Lounge Access SFO T2

Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by safari ari
This is primarily because before the merger AS was <8% of SFO traffic (I have to double check the stats) (it is now ~11%) and they were also not flying out of T2. Now after the merger, VX having a landside for pay lounge, and no space in T2 to build a lounge with T1 construction also ongoing, there isn't much they can do and we are also talking about <1 year since the acquisition. Before buying VX AS was mainly focused on LAX, PDX, SEA and ANC as you can see by their lounge situations in these airport. Not to mention AS is always behind on their lounge updates, just look how long it took them to build a second lounge in their hub of SEA and now they are slowly updating the other ones.
Before the merger Alaska operated a lounge in the old gate area; Alaska chose both to close this lounge and acquire VX. There is nothing keeping Alaska from making a Priority Pass-style deal with a vendor at T2 to give Alaska Lounge members an offering at SFO.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
To be fair with regard to SJC, there's literally one lounge at SJC. I'm guessing there isn't space for more lounges and/or that no single airline has enough volume at SJC to want to pay for their own lounge.

https://onemileatatime.com/san-jose-...lounge-review/
For what it is worth American operated an Admirals Club at SJC for many years, and I believe that the facility remains empty. Alaska could also make a deal with The Club at SJC---just like their deal with The Club at LAS.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Before the merger Alaska operated a lounge in the old gate area; Alaska chose both to close this lounge and acquire VX. There is nothing keeping Alaska from making a Priority Pass-style deal with a vendor at T2 to give Alaska Lounge members an offering at SFO.
Where does AS ever have a PP style deal anywhere? PP doesnt even have a deal with any of the restaurants in T2, even though they have 2 deals in T3 and with AF lounge in A. T2 restaurants dont need a PP customer boost when they are obviously doing so well. While PP doesnt have a setup and that SFO wants to replace the AC with more retail shows T2 isnt struggling with organic sales.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Let us not forget a more complete history. Well prior to the merger, AS had to leave T1 due to impending demolition. AS moved all ops to Int'l A. AS had no lounge options in Int'l A except to contract with another lounge. (I believe that while the DL SC arrangement may have still been in effect, DL had already closed in the Int'l lounge.) AS finally contracted with the CX lounge. The (necessary) move to A was a big downgrade for those flying on F fares, as we lost our included lounge access. The move to T2 with respect to lounge access was reasonable at the time because BR (now AL) members could access the AA lounge. For whatever untold reason, that has now ended. So, for the most part, AS has provided some lounge access, until recently. My major gripe was that the arrangements didn't provide for F access in the contract/partner lounges in an airport where we'd historically have it. And do not forget that the VX passengers weren't accustomed to any T2 lounge, and could only access the VS lounge during limited hours, at the cost of a pretty penny per visit.
jiburi likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Let us not forget a more complete history. Well prior to the merger, AS had to leave T1 due to impending demolition. AS moved all ops to Int'l A. AS had no lounge options in Int'l A except to contract with another lounge. (I believe that while the DL SC arrangement may have still been in effect, DL had already closed in the Int'l lounge.) AS finally contracted with the CX lounge. The (necessary) move to A was a big downgrade for those flying on F fares, as we lost our included lounge access. The move to T2 with respect to lounge access was reasonable at the time because BR (now AL) members could access the AA lounge. For whatever untold reason, that has now ended. So, for the most part, AS has provided some lounge access, until recently. My major gripe was that the arrangements didn't provide for F access in the contract/partner lounges in an airport where we'd historically have it. And do not forget that the VX passengers weren't accustomed to any T2 lounge, and could only access the VS lounge during limited hours, at the cost of a pretty penny per visit.
That's exactly how I remembered. When all the dust settles, I'm sure Alaska will have its own lounge at its SFO hub, and the time of this transition will all be just a talk of what once was..... "Do you remember when Alaska had no lounge in SFO....."

Jiburi
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by jiburi
That's exactly how I remembered. When all the dust settles, I'm sure Alaska will have its own lounge at its SFO hub, and the time of this transition will all be just a talk of what once was..... "Do you remember when Alaska had no lounge in SFO....."

Jiburi
Totally agree. Just feel that while they may not be good, Alaska does have an opportunity not taken to make good to its SFO passengers.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Totally agree. Just feel that while they may not be good, Alaska does have an opportunity not taken to make good to its SFO passengers.
In a way, specific to their lounge members, they do with access to the CX lounge which is hands better than any of their actual lounge offerings.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The old AA SJC lounge is still intact and vacant. AS is now using Gate 10 in Terminal A, which is not that far away. It would be nice if they had Gates 1-10 and that lounge, but they're adding 4 gates (and no lounge space) to Terminal B on the Alaska end.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Just keep in mind that advice is only good for 2019 as AA will be moving to Terminal 1 early next year and the T2 lounge will be closed and turned into retail space.
Plus, AA is requiring a BP scan later this year. As a member I use the T2 lounge no matter whom I'm flying, but that will stop in November when I'm on AS.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
It's a little messed up that AA is requiring a BP scan if you're a straight up paying AA Club member... it does say "AA boarding pass or partner airline" so AS would still qualify for entry.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Originally Posted by nearlysober
It's a little messed up that AA is requiring a BP scan if you're a straight up paying AA Club member...
Not sure how widespread this is - I visit admiral clubs 2-3 times per week and I have yet to be asked for my boarding pass.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
According to the AA Club website, the BP policy doesn't officially take place until Nov 1st 2019. I'm guessing they must've given 12 month notice on that change so people could be aware before they renewed.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by bbison
Plus, AA is requiring a BP scan later this year. As a member I use the T2 lounge no matter whom I'm flying, but that will stop in November when I'm on AS.
Even after the November changes take effect, you can still access the Admirals Club when flying AS.

As per AA policy:

Items needed, depending on qualifications:

• Government-issued photo ID
  • Admirals Club membership card or Citi / AAdvantage Executive World EliteTM MasterCard or AAdvantage elite status card
  • Boarding passes for same-day travel on American Airlines or partner airlines1

1 Any departing or arriving flight: marketed or operated by American Airlines, marketed and operated by any oneworld partner carrier, marketed and operated by American Airlines or Alaska Airlines in any combination

Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
and could only access the VS lounge during limited hours, at the cost of a pretty penny per visit.
$35 and worth every penny. Full service meal (not a buffet or self-serve) ordered off a menu, with a reasonable selection, and great food. The meal alone was well worth the cost of admission.
steve64 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, Hilton Diamond
New Lounge?

Was told by a lounge employee that AS is green lighted for a lounge in SFO. Well see how long that takes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.