Elite (EQM) Buy-Up Offers for 2019

Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Is the offer targeted to those that are short of "re-qualifying" for their current tier? I don't believe it is targeted to those that have never held the status before, like yourself.

James
Yes. And they are making the offers in time for those who were considering trips to keep their status from needing to make the trips, at a cost (often) higher than making the trips. This makes it pure profit to AS, while not materially increasing the elite ranks. It also eliminates any "need" for waivers/favors for those "oh so close" and creates a consistent environment. No necessity for tantrums for the 'I've been MVPG for 15 years and am only 500 miles short and they won't help" scenario.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: AS
I agree with F for F. We have been MVP since 2012. First time receiving any such offer to retain status directly from AS. I have had AS employees who know me offer to bump ,if needed. I had to deal with cancer DX and TX and unable to travel for months. Was able to retain status without assistance but greatly appreciated the offers and concern.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mczlaw
More like pathetic. I'll make 75K flying on 12/26 (ironically, going to Vegas), so won't need to take advantage of this generous offer. I'm not sure I would if I needed to. Just not seeing the benefits in it for me. It's tough when your favorite airline gets taken over by accountants. Hell, they have even reduced the size of the nut dishes in F. Probably saving a good 2 cents per serving.
Lest we forget, without decent accountants, but for dumb luck, the business ends up insolvent.

I call these buy ups smart business.
NoLaGent and jinglish like this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Is the offer targeted to those that are short of "re-qualifying" for their current tier? I don't believe it is targeted to those that have never held the status before, like yourself.

James
I was gold before... on VX. That should count. When you take over an airline, the previous customer relationship / history is not reset to 0.

Which reminds me, my VX flights never added to my AS million miler balance. I thought that they were supposed to? Not that I will ever get to a million miles either way, but I'd still like to see the bigger number there.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by beckoa
Sad AS.
Agreed.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Finkface
Agreed.
Why is this sad? Doesn't every airline do this? UA offers to sell you qualifying miles when you check in for a flight (at least I assume they still do; I haven't flown with them for months)
jinglish likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I was gold before... on VX. That should count. When you take over an airline, the previous customer relationship / history is not reset to 0.

Which reminds me, my VX flights never added to my AS million miler balance. I thought that they were supposed to? Not that I will ever get to a million miles either way, but I'd still like to see the bigger number there.
Legacy AS here and as I mentioned above, nothing sent to either me or my wife.

For lifetime mileage, it was announced as VX mileage only from the close of the acquisition (from Dec 2016) to end of the program. I don’t remember any further news. If you don’t think it was added, I’d ping [email protected] for a status.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Yup - I requalified for 75K a couple of weeks ago. For me, 1000 EQMs $300, and 10000 for $1650.

same offer for me to requal for 75k.

I'm 5050 eqms off. Doing an MR to RDU as we speak and I have a SEA-LAX flight on xmas eve. No need to to buy offer.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I got one last year and used it without reading the fine print. I paid about the same as a MR that would have gotten me to 75K but figured it was more convenient. Didn't read that I wouldn't get the 50K bonus and other rewards. Seemed a little cheap to me as the were making more money this way as they didn't have me wasting a seat. Basically free money for AS. I will make status on my next flight so I am good this year. Don't be like me kids, read the fine print if you are going to do this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: AS 100K, HA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Hate the bean counters, as elites we've basically lost upgrades at 72 and 48 hours. Now have to wait until a couple of of hours out. GGU upgrades are worthless. Pretty much no "U" available, so planning vacations in advance is impossible. Has now created "Basic Economy" which is right around the old saver fares, but now, no chance up upgrade, no exit row etc. But we can give them $$$ which is pretty much pure profit to maintain our diluted elite status. The old Alaska that did truly value loyalty and rewarded it, is gone. I guess they're hoping know one notices.

Last edited by thepinenuts; Nov 30, 2018 at 11:57 am Reason: spelling
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Why is this sad? Doesn't every airline do this? UA offers to sell you qualifying miles when you check in for a flight (at least I assume they still do; I haven't flown with them for months)
Just because everyone else does it does not make it the right thing to do. One of the things I like most about AS MP is that you (generally) can’t buy status or earn it in any way other than putting your butt in a seat. If status is meant to reward loyalty, it becomes meaningless and dilutes the benefits for those who legitimately earn it when one can buy it or get it by spending money on a credit card. I only wish AS would add a minimum AS segment requirement as well.

Short on miles to earn status? Fly to earn them. Just MHO.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Finkface
Just because everyone else does it does not make it the right thing to do. One of the things I like most about AS MP is that you (generally) can’t buy status or earn it in any way other than putting your butt in a seat. If status is meant to reward loyalty, it becomes meaningless and dilutes the benefits for those who legitimately earn it when one can buy it or get it by spending money on a credit card. I only wish AS would add a minimum AS segment requirement as well.

Short on miles to earn status? Fly to earn them. Just MHO.
I don't understand. I really don't. It makes no sense for you to care whether I get my last 1000 EQM by flying SFO-LAX round trip for $110 or by paying AS $250. You aren't getting any benefit out of either transaction, and the latter way is certainly better for AS.
jinglish and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:13 pm

208 miles short of MVP and was offered MVP status for 2019 for $500 or 50,000 miles.

Luckily I have one more flight before the end of the year, but was surprised to see how expensive it was for 208 miles compared to what others have been offered.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow! That is expensive.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:07 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Wow! That is expensive.
It should be expensive. And it would be even more expensive if I were king.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.