$100 comp for 9 hour delay - epic fail

Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I agree that what you got (and, even more so, what the OP got) is insufficient. The inconsistency seems strange.
I don't think AS has a set standard on compensation.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Considering AA gave me $24 for a 11 delay, I think $100 is pretty good.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
It probably cost them more than $24 to issue this comp - really doesn't make sense but then we are talking airlines...
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
In March my family received $400 x 4 for voluntarily being bumped from LIH—PDX redeye and taking a direct daytime flight 12 hours later. Just as another point to compare with. They can and do give out more.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Frustrating, but I think you are experiencing par.
I appreciate OP's post, as well as yours. If this is par for the course for Alaska, then they aren't ready for the big leagues that they tried to buy themselves into.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by Gig103
I appreciate OP's post, as well as yours. If this is par for the course for Alaska, then they aren't ready for the big leagues that they tried to buy themselves into.
I think that's right. UA has big issues but they do a good job with GS. Alaska doesn't seem to pay much attention to the hvf.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
I think that's right. UA has big issues but they do a good job with GS. Alaska doesn't seem to pay much attention to the hvf.
UA also does a good job (as a rule) with customer service comp.

What's interesting about AS is that they're clearly trying to emulate the big 3, but doing so in an extremely negative fashion i.e. devaluing MP, ridiculous pricing from Saver to Main regardless of flight length, AL pass policies, shoddy IT/Upgrade Processing, etc. For years they coasted along on the goodwill of their fantastic customer service and empowered employees, but that seems to have diminished quite a bit and consequently, we're now seeing compensation levels start to rise.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Should also point out that AS’ typical compensation is a restricted discount code that unless the fine print has changed recently a) doesn’t have any residual value, b) can’t be used for First Class (even for problems on paid First tickets), c) can’t be combined with other service recovery discount codes or any other discount codes such as the companion fare, & d) must be used by the named recipient.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Should also point out that AS’ typical compensation is a restricted discount code that unless the fine print has changed recently a) doesn’t have any residual value, b) can’t be used for First Class (even for problems on paid First tickets), c) can’t be combined with other service recovery discount codes or any other discount codes such as the companion fare, & d) must be used by the named recipient.
The certificate I was given did work with Companion Fare and residual value stayed in my wallet.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by williwaw
The certificate I was given did work with Companion Fare and residual value stayed in my wallet.
Yes, the VDB certs are different from the service recovery discount codes. I don’t know why service recovery isn’t handled by those type of certificates. Actually, I can imagine why they aren’t.
williwaw likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
In summary, compensation is consistently inconsistent. ^
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:02 am

Didn't realize that! Thanks.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
UA just gave me $250 (+ hotel voucher) for an overnight stay in STL. I'm not even sure they had to do that, inbound flight diverted to IND due to a Tornado Warning and the crew ran out of hours.

$100 is lame, AS gave that to my son and I for <3 hours delay SJC-JFK due to WX/ATC.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
A six hour delay with B6 on a paid Mint ticket got me $250 in vouchers ($150 for the delay, $100 being a Mint passenger). This compensation is on the lower side.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
A six hour delay with B6 on a paid Mint ticket got me $250 in vouchers ($150 for the delay, $100 being a Mint passenger). This compensation is on the lower side.
Part of the problem is not even the compensation but the 9 hour delay due to lack of maintenance crew or alternative aircraft, and then lack of planning when they diverted to LAX.

But yeah to post comparisons, AA once delayed a flight from 8pm to 10pm to 'crew timeout, come back at 6am'. They refused to give me a hotel since PHX was my home airport, but the phone team gave us $300 each in vouchers (for what was an < $300 flight to begin with).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.