Pet in cabin = no upgrade

Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR, HH, DL, ALK
Pet in cabin = no upgrade

I'm sure there's probably a thread on this somewhere, but have you noticed that having a pet in cabin notation on your reservation means your name never actually gets to the upgrade waitlist (even though you are "upgrade waitlisted")? That means that you get skipped over by literally everyone else whose name actually makes it to the waitlist itself. It's a thing as confirmed this past weekend on a trip. The pet in cabin notation prevented both the outbound and return flights (MR-style to pick up a new kitten) from upgrading. Thankfully, AS employees are excellent as always and went ahead and upgraded me as my place on the waitlist had been skipped over.

Have you experienced this?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
I want to clarify, skipped on the leg to get the animal as well?
I have a flight in mid January to take a dog and will not have the animal on the way back. I will keep my eye on the upgrade list
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
I love cats, so that's awesome, but no, I've never traveled with a pet and have never heard of this glitch. I'd be curious to hear if others have experienced this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
There is only 1 pet allowed in First, and IIRC 5 in the main cabin.

None are allowed in First on the Airbus series (no underseat storage)

This restriction does not apply to service animals.

Not surprised about this restriction.

A few helpful AS links:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...rst-class-care

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ing-with-pets/
Seat 2A and fti like this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:42 pm

I am fine with this. I already do not agree that pets should be on planes but I do understand their is an apparent need. I would like to see more of a registration policy for pets with some sort of medical process resulting in a doctors note for the requirement of a pet. There are just too many people taking advantage of it and in a closed system I don't want to deal with pets.

So, if I was in an upgraded seat and someone was upgraded next to me along with their pet, I'd be miffed.

Yeah, I get it, I am heartless.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
They may have instituted it to prevent upgrades w/ pets in Airbus cabins due to the lack of underseat stowage as noted above. When I travel with my dog, I usually ensure I'm confirmed in first (furst?) to ensure we have a bit more room and so there are less people around to make it more comfortable for all. Glad you were able to get the upgrade without the pet!
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
There is only 1 pet allowed in First, and IIRC 5 in the main cabin.

None are allowed in First on the Airbus series (no underseat storage)

This restriction does not apply to service animals.

Not surprised about this restriction.

A few helpful AS links:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...rst-class-care

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ing-with-pets/
I saw three dogs in the First Class bulk head. All medium size pets and would not fit on the lap even if they tryied. However, that was a SkyWest or Horizon flight from MSP to PDX. There are website which will issue a physician certified certificates in 12 hours. I am conflicted as do understand for the need of emotional support animal. However, if you have a pet allergy and sitting next or near an animal then you the passenger will be bumped and the pet will fly. This was confirmed by a supervisor at Alaska Air.

Last edited by agurg; Dec 7, 2018 at 9:27 am
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by agurg
I saw three dogs in the First Class bulk head. All medium size pets and would not fit on the lap even if they tryied. However, that was a SkyWest or Horizon flight from MSP to PDX. There are website which will issue a physician certified certificates in 12 hours. I am conflicted as do understand for the need of emotional support animal. However, if you have a pet allergy and sitting next or near an animal then you the passenger will be bumped and the pet will fly. This was confirmed by a supervisor at Alaska Air.
Wow....3 medium sized dogs at the bulkhead in first on a E-175? That would have been something to see (particularly if it was 1A). 3 dogs, two people, how many support animals can one bring? I would be interested in what policy was being enforced on that flight as it appears Alaska's policy as stated above makes it clear.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
There are at least three different classifications for animals in the cabin: pets (limited to one carrier per First Class cabin & must be confined to their carrier during flight), emotional support animals (limited to one per person), and service animals. AS has different restrictions and requirements for each category.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seattlite
I'm sure there's probably a thread on this somewhere, but have you noticed that having a pet in cabin notation on your reservation means your name never actually gets to the upgrade waitlist (even though you are "upgrade waitlisted")? That means that you get skipped over by literally everyone else whose name actually makes it to the waitlist itself. It's a thing as confirmed this past weekend on a trip. The pet in cabin notation prevented both the outbound and return flights (MR-style to pick up a new kitten) from upgrading. Thankfully, AS employees are excellent as always and went ahead and upgraded me as my place on the waitlist had been skipped over.

Have you experienced this?
Yes - I flew cats a few times one way when I first started flying AS this year. In both cases it was on the outbound and then I called to get the pet notation removed for the return flight.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
Wow....3 medium sized dogs at the bulkhead in first on a E-175? That would have been something to see (particularly if it was 1A). 3 dogs, two people, how many support animals can one bring? I would be interested in what policy was being enforced on that flight as it appears Alaska's policy as stated above makes it clear.
if true this is complete BS. I would have complaned loudly on the spot. Loose dogs on planes is a safety issue at this volume. .
tod701 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by TheotherJames
I am fine with this. I already do not agree that pets should be on planes but I do understand their is an apparent need. I would like to see more of a registration policy for pets with some sort of medical process resulting in a doctors note for the requirement of a pet. There are just too many people taking advantage of it and in a closed system I don't want to deal with pets.

So, if I was in an upgraded seat and someone was upgraded next to me along with their pet, I'd be miffed.

Yeah, I get it, I am heartless.
No you are not. Some people are allergic. Not only that the dander and hair gets left behind and may affect the allergic for weeks on that plane.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
From May this year. My seat neighbor had a couple of large dogs with her. A warm wet nose on my elbow. Good thing I like dogs.

At least the dogs were sweet and well behaved.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:30 pm

I usually find that I am more annoyed at the human than the dogs....I like dogs and cats and if they are next to me, I'm playin with them...… however, they should be in the hold, not in the cabin. They literally name a bus GreyHOUND so go that route.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
I should have been more clear, 3 people with 3 dogs. Two of them seemed to be a couple.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.