Wiki Posts
Search

Is first class worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:03 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Those seats have always had issues like that. I'll still take it over the uncomfortable seats that barely recline and have no footrests like they have in the boeings.
I tend to favor larger cabins (meaning Boeing aircraft) that increase my upgrade odds (I had many years at AA with a 100% domestic upgrade rate - hard to match that at Alaska with 8 seat F cabins in play). I have about 20 flights in January-February and only one is on a Boeing aircraft. Will be interesting how that plays out with upgrades.

Tom in New York City today
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by tom911
I tend to favor larger cabins (meaning Boeing aircraft) that increase my upgrade odds (I had many years at AA with a 100% domestic upgrade rate - hard to match that at Alaska with 8 seat F cabins in play). ...
as an aside, it would be hard to match that on AA today, given the large fleet of 8F 319s inherited from US
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, National Executive, Alaska MVP
If you don't need to be loyal to AS, I'd look at Hawaiin Airline, they're the only one known to still serve a meal in economy.

I came back from HNL to SJC last night about 5 hrs flight. I flew with the family and was offerred to be in first class free upgrade on the way there for myself only and I denied it.

Depending on when you go, I recommend flying out mid week, tuesday/wed and returning the same. Your chances of the flight not being full is very high. We had half a plane on the way ther and was lounging out in the main cabin. Full flight last night but I thought it was ok. Being in F would have been better for sure but I wouldn't pay for it. I'd pay an extra $100pp for the for the F seats but not $250pp. If you're a relatively large person then the seats might be worth it but if you're an average size adult I think you'll do fine in the main cabin.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by dannieboiz
If you don't need to be loyal to AS, I'd look at Hawaiin Airline, they're the only one known to still serve a meal in economy.
I think you mean a "free" meal in economy. I recently sat in Y on a HA flight, and the two meals we had were completely inedible for us. Yuck! Strongly suggest one bring their own food with them.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, National Executive, Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by 747FC
I think you mean a "free" meal in economy. I recently sat in Y on a HA flight, and the two meals we had were completely inedible for us. Yuck! Strongly suggest one bring their own food with them.
I can't imagine it being any worse than the $9 sandwhich I paid for on AS. Cold and dried yuck!
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:38 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by robert79
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are going on a much needed vacation from LA to Maui (6 hour flight) in March. It costs $250 more per person each way to fly first class. I was thinking about just doing it for the flight to Maui and booking coach on the return flight. Money is not the issue for me but more so the value. I heard that first class on Alaska Airlines is not impressive.

Do you think it is worth it?
Split the difference, but differently. Book First Class for your wife both ways and buy a coach seat for yourself. You can thank me later.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by dannieboiz
I can't imagine it being any worse than the $9 sandwhich I paid for on AS. Cold and dried yuck!
I stand corrected: Free Yuck is better than Paid Yuck.
dannieboiz likes this.

Last edited by 747FC; Dec 17, 2018 at 8:48 pm
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:45 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note: A reminder that we're talking about the "value" of F, not upgrade policies or meal preferences.

A few off-topic posts have been deleted.

dayone, AS Moderator
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
once more, with feeling, I give y’all “Newton’s Law of the Online Forum” — for every self-proclaimed expert opinion, there is at least one equal and opposite self-proclaimed expert opinion

in other words, everyone has a different value proposition for what “worth it” means, and therefore no single opinion is THE authoritative opinion
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
once more, with feeling, I give y’all “Newton’s Law of the Online Forum” — for every self-proclaimed expert opinion, there is at least one equal and opposite self-proclaimed expert opinion
A corollary to that rule is, "And the expert opinion I just gave was the correct one!"
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AS MVP
For me, at least, it isn't even a question - the air transport experience has devolved (at least in my opinion) to a true hassle to get oneself from point A to point B. First class, even domestic, at a minimum, allows for reasonable legroom such that your knees aren't touching the seat in front and you aren't battling over armrest space (ugh!) and overhead compartment space. Like others have said, if $250 each way, isn't a stretch for you, I would simply do it. I would select Hawaiian from LAX, however, to experience something more special than narrow body domestic F. Lie-flat seats with a 70" pitch or so (6 across, staggered) versus a 36-38" configuration on a smallish narrow body - not even comparable. So, in a nutshell, fork out the extra $500-600 apiece on Alaska for a marginally special experience OR if you really want to experience International business class hard product for an extra $100 or so, fly an Hawaiian A330. Nice cabin and very good service for a 5-6 hour flight.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.