Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Unaccompanied minors using AS Visa Companion Fare

Unaccompanied minors using AS Visa Companion Fare

Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Yes, a companion certificate can be shared. If you want your MP Account to be closed and lose all your miles, feel free to sell it!

James
i dont have any single one.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no reason to worry. Calling and asking does nothing as phone agents make mistakes all the time and they can't necessarily read better than you can.

1. You are the purchaser. Check
2, The CC you use must match the name of the purchaser. Check
3. The two kids are the passengers Check
4. The UM issue is a red herring. Could be your two maiden aunts just as well. Check
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by Often1
4. The UM issue is a red herring. Could be your two maiden aunts just as well. Check
Reason I suggest quoting is OP's question:

2. If my wife and I are flying with them on the other flights, do I only pay the unaccompanied minor fee for the one flight on which they are in fact unaccompanied?
While I can't be certain, I'd expect the online booking to not allow two different routings be linked for the purposes of UM. Could totally be wrong, but that would be a decent loophole...
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by williwaw
While I can't be certain, I'd expect the online booking to not allow two different routings be linked for the purposes of UM. Could totally be wrong, but that would be a decent loophole...
I'd be surprised if it didn't error out as well, curious to hear the result.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I'd be surprised if it didn't error out as well, curious to hear the result.
My concern is that I believe you lose the companion code if you cancel within 24 hours. So if it doesn't work I might be out of luck .

One other idea is to book the two minors with incorrect birth years so they go through as adults, then call in within 24 hours to correct their birth years, link to the adult reservation, and pay the UM fee for the one UM flight. Any idea if that's possible?

It might be a while until I actually get this booked, but I'll be sure to post the results here .
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by PDXpress
My concern is that I believe you lose the companion code if you cancel within 24 hours. So if it doesn't work I might be out of luck .

One other idea is to book the two minors with incorrect birth years so they go through as adults, then call in within 24 hours to correct their birth years, link to the adult reservation, and pay the UM fee for the one UM flight. Any idea if that's possible?

It might be a while until I actually get this booked, but I'll be sure to post the results here .
I'd be concerned too. I'd suggest calling Customer Care, not Reservations, and laying out the entire situation before booking anything just to see what input they have.
JacksonFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why does it matter that they are or are not linked?

The kids are traveling as UM's and the parents might or might not be traveling at all.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
The 4 of us will be traveling together on the first 3 legs but then the kids will fly a last leg (ATL-PDX nonstop) by themselves.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by pbd456
so the companion code can be shared freely? interesting.

Can these companion tickets be sold online?
The Mileage Plan™ member who owns the companion fare code must either be one of the travelers or the purchaser of the reservation. If the member is allowing two travelers to use his or her companion fare code, then the member's name must match the name on the credit card used to purchase the reservation.

I gave mine away to a fellow classmate so he could take his SO home for Christmas. I had to book the fight with my card and didn't get anything in exchange for the code.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Glob, EX-AS 75k
Use of the companion fare is fine per all the above guidance.
Booking the kids as UMs on only one leg of their journey is a manual operation but completely possible.
Suggest:
1) Book adults' itinerary
2) Book kids' itinerary online using your companion code -- enter one of their birth year as 2000 instead of their actual birth year so that you can book their itinerary online (as their entire journey is not an allowable UM booking)
3) Call AS UM line and ask them to
a) Link your reservations
b) Adjust your kid's birth year to be correct
c) Mark their single leg as UM after explaining

You may get an agent who does not know how to do this, but it is completely possible for the kids to "become" UMs partway through their journey. It must be the last part of the journey in either direction. I have done this a dozen times.
williwaw, rustykettel and PDXpress like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by michellt
You may get an agent who does not know how to do this, but it is completely possible for the kids to "become" UMs partway through their journey. It must be the last part of the journey in either direction. I have done this a dozen times.
Do you have to go landslide to the ticket counter to do the paperwork (and within the listed cutoff times) or can it be done airside with a gate agent (outstation) or service desk (SEA)?
Old Mar 6, 2023, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Back at it 4+ years later... new problem: You can't book multi-city unaccompanied minor trips online. Why not book as two one-ways? Because I want to use a Companion Fare.

Both kids are MVPs, so unaccompanied minor fee is waived. Trying to book them using a companion fare. So do I:
A. Just call in, give the agent the companion fare code and have them book it. I haven't booked a flight over the phone in decades.
B. Book it with incorrect birth years making the minors adults, then call in and have agent adjust birth years.

I'm feeling bad that I never reported back on what I did and how it worked in 2018, but I can't remember that trip at all, or if maybe it didn't even happen. Getting old.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
A. Call in
Old Mar 10, 2023, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

This was messier than I remembered. Here's the trick for using a Companion Fare for a multi-city unaccompanied minor ticket.

1. The companion fare cannot be used over the phone, and must be used online.
2. Multi-city unaccompanied minor tickets cannot be booked online, and must be booked over the phone.

When I call, the nice Alaska rep in Boise acknowledges and apologizes for their system limitations and works with me to figure out how to get it done! It does involve booking online with a birth year that is not a minor, then having the phone rep correct the birth year.

I compare this to the absolutely maddening conversations I have had with American and British Airlines reps in the past year, who invariably tell you their limitations and that nothing can be done.
philemer likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 11:53 pm

This was messier than I remembered. Here's the trick for using a Companion Fare for a multi-city unaccompanied minor ticket.

1. The companion fare cannot be used over the phone, and must be used online.
2. Multi-city unaccompanied minor tickets cannot be booked online, and must be booked over the phone.

When I call, the nice Alaska rep in Boise acknowledges and apologizes for their system limitations and works with me to figure out how to get it done! It does involve booking online with a birth year that is not a minor, then having the phone rep correct the birth year.

I compare this to the absolutely maddening conversations I have had with American and British Airlines reps in the past year, who invariably tell you their limitations and that nothing can be done.
Why not use 1 companion fare for 1 adult and 1 child itinerary and the other companion fare for the other adult and the other child itinerary?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.