Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Short for Elite Qualification by XXX Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Short for Elite Qualification by XXX Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Alaska might sell you the last thousand miles for a few hundred dollars.

Probably easier to hop to yyz or somewhere in the Caribbean. Next year this time that won't be an option.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
I believe traditionally 500miles was the absolute max, and even that wasn't guaranteed. Where on the east coast?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:26 am

DC area.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Call and ask, if they say no, book the DCA-YYZ-DCA flights? Unless the flights are super-expensive, you're talking 50k AS miles. That has some cash value, right?

I don't see why asking the FT crowd really matters- it's up to AS to decide, not the collective wisdom of FT.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:48 pm

40 miles short of MVPG status tier

Anyone have experience calling in when short of a status tier? I’m on my last flight of the year and once this posts I’ll be at 39,960 — 40 miles short. I know it’s at their discretion but is it even worthwhile trying?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Call and ask, if they say no, book the DCA-YYZ-DCA flights? Unless the flights are super-expensive, you're talking 50k AS miles. That has some cash value, right?

I don't see why asking the FT crowd really matters- it's up to AS to decide, not the collective wisdom of FT.
Only if you are willing to pay. (WTP) Apparently mine are worthless. Factually though, the miles themselves have no cash value, right? lol

James
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by sfdrj
Anyone have experience calling in when short of a status tier? I’m on my last flight of the year and once this posts I’ll be at 39,960 — 40 miles short. I know it’s at their discretion but is it even worthwhile trying?
Call and ask, they'll likely offer a one time exception and bump you up.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Only if you are willing to pay. (WTP) Apparently mine are worthless. Factually though, the miles themselves have no cash value, right? lol

James
I mean, is it worth a Saturday (or whatever) flying to nowhere (immediate turn just for the EQM) for (hypothetically) $400 on DCA-YYZ-DCA to get 50,000 miles?

IOW: would you fly CX J one way to Asia for $400?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
I mean, is it worth a Saturday (or whatever) flying to nowhere (immediate turn just for the EQM) for (hypothetically) $400 on DCA-YYZ-DCA to get 50,000 miles?

IOW: would you fly CX J one way to Asia for $400?
Plus the miles from the increased earn in 2020 (which if you are close to 90k again is 22k more RDM....
Old Dec 11, 2019, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I'd save the favor and hop on a flight ^

There's even a discount code floating around for 20% off if you book soon.

20% off Alaska Air Flights courtesy of Starbucks - thru 11:59 p.m. (PT) 12/13/19
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
I'd save the favor and hop on a flight ^

There's even a discount code floating around for 20% off if you book soon.

20% off Alaska Air Flights courtesy of Starbucks - thru 11:59 p.m. (PT) 12/13/19
Might want to check the discount coupon terms.

Travel Valid From: January 7, 2020.

Travel Complete: March 4, 2020.

Blackout Dates: February 13-23, 2020.
Not going to be much good for someone needing EQM by 12/31.

FWIW, AS single day turns WAS-Most West Coast™ are going to run around $600 and up all through December. DCA-YYZ-DCA on AA is cheaper in late December.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Dec 11, 2019 at 4:10 pm
Old Dec 11, 2019, 4:07 pm

Might want to check the discount coupon terms before you send people on a wild goose chase.

Not going to be much good for someone needing EQM by 12/31.

FWIW, the cheapest single day turn WAS-SEA is Christmas. "Sorry to be the Grinch, family, I have to get my 75K. You're on your own"
Ha... didn't realize it excluded those dates.

Thanks
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
Ha... didn't realize it excluded those dates.

Thanks
No worries, but AS giving you 20% off during Christmas, one of the most profitable/big flying times of the year? That would have been a pretty amazing (as in "you idiot who used to work here at Alaska, why are you giving away money?!?!?!") deal.

We're well into the "domestic flying is super expensive through the end of year" season now. The time to do cheap MRs is mostly behind us. Now it's all "grab your wallet and open it if you want that status, or fly internationally".

PS: OP, you should probably look here if AS goes "can't help you, fly or be stuck in MVPG":

AS: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
jjmadison likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: AA 2MM former EXP - driven away by "Enhancements", MVPG75, Hilton Diamond
I'm going to be 11 miles short of 75k tonight.

I have a SEA-PDX-SEA booked for tomorrow morning - it's a MR, as I thought I'd be further away. If today's SFO-SEA flight posts quickly (that get's me to 74,989 miles), I think I will call. I want my 50k bonus. But I also don't want to fly if I don't have to!

If I had figured this out earlier, I would have flown to SJC instead of SFO and this would be a moot point.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: AA 2MM former EXP - driven away by "Enhancements", MVPG75, Hilton Diamond
Note for anyone calling. You need to call Customer Relations. Reservations cannot help you with a question about status. My EQM's posted after 7 p.m. last night, so I could not get an answer from Customer Relations. I did the PDX round trip this morning, so no need to call anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.