Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Baggage Limit 32Kg / 70LB per bag?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2020, 11:54 am

Programs: AS 75K
I'm just guessing here with some of my knowledge from other industries but I would think the weight limit has less to do with status, etc. and everything to do with workers injuring themselves lugging around heavy bags. Also, it opens up job positions if the requirement is lifting 50# versus 70#.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by mtofell
I'm just guessing here with some of my knowledge from other industries but I would think the weight limit has less to do with status, etc. and everything to do with workers injuring themselves lugging around heavy bags. Also, it opens up job positions if the requirement is lifting 50# versus 70#.
You can check a bag up to 70 pounds on AS (for a fee) and active duty US military personnel can have up to 5 bags at 70 pounds per bag.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 4:51 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
If you are travelling on most of the internationals and on one ticket, AS will honor the 70 lb international limit for the number of bags allowed by the international carrier.
Otherwise, it's a fee for over the number of bags allowed and the #50 weight limit....AFAIK.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 11:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by BayAreaTrvler
This is actually a great example of how Alaska adopts the policies of the big three when it advantages them, and does their own thing when it advantages them. Adopting a higher baggage weight allowance for MVP Gold and up would be a welcome, and somewhat rare as of late, change that wouldn't cost Alaska anything (their apparent primary metric) but would be a flyer-friendly move for their most loved customers.
One of my biggest complaints about AS is the 50lb limit per bag. Elites (or at least higher level elites) and paid first class should be entitled to 70 lbs. (as military currently are allowed) and it is the general Oneworld standard for high level elites and business class passengers.

I often take a number of flights on separate tickets on AS prior to an international trip and If I have to pay $100 per flight it really adds up. I realize that I could take two bags, but when travelling internationally, two bags would be very difficult to manage. This has been a real hassle for me a number of times. It would definitely be a major benefit improvement for elites, especially as they are now a part of Oneworld.
ijkh, be_rettSEA and AinthePNW like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.