Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Unaccompanied minors using AS Visa Companion Fare

Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist

I'm planning a multileg trip for the family using 2 companion fares. The 4 of us will be traveling together on the first 3 legs but then the kids will fly a last leg (ATL-PDX nonstop) by themselves.

3 questions:
1. Can I book 1 companion fare for the two kids?

2. If my wife and I are flying with them on the other flights, do I only pay the unaccompanied minor fee for the one flight on which they are in fact unaccompanied?

3. Is there a way to do this online, or will I need to call?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
May be denied boarding as it violates the fare rule
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by pbd456
Which rule? The two parents could use one companion and the two kids share another. The companion doesn't need to be one of the holders of the companion voucher, just being the "purchaser" is permitted.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Too many moving parts for "me" to figure out. I would play safe and call rather than take a gamble.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
How so? It seems like it would work to me. Assuming Parent #1 & #2 are on one reservation and Kid #1 & #2 are on another, I don't see the problem:

"The Mileage Plan member who owns the companion fare code must either be one of the travelers or the purchaser of the reservation. If the member is allowing two travelers to use his or her companion fare code, then the member's name must match the name on the credit card used to purchase the reservation."

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-discount-code
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This only works if one of the kids is the cardholder

The companion fare entitles the cardholder to purchase one round-trip coach companion fare on Alaska Airlines from $121 (USD) ($99 base fare plus applicable taxes and fees from $22 depending on your flight itinerary) when traveling with another passenger on a paid published coach airfare on the same itinerary, booked at the same time.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: AS MVPG
I'd go ahead and try to book them online to see how far you get. Kids first of course. If it works, I'd then link the reservations to show that they'd be accompanied on the first three legs. I'd then call about the unaccompanied leg. If it doesn't let you book online, then I'd call.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
This only works if one of the kids is the cardholder
I believe as long as the kids live in the same house, a companion fare can be used for them as long as the cardholder purchases it. We've been able to do this in the past.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:53 am

How old are the kids? I've done exactly what you're trying to do with two 16 year-olds. (Had no problem with them on the companion certificate and not being the primary cardholder.) See here:

"Unaccompanied Minors: Alaska considers children ages 12 and under who are traveling without a parent, guardian, or other responsible Adult age 18 or older to be Unaccompanied Minors and subject to the policies described below. Children ages 13 years old through 17 years old are not subject to the policies and fees applicable to Unaccompanied Minors when traveling on Alaska unless they are connecting to another Carrier that uses different age thresholds to define Unaccompanied Minors. When two or more Unaccompanied Minors are traveling together, the most restrictive age requirement will apply."

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/le...rriage/rule-13
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:55 am

The purchaser of the ticket does not have to be the traveler. No mention in the FAQ about minors.

"The Mileage Plan™ member who owns the companion fare code must either be one of the travelers or the purchaser of the reservation. If the member is allowing two travelers to use his or her companion fare code, then the member's name must match the name on the credit card used to purchase the reservation."

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-discount-code
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
so the companion code can be shared freely? interesting.

Can these companion tickets be sold online?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*

Well, not exactly freely, the recipient of the code has to be the purchaser, but not necessarily a traveler.

And selling them online is good way to get MP Fraud involved if you do, since you'd be violating the T&C's of MP if you're caught.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flytoeat
How old are the kids? I've done exactly what you're trying to do with two 16 year-olds. (Had no problem with them on the companion certificate and not being the primary cardholder.)
I guess I'm glad to see this really is as complicated as I thought.

I have used the companion fare to book tickets for my brother- and sister-in-law before, so I know the cardholder doesn't have to be on the reservation.

The trick may be that the kids are 8 and 5 so they can't do connecting flights unaccompanied. One of the legs is MFR-PDX-BZN so the AS website won't let me book them unaccompanied.

So it seems the option is to book my wife and me first and I will then have a confirmation number to use in the "Link to Adult Reservation" field. Does the itinerary have to be an exact match? Will it reject it because my wife and I aren't flying ATL-PDX?

From AS website:
"Children under the age of 13 on Alaska Airlines flights must be linked to an adult reservation. Please book the adult reservation first and have the confirmation code available to enter on the Traveler Information page."
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold

Yes, a companion certificate can be shared. If you want your MP Account to be closed and lose all your miles, feel free to sell it!

James
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by PDXpress
"Children under the age of 13 on Alaska Airlines flights must be linked to an adult reservation. Please book the adult reservation first and have the confirmation code available to enter on the Traveler Information page."
Probably worth a call. I have often booked my family of four using two companion fares. As the website instructs, I book the adults first and then use the code to link for two kids. But I assume the system will notice a different routing and throw up an error. Curious to see what happens for you.

Used to be I could use my status to pick seats up front for my pair, and then ask my kids be kindly moved nearby. Last time I asked for that I got a finger wag from the CSR so I am not sure if I can repeat that....

Last edited by williwaw; Dec 10, 2018 at 1:31 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.