Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite Recognition and Free Chocolate

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVP
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Was on a VX plane recently and the FA right before take-off came around and gave Golds and up the chocolates. We ate it right away. Then comes the drink service and we asked for our cocktails and she said "you took the chocolate". I said you didn't give us a choice! We thought it was an extra freebie. No, she said.
It is either/or, but they're supposed to give you the choice during drink service, not give the chocolate out ahead of time. Sounds like another case of pmVX staff not understanding and/or knowing the actual AS policy.
notquiteaff and bmvaughn like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by pbelmore
It is either/or, but they're supposed to give you the choice during drink service, not give the chocolate out ahead of time. Sounds like another case of pmVX staff not understanding and/or knowing the actual AS policy.
Yes, I agree and know it is either/or, and that does usually happen at drink service, but before take-off if someone just hands you the chocolate would you have the quickness of mind to ask about the cocktail at that time? Someone hands me something, I take it!

Our next VX flight was just as weird. We were upgraded to F, (ridiculously big seats, did like the footrests) and my husband asks if there was snack service (this was a very short flight) - FA says oh no, this is a LUNCH flight, but I'm not sure what it is. After the pass of the snack basket we're starting to land...how can an FA work a flight and have no idea what the service is?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by missamo80
As far as I'm aware that's the way it should work. The chocolate is meant to be in lieu of your free alcoholic beverage when you are sitting in coach.

Neil
That is my understanding too. I mentioned that because @beckoa mentioned receiving one in F.

James
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:30 pm
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
I get them about 90% of the time. My last red eye from OGG-SEA I slept through the drink service and when I woke up there was a chocolate bar in the seatback pocket. ^
rustykettel likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by T2A
I get them about 90% of the time. My last red eye from OGG-SEA I slept through the drink service and when I woke up there was a chocolate bar in the seatback pocket. ^
Hopefully it wasn’t there before you went to sleep.
T2A likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
That is my understanding too. I mentioned that because @beckoa mentioned receiving one in F.

James
Mysterious things do occur
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I am not sure why they consider the little chocolate square to be the equivalent of an $8 drink... I don't like that chocolate in particular anyway. On my AS flights they have been very good at recognizing me and offering me goodies. AS does a great job of that I think.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For me the chocolate or drink or even the thank you for being X status is just an added bonus. If I don't get it I really don't care. Status to me is the upgrades, free baggage, better seats with legroom and fee waivers. As long as I'm getting those I am happy.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I am not sure why they consider the little chocolate square to be the equivalent of an $8 drink... I don't like that chocolate in particular anyway. On my AS flights they have been very good at recognizing me and offering me goodies. AS does a great job of that I think.
Maybe they cost AS a similar amount of $?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by beckoa
Maybe they cost AS a similar amount of $?
Substantially similar. The chocolate may be a bit less in the volume ordered, but the markup on the booze is in the 1000% department.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:59 pm

FA handed out the chocolate bar first while taking drinks order on a recent flight. I mentioned I was going to have drink instead but FA said it was Christmastime so both. Ordered a double and FA offered the can as well.

I noticed that the chocolate bar is now officially mentioned in the main cabin seat seatback card.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
Even though the rules say drink or chocolate, Flight attendants oftentimes give me both (I typically ask for alcohol, so they just also hand me chocolate without me asking). I don't expect or ask for the chocolate, but it is always nice to get it. Last week I was able to get on an earlier DEN to SEA flight at the last minute and was put in the back of the plane. When the FAs came through with the drink cart, I ordered a Crater Lake Express Hazelnut Vodka and when she asked for payment, I handed her my MVP Gold card (I always carry it, you never know...), and I smiled and mentioned it was complimentary, and then she apologized and looked down at her tablet and said, "what are you doing way back here?", and then she gave me a chocolate and thanked me for being gold etc. She was super nice.

What is weird, though, is when I am in premium class, they oftentimes give out the chocolates to the golds as a matter of course. Sometimes I am confused if the rules are different for Golds and 75k in premium or what.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MJMLBBtoCPH

What is weird, though, is when I am in premium class, they oftentimes give out the chocolates to the golds as a matter of course. Sometimes I am confused if the rules are different for Golds and 75k in premium or what.
I think the inconsistency in experiences means that the flight attendants might be confused about that too
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm soon-to-be gold and love both alcohol and chocolate so... what are the rules, exactly? Obviously you may always get more, but what are you actually supposed to get?

Gold in Y gets choice of chocolate or one drink?
Gold in Y+ already gets free drinks from Y+... also chocolate?
Gold in F gets regular F service but no chocolate?

And, are the rules the same for Gold and 75k?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm soon-to-be gold and love both alcohol and chocolate so... what are the rules, exactly? Obviously you may always get more, but what are you actually supposed to get?

Gold in Y gets choice of chocolate or one drink?
Gold in Y+ already gets free drinks from Y+... also chocolate?
Gold in F gets regular F service but no chocolate?

And, are the rules the same for Gold and 75k?
Yes to above, but it’s still apparently drink or chocolate as policy, possible not both in PC. Also, no chocolate if no full drink service (particularly limited service QX routes including Seattle Shuttle).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.