Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite (EQM) Buy-Up Offers for 2019

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
It should be expensive. And it would be even more expensive if I were king.
Yeah but considering that the OP got offered 1000 miles for $275... $500 to buy up the last 200 miles or whatever is just mean.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Finkface
I only wish AS would add a minimum AS segment requirement as well.
If people are hitting 75K mostly on partner J fares, they're not going to be ahead of you on the upgrade waitlist very often, so why do you care?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Lest we forget, without decent accountants, but for dumb luck, the business ends up insolvent.

I call these buy ups smart business.
I don't know how good their accountants are, starting with Mr. Tilden. Time will tell, right? I'm not sure how much monetizing elite tier jump will help either. I'm sure there are some for whom the offer seems like a good deal. But we've spent a lot of time on many recent threads recounting the diminution of benefits at all elite tiers. I just hope those who are burning a ton of miles or paying hard cash to buy up are clear that benefits that once seemed assured (eg GGU usage, comp upgrades clearing at/near windows, halfway decent grub in F) may or may not be available moving forward.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish
If people are hitting 75K mostly on partner J fares, they're not going to be ahead of you on the upgrade waitlist very often, so why do you care?
Right, 90% of my qualification miles are from partner int'l flights. Not sure how the Airline industry works, but I've never understood the following: (1) why AS would care or reward my flights with partners (not as if they're getting the revenue, so why award the miles?); (2) for whatever reason, when I manually credit AA int'l portion to AS, AA CSRs always make an effort to suggest I can earn tons of EQD on AA (again, not sure why they care, since I've already paid them money for the fare).
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by thepinenuts
Hate the bean counters, as elites we've basically lost upgrades at 72 and 48 hours. Now have to wait until a couple of of hours out.
Admittedly, I've not been here for awhile, but when do you mean by this? Did AS stop upgrading MVP/Golds at 48/72 hrs? Or, is this a function of no U space and a gazillion 75ks, or both?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Visconti
I've never understood the following: (1) why AS would care or reward my flights with partners (not as if they're getting the revenue, so why award the miles?)
Airlines compensate each other for the miles one partner's FFP members earn on the other, just as they compensate each other for award redemptions.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I don't understand. I really don't. It makes no sense for you to care whether I get my last 1000 EQM by flying SFO-LAX round trip for $110 or by paying AS $250. You aren't getting any benefit out of either transaction, and the latter way is certainly better for AS.
I care because when airlines sell status, it allows people who would not earn it by flying to take the easy way out and buy it. Which in turn means more elites. Which in turn means a dilution of benefits for me, be it fewer upgrades, more GGU’s out there, fewer available U seats etc as more people are vying for them.

Flying, especially if you must fly on the airline in question, takes effort and commitment. There are lots of people who don’t fly an airline or use a hotel chain often but will buy status, or get a credit card that confers status, anywhere they can just to reap the benefits.

As I said, the thing many of us like about AS is that they don’t (usually) sell status; you have to earn it and that’s the way I like it. And also as I said, it is just my opinion so you can disagree if you like but don’t minimize the impact it has on those of us who earn status the hard way. I fear this is the beginning of a slippery slope - selling status as other airlines do.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Finkface
I fear this is the beginning of a slippery slope - selling status as other airlines do.
They already do - it's usually called paid F. On AS it even includes club access, which other airlines don't offer for regular F, just the premium routes that cost big $.

AS pricing for paid F is often out of whack with respect to OAL, so it leaves those seats empty and available for upgrades, but they could price it more competitively and both monetize the seats and swell the ranks of "elites" more rapidly due to the COS multiplier.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by drflossy
208 miles short of MVP and was offered MVP status for 2019 for $500 or 50,000 miles.

Luckily I have one more flight before the end of the year, but was surprised to see how expensive it was for 208 miles compared to what others have been offered.
DrFlossy WELCOME TO FLYERTALK!
surprised also at the amounts listed. Pretty pricey for 208 miles. Do you already have MVP status or is this your first year coming up?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by pdxasflyer
Admittedly, I've not been here for awhile, but when do you mean by this? Did AS stop upgrading MVP/Golds at 48/72 hrs? Or, is this a function of no U space and a gazillion 75ks, or both?
AS has been really clamping down on U space. Usually, upgrades are processed around T-2. Many report upgrades greatly decreased over the last year. Not a gazillion 75s.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisl137
They already do - it's usually called paid F. On AS it even includes club access, which other airlines don't offer for regular F, just the premium routes that cost big $.

AS pricing for paid F is often out of whack with respect to OAL, so it leaves those seats empty and available for upgrades, but they could price it more competitively and both monetize the seats and swell the ranks of "elites" more rapidly due to the COS multiplier.
This is the funniest thing I've ever read.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is the funniest thing I've ever read.
You maybe need to get out more.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm out now but no one here is funny.

The idea that airlines shouldn't sell F so that all the seats can be available for elites is beyond ridiculous though.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:26 am

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by beckoa
Sad AS.
and getting desperate to squeezing a few quick bucks out of their loyal customers.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I'm out now but no one here is funny.
The idea that airlines shouldn't sell F so that all the seats can be available for elites is beyond ridiculous though.
I read some recent article where someone stated that AS said that they aim to hold back 50% of F seats for elite upgrades?? It wasn't quoted so I am not sure where that came from. It certainly is not consistent with current U inventory behavior.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.