FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Companion Fare, Multi-city flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1945828-companion-fare-multi-city-flights.html)

duceno1 Dec 14, 2018 2:36 pm

Companion Fare, Multi-city flights

Hi all. I am waiting to receive my next companion fare, but I was planning to use it for a multi-city flight (PHL-PDX, PDX-LAS with 3 days in between segments). Can anyone share if the companion fare rate would only cover one of the segments, or both? TIA!

Yu Zhong Dec 14, 2018 3:45 pm

Both, I think the limit the 4 segments and the routing can't backtrack, otherwise you can get it to price on the website.

lg20 Dec 14, 2018 4:45 pm

You can actually do PHL-PDX-LAS-SEA-DCA with as long of stopovers in PDX or SEA (Or LAX/ANC). That's usually how i get the most out of my companion pass. The open jaws just can't be bigger than the longer flights.

Flying for Fun Dec 14, 2018 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by lg20 (Post 30536754)
You can actually do PHL-PDX-LAS-SEA-DCA with as long of stopovers in PDX or SEA (Or LAX/ANC). That's usually how i get the most out of my companion pass. The open jaws just can't be bigger than the longer flights.

I get the most out of mine with multi-country itineraries. I had 10 segments and 4 countries on one before. ;)

James

TheotherJames Dec 14, 2018 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 30536783)
I get the most out of mine with multi-country itineraries. I had 10 segments and 4 countries on one before. ;)

James

Wait, the companion fairs work on partner airlines? (Mind blown)

jerry a. laska Dec 14, 2018 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by TheotherJames (Post 30536954)
Wait, the companion fairs work on partner airlines? (Mind blown)

No.

Your companion fare code can be applied to a new reservation made at alaskaair.com for Alaska Airlines flights only.
AS does fly to four countries at the moment.

Flying for Fun Dec 14, 2018 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Yu Zhong (Post 30536562)
Both, I think the limit the 4 segments and the routing can't backtrack, otherwise you can get it to price on the website.

Generally you work in one direction to your furthest point west or east and then back. Sometimes flying in the opposite direction is necessary to get to your next stop. If you are flying BOS-MCO there will be backtracking due to routing only. BOS-SAN-MCO is a valid segment or JFK-LAX-SJO to Costa Rica. As long as your next segment is further west you are okay. PHX-SEA-ANC-NHL-SEA-LAX is an example of flying continually West to your furthest point (HNL) and then turning back in the other direction.

Keep in mind it there are more than 4 segments between City A & City B (less than 4 hours connecting time) you will be unable to check-in online.

James

platinumorwhat Dec 15, 2018 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 30536783)

James

James, what are the details of these 10 segments? I would like to replicate your trip!

Flying for Fun Dec 15, 2018 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by platinumorwhat (Post 30540304)
James, what are the details of these 10 segments? I would like to replicate your trip!

Unfortunately, that itinerary can no longer be replicated. AS has tweaked their reservation system to disallow such an itinerary when using a companion certificate. You should be able to find something more that a one-way or return with the tips I outlined in my post. ;)

It did include Canada. USA, Mexico & Costa Rica. I shoot for a minimum of $500 savings with my companion certificates. I have, on a few occasions, exceeded $1000 in savings.

James

VegasGambler Dec 17, 2018 6:04 am

Just book full Y and you can save even more!

Oh, wait...

Flying for Fun Dec 18, 2018 1:38 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30544452)
Just book full Y and you can save even more!

Oh, wait...

Not sure what you are saying here but lets use your hamburger analogy. You can buy a Preminum Burger for $7 from the counter at the back of the restaurant which is wrapped in paper or you can buy a First Class burger for $14 when sitting in the restaurant out front and it is served on a china plate. Maybe buying one First Class burger out front isn't a good value for you. I might agree. However I have a coupon that allows me to Purchase a second burger for a dollar and you get upgraded to two First Class Burgers served on China out front for a $2 plate charge (upfare) if seating is available. I am happy to buy two Premium Burgers for $10; $7 for one, $1 for the other with the coupon plus $2 for the plate charge and enjoy two First Class Burgers out front on china. Keep in mind, the plate charge is only applicable to the $7 burger because the price of the second burger is always $1 with the coupon.

In essence, I get two First Class Burgers for $10 instead of 2 Premium Burgers for $14.

Similarly, I don't mind upfaring and flying 10 segments through 4 countries and securing 5 immediate upgrades with only 2 GGUs each (ANC-LAX-SJO & SJO-LAX-SEA-PVR), making a mini vacation out of it, earning 16K EQM, 36K RDM each for $1200 base, $99 companion ($1101 savings) plus taxes for an average cost of $85 per flight segment each.

Don't you think a confirmed F ANC-LAX for $85 is a good value? How about LAX-SJO, SJO-LAX, LAX-SEA, SEA-PVR? All confirmed F, all $85! 8 mainline flights, 5 confirmed into F, 1 complimentary upgrade and had to suffer two flights in Premium. ;)

I like to optimize the value of my companion certificates. Whenever I can be Flying for Fun and earn RDM at or below the cost to purchase them while earning EQM as a by product I will always fly before I buy.

Is your "Oh, wait!!!" a realization that your statement makes no sense?

James

VegasGambler Dec 18, 2018 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 30547998)

Is your "Oh, wait!!!" a realization that your statement makes no sense?

James

It points out that valuing the companion fare by the amount that you save (and nothing else) doesn't make sense.

I understand that you don't do this, but if that was truly the only thing that you were optimizing for, you would buy higher fare classes just to "save" more money with the companion fare.