FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Short for Elite Qualification by XXX Miles? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1944732-short-elite-qualification-xxx-miles.html)

goldpaws Dec 8, 2018 3:01 pm

Short for Elite Qualification by XXX Miles?

Hi there - I currently have MVP status. By the end of 2018 I'll be 881 miles short of MVP Gold.

I think I read somewhere that if you're <500 miles short of a status level, they'll grant it to you. Is that true?

Thanks!

Mauibaby2008 Dec 8, 2018 3:09 pm

They won’t grant it, but they’ll sell it to you *if you’re targeted.

jrl767 Dec 8, 2018 3:20 pm

any round-trip will be at least 1000 miles; OP didn’t give a location, but there are probably a fair number of markets where they’re still reasonably inexpensive

Seat 2A Dec 8, 2018 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by goldpaws (Post 30513662)
Hi there - I currently have MVP status. By the end of 2018 I'll be 881 miles short of MVP Gold.

I think I read somewhere that if you're <500 miles short of a status level, they'll grant it to you. Is that true? Thanks!

You don't score a touchdown if you only make it to the three yard line.

If it were me, I wouldn't want to risk it. Buy some peace of mind and take a quick weekend or day trip in the next couple of weeks.

PaperGlider Dec 8, 2018 3:23 pm

The sale of status miles has not appeared to be a bargain compared to flying but it could save a busy person the time of flying.
If you expect to fly on Alaska Airlines much next year, isn't there somewhere you could go to achieve 881 miles?

Often1 Dec 8, 2018 3:29 pm

OP - Your profile and post do not disclose where you are based. But, in any event, if you have some time on your hands, take a day and fly somewhere cheap and back. Or make it a quick destination, have a good time and return the next day. You may - stress may - be offered the opportunity to buy those miles, but they will likely be expensive and you can't be assured of it.

pbd456 Dec 8, 2018 3:53 pm

find a round trip short haul and enjoy the saver fare!

goldpaws Dec 8, 2018 3:56 pm

Thanks everyone - I'm new to this whole thing. I'm based in PDX, and there are lots of options. I'm just trying to maximize for time at home during the holidays. Quick question - does paying for first class increase the EQM you earn on a trip? I've read conflicting information.

Seat 2A Dec 8, 2018 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by goldpaws (Post 30513803)
Thanks everyone - I'm new to this whole thing. I'm based in PDX, and there are lots of options. I'm just trying to maximize for time at home during the holidays. Quick question - does paying for first class increase the EQM you earn on a trip? I've read conflicting information.

Portland! You could hardly be in a finer spot for an inexpensive mileage run. Go get 'em!
As to First Class and EQM, I don't believe so. I think you get bonus miles but the EQM remains the same.

Flying for Fun Dec 8, 2018 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 30513815)
Portland! You could hardly be in a finer spot for an inexpensive mileage run. Go get 'em!
As to First Class and EQM, I don't believe so. I think you get bonus miles but the EQM remains the same.

If you purchase F or P, class of service bonus is 75% and is EQM. A P ticket will accrue a minimum 500 + 375 = 875 EQM. Still 6 miles short of 881.

Do a return on the cheapest, shortest flight for 1000 EQM and you are all set.

RAD_PDX Dec 8, 2018 4:20 pm

I inquired a few weeks ago and received the following in an email:

"At this time we can not make an exception for this status. We do sometimes look at the account at the end of the year. But with those exceptions, you would need to be closer to at least one of the three tiers."

At the time, I had travel scheduled that would have put me very close to the mark, however, they did not look at that or consider that in their answer.

With all of that said, go enjoy lunch in Seattle some day.

Chugach Dec 8, 2018 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by goldpaws (Post 30513803)

Just do a quick PDX-SEA-PDX. Couldn’t be easier.

ijkh Dec 8, 2018 4:26 pm

Fancy a weekend in Bend? How about a trip to Ashland (medford) You have so many options. Go take a day and fly a round trip for 1000 miles. I will be under 10k short of mvpg boo hoo hoo.

Toshbaf Dec 8, 2018 4:27 pm

If you fly to Oakland or SFO, you will have more than enough miles. You may also have a relaxing round trip.

Eujeanie Dec 8, 2018 5:44 pm

He's going to get 500 each way...unless he's moving to the city, how will he not have a RT for 1,000?

I would just do the PDX SEA shuttle.