Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Short for Elite Qualification by XXX Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Short for Elite Qualification by XXX Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: Alaska / Hilton / Amtrak / Avis
I was 600 miles short, and the Customer Care rep said the only ways to get to status was to 1) fly the miles before Jan. 1; 2) buy status at $499 for the year, or 3) enroll in the "quick catch up" promotion program that requires you to fly 5,000 miles on AS or AS-numbered flights (fns 1-999, 2000-2999, and 3450-3499) ONLY between Jan 15 and April 15 (no AA, etc.). Given my destinations through April (and Alaska's crappy routing that denies us even one eastbound flight from SMF a day), the third option didn't look likely. So, I'm doing a down and back to SAN before Tuesday. A bit meh for being so close, but other travel throughout the year means the status is worth it to me.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by apbailey
3) enroll in the "quick catch up" promotion program that requires you to fly 5,000 miles on AS or AS-numbered flights (fns 1-999, 2000-2999, and 3450-3499) ONLY between Jan 15 and April 15 (no AA, etc.).
Is this challenge a well-known thing? I couldn't find any mention of this elsewhere. I have flights booked and I'd love a shortcut to some status for 2019.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond
I was 41 miles short of 75K requalification and they bumped me.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Originally Posted by thegingninj
I was 41 miles short of 75K requalification and they bumped me.
Is that for this year? Did you contact Mileage Plan or request it in any way?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by soartoday
Is that for this year? Did you contact Mileage Plan or request it in any way?

Yes, I called customer care. I told them I had no problem booking another flight if needbe, but I'd prefer not to - especially as I had a round trip last week that was supposed to route through seattle in both directions, but delays forced me to reroute direct. The rep put me on hold a few times and remarked her supervisors were giving her mixed feedback, but they eventually worked it out.
soartoday likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by thegingninj
Yes, I called customer care. I told them I had no problem booking another flight if needbe, but I'd prefer not to - especially as I had a round trip last week that was supposed to route through seattle in both directions, but delays forced me to reroute direct. The rep put me on hold a few times and remarked her supervisors were giving her mixed feedback, but they eventually worked it out.
Why didn't you request Original Routing Credit for your flights last week?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Others here have said that they will not give ORC in case of a reroute (but will give ORC if you are rebooked on another carrier)

Others have also said that they put a note on your account, and if original routing would have gotten you a higher status level, they will give it to you.

The moral is, always try to get rerouted on another carrier so you can double dip
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Others here have said that they will not give ORC in case of a reroute (but will give ORC if you are rebooked on another carrier)

Others have also said that they put a note on your account, and if original routing would have gotten you a higher status level, they will give it to you.

The moral is, always try to get rerouted on another carrier so you can double dip
No, back when we were obsessed with getting MVPG, we would book 3 hops all the time (EUG/PDX/SEA - to wherever) and the reverse...sometimes we would miss a connection and they would book us EUG/SEA - or the reverse - and we would always request ORC to get that extra 500 miles. Never, not ever, was another carrier involved.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In many cases, re-routes on another carrier will be designated as non-mileage earning flights by those carriers.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LBJ
In many cases, re-routes on another carrier will be designated as non-mileage earning flights by those carriers.
When they rebooked me on AA it was actually full Y -- I got an EQM bonus. Unfortunately the fare was still pretty low... $225 or something (for SFO-NYC), so I didn't get many RDM.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
No, back when we were obsessed with getting MVPG, we would book 3 hops all the time (EUG/PDX/SEA - to wherever) and the reverse...sometimes we would miss a connection and they would book us EUG/SEA - or the reverse - and we would always request ORC to get that extra 500 miles. Never, not ever, was another carrier involved.
Yes, but, this year, there have been reports of them refusing to do that.

Edit: Link: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26227591-post1.html
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:23 pm

Yes, but, this year, there have been reports of them refusing to do that.

Edit: Link: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26227591-post1.html
Wow, I'm glad I don't care anymore. Chip, chip, chip, CHUNK.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: AS, DL
Wow, I'm glad I don't care anymore. Chip, chip, chip, CHUNK.
Eujeanie, just curious, are you not obsessed with making MVPG anymore? Or are you just exceeding the MVPG threshold by quite a bit this year?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:42 am

We barely made MVP this year. Ended with exactly 20,031 miles. So as you can see this year if I needed any ORC it really was a necessity.

Think if I call Alaska they'll bump us the 19,969 miles we need back up to MVPG? LOL
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Think if I call Alaska they'll bump us the 19,969 miles we need back up to MVPG? LOL
Never know unless you call (and waste 10-15 minutes)!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.