Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pet in cabin = no upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by agurg
I should have been more clear, 3 people with 3 dogs. Two of them seemed to be a couple.
Two of the dogs?
DrAlex likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Two of the dogs?
She was quite a b*tch!
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by TheotherJames
I usually find that I am more annoyed at the human than the dogs....I like dogs and cats and if they are next to me, I'm playin with them...… however, they should be in the hold, not in the cabin. They literally name a bus GreyHOUND so go that route.
First off: the airline is named for a state where you literally cannot drive a bus to the capital city, because there isn’t a road there connecting it to the rest of the USA.

Second: service animals are actually a thing. You going to fly a blind person in the hold with their service animal?

Third, if you’re not happy with common carriers I’m sure you can charter a jet that meets your qualifications. Otherwise you can fly your bus with wings, because that’s what it is. It’s not your plane. Their plane, their rules.
NoLaGent and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR, HH, DL, ALK
Originally Posted by Idaho Territory
I want to clarify, skipped on the leg to get the animal as well?
I have a flight in mid January to take a dog and will not have the animal on the way back. I will keep my eye on the upgrade list
Yes skipped on both legs, but it was an "MR style" same day RT flight to pick up a new kitten from a breeder. Not sure if having legs on different days would have helped the first leg where there was to be no pet. In any case, it seems like the notation probably screws up the entire itinerary for upgrades. Not all AS folks understand what's going on with this, so you'll need to explain it.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheotherJames
I am fine with this. I already do not agree that pets should be on planes but I do understand their is an apparent need. I would like to see more of a registration policy for pets with some sort of medical process resulting in a doctors note for the requirement of a pet. There are just too many people taking advantage of it and in a closed system I don't want to deal with pets.

So, if I was in an upgraded seat and someone was upgraded next to me along with their pet, I'd be miffed.

Yeah, I get it, I am heartless.
Nothing to 'take advantage' of for an owner picking up a new pet from several states away. This occurs literally all the time for folks purchasing pure bred dogs and cats. What does it matter which cabin the pet flies in so long as there is appropriate under seat room for the carrier? Should all of us drive cross country instead?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
There is only 1 pet allowed in First, and IIRC 5 in the main cabin.

None are allowed in First on the Airbus series (no underseat storage)

This restriction does not apply to service animals.

Not surprised about this restriction.

A few helpful AS links:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...rst-class-care

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ing-with-pets/
Not surprised there's an undocumented, automated upgrade restriction given the state of the IT system at Alaska? This is obviously unintended, or would otherwise be clearly documented. There were no conflicts with other pets in the plane, it was not an Airbus aircraft without under seat storage, etc.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Seattlite
Should all of us drive cross country instead?
Not to be rude, only mostly cheeky, but save yourself time/money/etc and find a pet in need of adoption close to your home. :micdrop:
LWkitty likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I love dogs and cats but not necessarily your dog and cats. Except in very limited circumstances animals belong in cargo. I had the joy of flying on QX near an emotional support parrot. It was huge and not very nice, never again!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
I love dogs and cats but not necessarily your dog and cats. Except in very limited circumstances animals belong in cargo. I had the joy of flying on QX near an emotional support parrot. It was huge and not very nice, never again!
Shouldn’t have to worry about that now that AS has restricted emotional support animals to dogs or cats. They do accept miniature horses as service animals though, in addition to cats or dogs.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, SPG/Marriott Gold
I've had issues with upgrades with an in-cabin pet (paid for) on my itinerary, despite being shown as waitlisted. It's frustrating and no one seemed to know what was going on -- I looked to be on the waitlist, but I wasn't showing on the day of departure list. They should be able to handle this case a little better, but I guess it's not a priority for IT.
Seattlite likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrAlex
Not to be rude, only mostly cheeky, but save yourself time/money/etc and find a pet in need of adoption close to your home. :micdrop:
This thread has nothing to do with your personal preference for which pets to purchase or adopt. It has everything to do with a quirk of the AS IT system. Again, thanks Alaska for great customer service on the phone.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
I can't imagine a 14 week old, 5lb kitten in cargo. That would be a terrifying experience for the animal. In any case, this thread isn't about personal preferences.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Seattlite
Nothing to 'take advantage' of for an owner picking up a new pet from several states away. This occurs literally all the time for folks purchasing pure bred dogs and cats. What does it matter which cabin the pet flies in so long as there is appropriate under seat room for the carrier? Should all of us drive cross country instead?
Yes, pretty much how I feel. I say this as I had recently driven with a friend who was delivering a Malinois to a PTSD Soldier in California. No reason to be on the plane and subject everyone to an animal in a closed environment at 30K feet. Just Drive.

But don't worry, I will do what everyone else does and say "Oh, so cute" instead of what they are actually thinking.

Again, I am a monster
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
Originally Posted by Idaho Territory
I want to clarify, skipped on the leg to get the animal as well?
I have a flight in mid January to take a dog and will not have the animal on the way back. I will keep my eye on the upgrade list
The flight has arrived and I was not on the upgrade list. The dog was in the cargo hold for the flight out. The return flight was without animal. If you travel with a pet in the hold or in the cabin, prepare to be skipped.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG
AS still says that pets are not allowed in Airbus F cabins. Does this still apply to retrofitted cabins?

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ling-with-pets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.