Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Baggage Limit 32Kg / 70LB per bag?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
AS Baggage Limit 32Kg / 70LB per bag?

I am trying to find out the max baggage limit per bag on AS.

I am flying in the morning to Mexico in F , I am also MVP Gold 75k, my singlebag weighs 70LB s, will this be checked without any oversized fees?

I understand that I can check in multiple bags for free but I only want to check in this one heavy bag.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by navatwal
I am trying to find out the max baggage limit per bag on AS.

I am flying in the morning to Mexico in F , I am also MVP Gold 75k, my singlebag weighs 70LB s, will this be checked without any oversized fees?

I understand that I can check in multiple bags for free but I only want to check in this one heavy bag.
If your baggage is overweight, >50lbs, you will be charged the overweight fee, $100, regardless of any baggage fee waivers.

Overweight bag fees.

James
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Firstly my ticket was purchased prior to 5th Dec 18.

Secondly the international standard max weight per bag is 70LB / 32KG.

With an allowance of 23KG x 4 (92KG) surely I cant be charged $100 for taking 32KGs in one bag right? That would suck
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:12 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...es/fee-changes

Any bag 51lbs or more is $75. If you don't want to pay the fee split the contents across two bags that are under 51 lbs.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Secondly the international standard max weight per bag is 70LB / 32KG.
Yes it is, but Alaska is not standard. Their limit is 50lb, regardless of your destination.

In fairness their international flights are mostly no longer than a mid-long domestic flight.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

You would hope that the allowance would supercede the overweight fee, especially for top tier elites elites travelling in F.

Alaska actually allow up to 100LBS for the overwieght bag which is not allowed by most airlines around the world.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You would hope that the allowance would supercede the overweight fee, especially for top tier elites elites travelling in F.
You can hope! The web page makes it pretty clear that that is not the case though.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:09 pm

This is actually a great example of how Alaska adopts the policies of the big three when it advantages them, and does their own thing when it advantages them. Adopting a higher baggage weight allowance for MVP Gold and up would be a welcome, and somewhat rare as of late, change that wouldn't cost Alaska anything (their apparent primary metric) but would be a flyer-friendly move for their most loved customers.
rustykettel and DrAlex like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
I've been bitten by this a few times. Self-connecting from a legacy carrier to a separate AS flight where my bags are over 50lbs. Trust me when I say that AS gives very little leeway for elites, even G75Ks, for bags over 51lbs...

Plan to repack or pay up.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Just packed into another suitcase.

Funny thing is extra bag means we need a bigger vehicle to take us to the airport, Uber xl is $55-75 more.

I would rather pay for a bigger car to airport than on excess baggage considering the circumstances.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
I wish they didn't make the third bag $100 even for elites. I wonder if you could buy a second ticket, since a $60 ticket on SEA-SFO or whatever which itself includes 1-2 bags is way better than $100 for a third bag.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by rdlmitedu
I wish they didn't make the third bag $100 even for elites. I wonder if you could buy a second ticket, since a $60 ticket on SEA-SFO or whatever which itself includes 1-2 bags is way better than $100 for a third bag.
Yes it appears so. No additional carryon allowance, but the baggage fee and waiver are per seat purchased.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...s/comfort-seat
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
Plus I guess you could have an item be "cabin seat baggage" (base fare plus 6.25% cargo tax, which is probably lower than other taxes on passengers...), so you could probably do 4x50lb + 100?lb cabin seat bag + carryon, for $49+$45 or so for SEA-SFO or SFO-LAS sometimes.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
This is the primary reason I find myself avoiding flying Alaska. I live in SF and would love to switch most of my flying to AS, but without the extra baggage allowance for Elites or in F, most of my trips would be highly problematic.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by roder
This is the primary reason I find myself avoiding flying Alaska. I live in SF and would love to switch most of my flying to AS, but without the extra baggage allowance for Elites or in F, most of my trips would be highly problematic.
Unless you are a top tier elite (which it looks like you are) or flying a premium F product, AA, DL and UA all charge $150 vs the $100 AS charges for extra bags (assuming MVP status). The part I find annoying is the 50 pound limit vs 70 pounds on AA, DL and UA (although I've never been given any trouble for having a bag around 55 pounds).

I'm *guessing* elites flying frequently with more than 2 bags is rare, but I agree, a 3rd bag could be a nice (low cost to AS) addition to MVPG75K benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.