Elite (EQM) Buy-Up Offers for 2019

Old Dec 1, 18, 10:53 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by pdxasflyer View Post
Admittedly, I've not been here for awhile, but when do you mean by this? Did AS stop upgrading MVP/Golds at 48/72 hrs? Or, is this a function of no U space and a gazillion 75ks, or both?
My experience has been different. Upgraded immediately on the majority of my flights this year. A handful of upgrades came later. I did paid FC a few times when my schedule changed and it seemed likely U wouldn't happen.
Old Dec 1, 18, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by BW Flyer View Post

and getting desperate to squeezing a few quick bucks out of their loyal customers.
No one has to bite. I know that many of us will end up agreeing to disagree on this topic, but they're offering an option to "their loyal customers" who might otherwise make a year-end mileage run. It isn't as if they're offering a complete status buy. Perhaps one could argue that allowing 10K EQM purchase is too much, but as a practical matter, most of us can do that in a 3 segment F trip. AS gets the dough. I don't have to suffer an OAK/SEA/HNL/OAK trip , AS doesn't even give me the 50K bonus. But martyr that I am, not wanting to be victimized by this "squeeze" I never knew might arrive, I suffered through an SFO (moved to OAK) DAL SFO trip in P for $630-ish, spent about 20-ish hours in Dallas, and then suffered through another SFO/LAX/SFO for $102, both segments upgraded. I even got to use a lounge pass @ LAX to partake in the Vegas-style gormay buffay along with a couple of complimentary beverages.

I would not be surprised if AS MP receives thousands of "I'm so close, can you extend my status" requests for favors in the course a couple months that having a consistent point of referral makes a lot of sense. No "Nos" required. A polite referral to the offer is all that is necessary. Customer doesn't want to bite? That's on the customer.
Old Dec 1, 18, 2:29 pm

Programs: AS-MVPG75K / HHonors-Diamond / Hyatt - Exploroist
Yea, as someone who has already requalified for 75K, it would be easy for me to whine about this.
And of course, if I was on the other side of the fence and falling a bit short, I'd love this option. Gotta love FT logic

Seriously guys. It's maxed out at 10K, so is this really a dilution to "real" elites. Anybody who is that close is practically there anyhow. And it seems the price is slightly higher as the level you'd be buying into is a higher level. I also agree with those saying this is an easy way for AS to respond to the "I'm so close ... please pretty please" crowd.
Compare this to Hilton Honors where anyone (that qualifies for the credit card) can pay Amex an annual fee of $450 and get Diamond (top level) status. Now that's what I call a dilution of status.
BW Flyer and jinglish like this.
Old Dec 1, 18, 2:52 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AS MVP
If you are referring to AmEx Plat Card......the annual fee is $550 and it bestows GOLD Hilton Honors status.
Although there is an Hilton Aspire Card with AF of 450 with Diamond status. This may be what you are thinking of.
Old Dec 1, 18, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pcoll View Post
If you are referring to AmEx Plat Card......the annual fee is $550 and it bestows GOLD Hilton Honors status.
Although there is an Hilton Aspire Card with AF of 450 with Diamond status. This may be what you are thinking of.
Why yes, I do think he's referring to the Hilton with the benefit and fee you both described and not the Platinum that he never alluded to.
steve64 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 18, 3:35 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by ssk244 View Post
I just got this as well. I am hours away from going on my last trip that'll get me to Gold. I got a ridiculous fare to JFK (for less than $250 I believe) and they want me to buy Gold Status for $1,099.
Ridiculously cheap or expensive? It's neither; it was the equivalent price of a standard r/t transcon R fare with advance purchase requirement and availablity before saver fares rolled out.
Old Dec 4, 18, 11:08 am

Programs: Mileage Plan
I did not get the buy up offer, and I really wanted it.

I'm 3000 miles short for MVP Gold this year and have no books flights. As I would rather not buy a last minute ticket, nor fly during the holidays, I would have taken advantage of this. Now I'm wondering what I am going to do.
Old Dec 4, 18, 11:12 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Peon
Originally Posted by Lindsiria0 View Post
I did not get the buy up offer, and I really wanted it.

