TV / Internet on Airbus (Old VX Metal)

Old Dec 7, 18, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Oneworld Sapphire
TV / Internet on Airbus (Old VX Metal)

I am traveling next week on VA Airbus metal from SFO to PVR in F.

Do they still have Live TV or Satellite Internet on board?

I wanted to stream or watch a live soccer game whilst flying if available, is that possible?
Old Dec 7, 18, 4:12 pm

Live TV: no.
Satellite internet: maybe, but probably not. It looks like they usually use 319s and 320s on that route. None of the 319s do, and some of the 320s but not many have it.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Dec 7, 18, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA, AS Gold 75K, BA, QF, SQ, Marriott Platinum Premiere
Originally Posted by sergent View Post
Live TV: no.
Satellite internet: maybe, but probably not. It looks like they usually use 319s and 320s on that route. None of the 319s do, and some of the 320s but not many have it.
There is viasat on N282VA.

James
Old Dec 7, 18, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
There is viasat on N282VA.

James
Is that plane usually deployed on the SFO - PVR Route?
Old Dec 7, 18, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by navatwal View Post
Not sure, I flew SEA-LAX. It was my first ever AS Airbus flight. Return LAX-SEA was on the same plane 2 days later. I was in F down and Premium back. They were the worst two flights by a longshot I have ever flown under the AS Banner.

James
Old Dec 7, 18, 8:45 pm

Looking at the history for N282VA it lookes like it has been doing transcons out of SFO the last week with the odd West Coast thrown in. SFO<->EWR & SFO<->PHL is scheduled on the 8th & 9th. Currently en route back to SFO from BWI. It did a SFO<->PVR & a SFO<->PSP on the 6th and the morning flight to BWI on the 7th. Last flight to Mexico was to SJD on November 30th.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Dec 7, 18 at 8:50 pm Reason: Adding Flight History for V282VA
Old Dec 7, 18, 9:57 pm

Do you happen to know if you are going to be on an A319 or an A320? You can tell from the seat map. None of the 319s have satellite, and 10/53 A320s do.

In any case, Viasat does not work over Mexico, so you'd only have an hour or less of usable service even if you ended up on one of the planes that have it.

Maybe you get lucky and they swap in an A321 or a 737 with 2Ku at the last minute, but I doubt it.
Old Dec 7, 18, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

COuldnt find out if 319 or 320 but flight 1270 on 11th Dec is what i am flying out on.
Old Dec 7, 18, 11:37 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

COuldnt find out if 319 or 320 but flight 1270 on 11th Dec is what i am flying out on.
It varies, but more likely an A320.
Old Dec 8, 18, 7:52 am

The seat map on the 11th is showing an A319 layout, but it's possible they swap in something bigger.
Old Dec 8, 18, 8:50 am
Moderator, Delta & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sergent View Post

In any case, [url=https://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/flight-experience/inflight-entertainment/wifi]Viasat does not work over Mexico, so you'd only have an hour or less of usable service even if you ended up on one of the planes that have it.
I believe the reference you cited is for the old Gogo air-to-ground coverage, not ViaSat, with regards to coverage over Mexico.
Old Dec 8, 18, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
I believe the reference you cited is for the old Gogo air-to-ground coverage, not ViaSat, with regards to coverage over Mexico.
Did you actually read it? There is a Viasat section at the bottom. Click on it to view it. In the Viasat section, it says (emphasis is mine):
"Fast streaming service is available over the continental US, with basic internet service between the US mainland and Hawaii. No internet is available when flying outside the continental US to Alaska, Mexico, or Costa Rica."
Old Dec 8, 18, 9:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, AS Boardroom, AA ExPlat
Currently on AS 1770, PDX-LAX, an ex-VX A320 (N283VA) equipped with Viasat internet. It's fast, but they also charged me for access despite my multi-airline GoGo pass that's supposed to provide access on AS flights with internet. Frustrated that they couldn't come up with a crossover solution as they have on AA, which accepts Gogo login on Viasat-equipped flights. No go for a promo code from either FA or Viasat chat rep. You'd think AS would have figured this out. Either that or they did, but yet again are out to save a buck whenever possible. Anyway, sent a note to Customer Care. Will see what happens. So sick of this kind of stuff. (Oh...and AS Lounge at PDX was closed this evening due to "water/maintenance" issue; guy next to me is snoring and farting; and my recliner seat got stuck in the full recline position earlier. #FunFunFun )
Old Dec 8, 18, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
Not sure, I flew SEA-LAX. It was my first ever AS Airbus flight. Return LAX-SEA was on the same plane 2 days later. I was in F down and Premium back. They were the worst two flights by a longshot I have ever flown under the AS Banner.

James
Iím curious why it was the worse?
Old Dec 13, 18, 1:24 am

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
I am traveling next week on VA Airbus metal from SFO to PVR in F.

Do they still have Live TV or Satellite Internet on board?

I wanted to stream or watch a live soccer game whilst flying if available, is that possible?
All of the pmVX planes have the hardware for satellite TV, but it was disabled a while ago. As far as internet goes N362VA- N365VA, N281VA-286VA, and N921VA-N925VA all have viasat which should work into Mexico. In addition N926VA-N928VA have Gogo 2ku which is also satellite based and should work in Mexico. If you are flying on a plane that wasnít listed, expect an hour or so of useable WiFi and then radio silence.

Search this Thread