Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge Access SFO T2

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
For those with PP too, there are two dining options in T3 as well now

You can get stuff 'to go' as well. The lobster roll isn't bad.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
Related question as I consider an AS BR membership, is getting into the A gates when you have a flight out of T2 no problem at all?
If you are an SFO-based Alaska Airlines customer, you will probably be happier with an AA Admirals Club membership. The closest lounge to the AS gates at SFO is also the only AA lounge not to allow in Alaska Club memberships. The best value way to get an AC membership, imho, is to sign up for the AA Exec credit card.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
If you are an SFO-based Alaska Airlines customer, you will probably be happier with an AA Admirals Club membership. The closest lounge to the AS gates at SFO is also the only AA lounge not to allow in Alaska Club memberships. The best value way to get an AC membership, imho, is to sign up for the AA Exec credit card.
Exactly, the AA Executive credit card as you can also authorize up to 10 users who also get lounge access, and will be less of an annual fee come Nov when the AC membership cost goes up. Overall though, unless you really value lounges, you could easily spend up to $450 and get more out of T2.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by safari ari
Exactly, the AA Executive credit card as you can also authorize up to 10 users who also get lounge access, and will be less of an annual fee come Nov when the AC membership cost goes up. Overall though, unless you really value lounges, you could easily spend up to $450 and get more out of T2.
Only the primary cardholder gets access to AS lounges. I use the Admirals Club in SFO as an arrivals lounge too. AS is moving to T3 in PHX next year. I will go to T4 and use the AC clubs there. TSA Pre is pretty quick at both T3 & T4 and the SkyTrain between them is a less complicated way to get between them.

James
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:47 pm

Wanted to post some pictures of the CX lounge in Intl A of what typical AS Lounge members will get when visiting when there is no CX flight within ~3 hours.

Fruit and Chips

Assorted Pastries, chicken soup in the background

Beer and non-alcoholic beverages (perrier, CD tonic water, coke products, bottled water)

More beer and juices (Very good beer selection, including craft brews, tsing tao, and macros heinkein, stella)

Liquor and cakes (background has a white and red wine and a cheap rose champagne)

Salad ingredients and sandwiches(turkey, tuna, salmon crostini, and veggie sometimes)

Chicken soup is also available in a pot.

When a CX flight is departing there is more food options.
These include, Cumin Lamb, Kung Pao Chicken, Cod, pork and vegetables. Rice, self service noodles and the usual noodle bar (Dan Dan noodles, dumplings etc). Another champagne and wine offerings, as well as Milano cookies are also available.

Last edited by safari ari; Jan 8, 2019 at 12:32 pm
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This looks 100x better then what you get in domestic airline lounges

At this point, when flying domestically, I just look for a restaurant that accepts priority pass, so I can get some real food.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:25 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by beckoa
For those with PP too, there are two dining options in T3 as well now
I drove down before morning commute today, a few hours before my Alaska departure, and popped into T3/UA terminal for breakfast at Yankee Pier. Had a meat lover's omelette which came with sausage and bacon (they were out of ham or that would have been included) With tea and a large orange juice, just over $26 and covered by Priority Pass. I'll try the Giant's Clubhouse next visit.

beckoa likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:37 am

I've always wondered what's the rationale for this? Singling out SFO for potential overcrowding? I can't ever recall the SFO in AC ever being overcrowded or have anything more than standardized AC offerings, which would set them apart from, say, the rest of the domestic ACs.

Agreed with the sentiments that using PP at a restaurant is preferable to domestic airline lounges.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by Visconti
I've always wondered what's the rationale for this? Singling out SFO for potential overcrowding? I can't ever recall the SFO in AC ever being overcrowded or have anything more than standardized AC offerings, which would set them apart from, say, the rest of the domestic ACs.

Agreed with the sentiments that using PP at a restaurant is preferable to domestic airline lounges.
I suspect the number of paid combined AS/VS F seats plus club members would overwhelm the club. I've been in their by virtue of being on an SFO-JFK F ticket and found it to be reasonably busy as is.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
I suspect the number of paid combined AS/VS F seats plus club members would overwhelm the club. I've been in their by virtue of being on an SFO-JFK F ticket and found it to be reasonably busy as is.
Only AL members have access to partner lounges. Access based on cabin is limited to AL lounges only.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by rustykettel

Only AL members have access to partner lounges. Access based on cabin is limited to AL lounges only.
good point
2BGO likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
AFAIK Alaska at SFO is the only domestic hub in the United States without a lounge from the operator of the hub. For what it is worth, they don't fly to SFO from Alaska either. Both facts remain mysteries to me.

Overall it seems like Alaska underspends on lounges compared to its peers with no lounge at the SJC and SAN focus cities either. This might be because they spend far more on paying for members to access third party lounges. The only comparison is United which allows club members to access all *A member-owned lounges while on *A, although my instinct is that the venn diagram of "United Club Member," "frequent international traveler on *A," "No *Gold Status," but "knows about this obscure access rule" might be rather limited.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:05 pm

AFAIK Alaska at SFO is the only domestic hub in the United States without a lounge from the operator of the hub. For what it is worth, they don't fly to SFO from Alaska either. Both facts remain mysteries to me.
This is primarily because before the merger AS was <8% of SFO traffic (I have to double check the stats) (it is now ~11%) and they were also not flying out of T2. Now after the merger, VX having a landside for pay lounge, and no space in T2 to build a lounge with T1 construction also ongoing, there isn't much they can do and we are also talking about <1 year since the acquisition. Before buying VX AS was mainly focused on LAX, PDX, SEA and ANC as you can see by their lounge situations in these airport. Not to mention AS is always behind on their lounge updates, just look how long it took them to build a second lounge in their hub of SEA and now they are slowly updating the other ones.
Boraxo likes this.

Last edited by safari ari; Jan 9, 2019 at 3:26 pm
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Overall it seems like Alaska underspends on lounges compared to its peers with no lounge at the SJC and SAN focus cities either. This might be because they spend far more on paying for members to access third party lounges. The only comparison is United which allows club members to access all *A member-owned lounges while on *A, although my instinct is that the venn diagram of "United Club Member," "frequent international traveler on *A," "No *Gold Status," but "knows about this obscure access rule" might be rather limited.
To be fair with regard to SJC, there's literally one lounge at SJC. I'm guessing there isn't space for more lounges and/or that no single airline has enough volume at SJC to want to pay for their own lounge.

https://onemileatatime.com/san-jose-...lounge-review/
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Just keep in mind that advice is only good for 2019 as AA will be moving to Terminal 1 early next year and the T2 lounge will be closed and turned into retail space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.