I'm 3000 miles short for MVP Gold this year and have no books flights. As I would rather not buy a last minute ticket, nor fly during the holidays, I would have taken advantage of this. Now I'm wondering what I am going to do.
Call to request?
be_rettSEA and Lindsiria0 like this.
Old Dec 4, 18, 12:48 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I wonder if they only targeted people who had cheap airfare booked in December? Maybe they're targeting people that look like they're doing mileage runs? At least a few people here that got the offer (myself included) mentioned that we had plenty of airfare already on the books to hit the target.

In my case, my mileage run to Boston is costing me about $0.04 per mile which is a much better deal than what they're offering online. Of course, it would eliminate the need to make the run, but I'm looking forward to visiting with friends in Boston for a few hours anyway.
Old Dec 4, 18, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA, AS Gold 75K, BA, QF, SQ, Marriott Platinum Premiere
Originally Posted by nearlysober View Post
I wonder if they only targeted people who had cheap airfare booked in December? Maybe they're targeting people that look like they're doing mileage runs? At least a few people here that got the offer (myself included) mentioned that we had plenty of airfare already on the books to hit the target.

In my case, my mileage run to Boston is costing me about $0.04 per mile which is a much better deal than what they're offering online. Of course, it would eliminate the need to make the run, but I'm looking forward to visiting with friends in Boston for a few hours anyway.
I believe it was targeted to Members who were within 10K of "requalifying" for their current status, not for those who have never attained it. I wasn't targeted but I am already 75K with AS & Partner flights. My partner wasn't targeted either as a 75K who hadn't reached MVP (but within 10K) before last weekend and will be MVPG after a trip to Hawaii next week.

James
Old Dec 5, 18, 9:27 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AS MVPG, DL SkyClub (Life), Hertz 5*, HH Gold, AS Lounge -- AA, DL, UA, HA
Originally Posted by nearlysober View Post

I doubt it targets only those w/ cheap Dec. fares (though I have one such booked). I got the offer when short only ~3k for MVPG, but had 10.6k booked (3 trips, no runs). My wife was short about ~10.3k for MVPG, but got no offer. She has 10.5 k booked (including a P fare "kicker" giving 1250 EQM) and will be fine.
Old Dec 5, 18, 4:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold

AS has been really clamping down on U space. Usually, upgrades are processed around T-2. Many report upgrades greatly decreased over the last year. Not a gazillion 75s.
Actually I am seeing U space loosen up a bit. I just found U space on a 9am flight JFK-SEA a few months out, price was reasonable as well!
Old Dec 6, 18, 5:48 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SWA CP, SWA A list, Hyatt Platinum, Hhilton Gold, Makai Club
Anyone bought these elite qualifying miles? Do they come from points.com? If you use you AS credit card do you get extra miles? How are they coded to the cc co?

thanks for any & all help

Thumbelina
Old Dec 8, 18, 1:19 pm

DrFlossy WELCOME TO FLYERTALK!
surprised also at the amounts listed. Pretty pricey for 208 miles. Do you already have MVP status or is this your first year coming up?
Thanks! It would be my first year coming up. Not a big deal since I'll qualify with one last flight for the year. I actually called to see if they would honor my upcoming flight and bump me up to MVP early, but they said they could not. I was also told that any flights that I have while the system updates my status may not be eligible for MVP status perks as well.
Old Dec 10, 18, 8:57 am

Programs: Alaska GMVP, AA MM, Bonvoy Gold
I am in the same boat as thumbelina and am curious on the answers. I am getting dangerously close to MM and am thinking about buying 10,000 miles with the offer I received. (I am 3,000ish miles short but will be flying before the end of the year to qualify.) Does anyone have experience that the miles get you EQM AND are added to lifetime miles? Thanks!!

EDIT: I did call Customer Care and they indicated that the miles only count for 2018 EQM and not for Lifetime EQM.

Last edited by Klrduks; Dec 10, 18 at 11:36 am

Search this Thread