Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Short for Elite Qualification by XXX Miles?

Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Hi there - I currently have MVP status. By the end of 2018 I'll be 881 miles short of MVP Gold.

I think I read somewhere that if you're <500 miles short of a status level, they'll grant it to you. Is that true?

Thanks!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
They wont grant it, but theyll sell it to you *if youre targeted.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
any round-trip will be at least 1000 miles; OP didn’t give a location, but there are probably a fair number of markets where they’re still reasonably inexpensive
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by goldpaws
Hi there - I currently have MVP status. By the end of 2018 I'll be 881 miles short of MVP Gold.

I think I read somewhere that if you're <500 miles short of a status level, they'll grant it to you. Is that true? Thanks!
You don't score a touchdown if you only make it to the three yard line.

If it were me, I wouldn't want to risk it. Buy some peace of mind and take a quick weekend or day trip in the next couple of weeks.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
The sale of status miles has not appeared to be a bargain compared to flying but it could save a busy person the time of flying.
If you expect to fly on Alaska Airlines much next year, isn't there somewhere you could go to achieve 881 miles?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Your profile and post do not disclose where you are based. But, in any event, if you have some time on your hands, take a day and fly somewhere cheap and back. Or make it a quick destination, have a good time and return the next day. You may - stress may - be offered the opportunity to buy those miles, but they will likely be expensive and you can't be assured of it.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
find a round trip short haul and enjoy the saver fare!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - I'm new to this whole thing. I'm based in PDX, and there are lots of options. I'm just trying to maximize for time at home during the holidays. Quick question - does paying for first class increase the EQM you earn on a trip? I've read conflicting information.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks everyone - I'm new to this whole thing. I'm based in PDX, and there are lots of options. I'm just trying to maximize for time at home during the holidays. Quick question - does paying for first class increase the EQM you earn on a trip? I've read conflicting information.
Portland! You could hardly be in a finer spot for an inexpensive mileage run. Go get 'em!
As to First Class and EQM, I don't believe so. I think you get bonus miles but the EQM remains the same.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Portland! You could hardly be in a finer spot for an inexpensive mileage run. Go get 'em!
As to First Class and EQM, I don't believe so. I think you get bonus miles but the EQM remains the same.
If you purchase F or P, class of service bonus is 75% and is EQM. A P ticket will accrue a minimum 500 + 375 = 875 EQM. Still 6 miles short of 881.

Do a return on the cheapest, shortest flight for 1000 EQM and you are all set.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I inquired a few weeks ago and received the following in an email:

"At this time we can not make an exception for this status. We do sometimes look at the account at the end of the year. But with those exceptions, you would need to be closer to at least one of the three tiers."

At the time, I had travel scheduled that would have put me very close to the mark, however, they did not look at that or consider that in their answer.

With all of that said, go enjoy lunch in Seattle some day.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Just do a quick PDX-SEA-PDX. Couldnt be easier.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:26 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Fancy a weekend in Bend? How about a trip to Ashland (medford) You have so many options. Go take a day and fly a round trip for 1000 miles. I will be under 10k short of mvpg boo hoo hoo.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
If you fly to Oakland or SFO, you will have more than enough miles. You may also have a relaxing round trip.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
He's going to get 500 each way...unless he's moving to the city, how will he not have a RT for 1,000?

I would just do the PDX SEA shuttle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.