Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Short for Elite Qualification by XXX Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Short for Elite Qualification by XXX Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goldpaws
Thanks everyone - I'm new to this whole thing. I'm based in PDX, and there are lots of options. I'm just trying to maximize for time at home during the holidays. Quick question - does paying for first class increase the EQM you earn on a trip? I've read conflicting information.
It does, but it probably doesn't help you. F or P fares (ie, paid first class) gives you a 75% bonus to EQM.

But, there is a 500 mile minimum per segment. So any round trip will get you at least 1000 EQM, more than the 881 miles that you need. That's why I said that it probably doesn't help you.

So, unless you are looking to do a one-way flight to get status, or a round trip where you fly out in 2018 and fly back in 2019, it doesn't matter. If you DO want just one more 2018 segment, it needs to be at least 504 miles if you pay for a first class fare, or at least 881 miles if you pay for economy (you can also fly an expensive economy fare for a smaller CoS bonus: Y or S for a 50% bonus (usually more expensive than P) or M or B for a 25% bonus (possibly still more expensive than P... maybe not)). You need JUST a little more than the minimum 875 EQM awarded for any one-way first-class fare.

I'm in about the same boat as you by the way. I'm flying SFO-LAX-SFO Dec 30-31 and spending a night in LA to get there; sort of a mini-vacation. I'll also retain my Hyatt Globalist status that night And also eat some tasty Korean BBQ... overall, a good day.

If you want to minimize the time you spend away from home, a same-day turn should be easy to find out of Portland. If you wake up early you can probably be home by lunch.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Dec 8, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For $171 next Saturday, you can fly to SEA and be back at PDX in time for a late breakfast !
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Hmm tasty Korean near the LAX airport?
agree- hop on a plane somewhere ^
rustykettel likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:27 pm

Last weekend I was short 152 miles for my first MVP ever. I had a San Diego trip already booked, this weekend, just in case I was short but I decided to call Alaska customer care and they gave me complimentary MVP status.... this weekend trip to San Diego was with all the MVP perks so maybe its just that I was only 152 miles and not 881, but they seemed pretty easy going about it.

Regardless, I just finished my San Diego trip so even if it wasn't complimentary, I would have gotten it this weekend.

James
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TheotherJames
Last weekend I was short 152 miles for my first MVP ever. I had a San Diego trip already booked, this weekend, just in case I was short but I decided to call Alaska customer care and they gave me complimentary MVP status.... this weekend trip to San Diego was with all the MVP perks so maybe its just that I was only 152 miles and not 881, but they seemed pretty easy going about it.

Regardless, I just finished my San Diego trip so even if it wasn't complimentary, I would have gotten it this weekend.

James
I think it's more that you already had the trip booked and were going to get MVPG anyways. So it's an easy goodwill gesture to keep you happy and loyal to AS. Plus they got more value out of it since you posted here and probably told other people about it as well.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I was 22 miles short and would have got it with an AA flight to Panama after Christmas so Alaska gave me MVP status already. Thanks Alaska!
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Explorer789
I think it's more that you already had the trip booked and were going to get MVPG anyways. So it's an easy goodwill gesture to keep you happy and loyal to AS. Plus they got more value out of it since you posted here and probably told other people about it as well.
Maybe, but I specifically told them I was looking to cancel this weekends trip if I didn't need it for mileage...… however, they could have looked at the 5 flights I had booked for Jan-Feb?

Either way, they made the right decision to keep me as a loyal member.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: AS, QF, SK
Yeah, this one is dead easy. Just pick someplace to have a day trip to. You're in the middle of the crappy weather season in Portland...catch a flight to LAX, get some In 'N Out, spend a couple hours on the beach, and then head back home.
missamo80 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Quintious
You're in the middle of the crappy weather season in Portland
October through May?

Kidding... kind of. I do have my trip to PDX booked for the 4th of July weekend already (beer festival)
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
A lot of good advice already in this thread - as many others have pointed out you can basically take any round trip flight anywhere and you'll earn a minimum of 1,000 miles and you've got a lot of options since you're in PDX.

I'll just point out that since we are in the time of year where winter weather can always add a surprise delay or cancellation, you may want to focus your efforts on a route where AS has a lot of flights. Like PDX to SEA. If you encounter a cancellation or serious delay, there's a lot more options for them to place you on to minimize how long you're stranded.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
400 Miles Short for MVP

I'm 400 miles short of MVP and have't qualified before (I normally fly 200k miles a year on AA and split another 25-30k on DL and AS). I seem to have lost the buy up email but IIRC, it was for $799, which seems too high.

Any idea if this is "close enough?" I presume not but thought I'd check before I decide whether its work a random mileage run this weekend that I'm not particularly excited about.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I'm 400 miles short of MVP and have't qualified before (I normally fly 200k miles a year on AA and split another 25-30k on DL and AS). I seem to have lost the buy up email but IIRC, it was for $799, which seems too high.

Any idea if this is "close enough?" I presume not but thought I'd check before I decide whether its work a random mileage run this weekend that I'm not particularly excited about.
​​​​​​​I doubt it’s “close enough.”

Would you qualify for a status match? I understand you can only use the offer once-in-a-lifetime, but it could get you status for all of 2019.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/de...us-match-offer

Alternatively, a one-way hop can get you your needed miles (500 mile minimum posting), and you can spend miles or cash to return home (or rent a car and drive... or time it so you go in 2018 and return in 2019).

Good luck!
C17PSGR and soartoday like this.

Last edited by twitch76; Dec 26, 2018 at 8:29 pm
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Time to go book a flight

Where are you for the last week of the year?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Couple of folks on Reddit mentioned that Customer Service was able to waive the remaining miles and get them status recently.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by KevPNW
Couple of folks on Reddit mentioned that Customer Service was able to waive the remaining miles and get them status recently.
If possible to fly I would. Good to save favors like those for future needs. And just because it was on reddit...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.