FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Elite Recognition and Free Chocolate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1942893-elite-recognition-free-chocolate.html)

manymanymiles Nov 28, 2018 4:33 pm

Elite Recognition and Free Chocolate

I was sitting in the exit row this week from SNA to SEA and no free chocolate or 'thanks for being Gold' !

What are your experiences and how often do you get the free chocolate?

JacksonFlyer Nov 28, 2018 4:39 pm

I usually go for the free drink! However I would say more than not I am recognized as a Gold though there are a few times where the FAs are busy that they may not look at their portable pads and see that you are a gold. When that happens, I politely say that I am a Gold when they ask for payment and they usually say "oh sorry". Doesn't bother me too much.

Red L Nov 28, 2018 4:40 pm

If the FA doesn't offer it, I always ask. Unless the chocolate wasn't loaded (which, IME is rare), I always get it.

rune87 Nov 28, 2018 4:44 pm

I was on SNA to SEA last night on a Horizon flight and the FA walked down with a bag before landing handing them out and thanking everyone.

missamo80 Nov 28, 2018 4:46 pm

I just proactively ask. Problem solved.

PaperGlider Nov 28, 2018 6:15 pm

Yesterday, was just offered chocolate OR a free drink.

Single_Flyer Nov 28, 2018 8:36 pm

HNL-SEA on Sunday -- chocolate wasn't loaded :(

chipmaster Nov 28, 2018 10:13 pm

I think for my weekly AS the recognition rate has been about 90% or better, I never worry to much if they miss me, AS so beats the big three it ain't even funny

Waitlisted Nov 28, 2018 10:33 pm

Today was in Premium on a VX Airbus and the FA gave a chocolate to the gold next to me and didn’t offer me one. I told herI was a gold for 15+ years and she said “I don’t show you as a gold”. I never got one. Hmm, my boarding pass shows gold, and I have made gold already for 2019. Yet another not impressive VX crew.

beckoa Nov 29, 2018 7:50 am

Got one FAI-ANC in F this week :cool: this was after two snack basket passes ^

notquiteaff Nov 29, 2018 9:56 am

I literally never get my chocolate.

It gets passed on straight to my wife.

i do find that they are pretty reliable about checking for elite status at least when I am sitting in the exit row or PC section.

Flying for Fun Nov 29, 2018 10:05 am

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 30479458)
Got one FAI-ANC in F this week :cool: this was after two snack basket passes ^

I can only remember getting the chocolate bar three or four times over the last year with well over 50 AS flights. Only once on the many Q400 flights SEA<->YLW. Never in First. Recognition well over 90%. I was recognized this morning in F PHX-SEA. Now in the C Lounge waiting for my SEA-ANC F flight.

James

James

missamo80 Nov 29, 2018 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 30479926)
Never in First.

As far as I'm aware that's the way it should work. The chocolate is meant to be in lieu of your free alcoholic beverage when you are sitting in coach.

Neil

zs58 Nov 29, 2018 10:15 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 30479895)
I literally never get my chocolate.

It gets passed on straight to my wife.

Hah! I do end up saving mine about 70% of the time for the fiance.

As far as how often I get it proactively asking or no, I'd say it's 50/50 if I have to ask or if it's offered to me first. Highly variable.

Eujeanie Nov 29, 2018 10:33 am

Was on a VX plane recently and the FA right before take-off came around and gave Golds and up the chocolates. We ate it right away. Then comes the drink service and we asked for our cocktails and she said "you took the chocolate". I said you didn't give us a choice! We thought it was an extra freebie. No, she said.