Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

I have an expiring $200 travel credit in "My Wallet" - any way to spend w/o flying?

I have an expiring $200 travel credit in "My Wallet" - any way to spend w/o flying?

Old Nov 28, 18, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold

I have a travel credit of $200, expiring next month

Other than booking a ticket somewhere, is there a way to use this money?

Any ideas appreciated.

Is it transferable?
Old Nov 28, 18, 4:16 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I'm not aware of any method to transfer it.

Are you Gold with AS? If so, you could book any random flight a few months out and then cancel that flight at a later point to put the funds back in your wallet.
Old Nov 28, 18, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA, AS Gold 75K, BA, QF, SQ, Marriott Platinum Premiere
Originally Posted by nearlysober View Post
I'm not aware of any method to transfer it.

Are you Gold with AS? If so, you could book any random flight a few months out and then cancel that flight at a later point to put the funds back in your wallet.
Without status just buy a fully refundable ticket (Full Y) and cancel without penalty later.

James
Old Nov 28, 18, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
Without status just buy a fully refundable ticket (Full Y) and cancel without penalty later.

James
if i do that, do they re-deposit the credit to the wallet, or, are the miles forfeited as they need to be used by end of Dec
Old Nov 28, 18, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA, AS Gold 75K, BA, QF, SQ, Marriott Platinum Premiere
Originally Posted by caseminole View Post
if i do that, do they re-deposit the credit to the wallet, or, are the miles forfeited as they need to be used by end of Dec
Sorry , I don't understand your question. You said you have $200 in credit that will expire at the end of December but now you mention miles & forfeiture?

James
Old Nov 29, 18, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
Sorry , I don't understand your question. You said you have $200 in credit that will expire at the end of December but now you mention miles & forfeiture?

James
Sorry, i mistyped. I meant to ask if the $200 (not miles) would still expire after the refund applied

In another words, say I buy a fully refundable ticket for $1,000, my credit card is charged $800 and $200 voucher applied

I cancel the ticket and get a full refund

Would they refund me $1,000 or $800, and if only $800, does the $200 go back into my wallet
Old Nov 29, 18, 2:13 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by caseminole View Post
Sorry, i mistyped. I meant to ask if the $200 (not miles) would still expire after the refund applied

In another words, say I buy a fully refundable ticket for $1,000, my credit card is charged $800 and $200 voucher applied

I cancel the ticket and get a full refund

Would they refund me $1,000 or $800, and if only $800, does the $200 go back into my wallet
Should you book this way and then cancel at a future date, both amounts would be refunded back to original forms of payment. $800 would go back on CCard and $200 would go back to your credit certificate (My Wallet). My wallet funds would then expire 1 year from original purchase date or 30 days (whichever is greater). https://www.alaskaair.com/content/gi...dit-cert-terms
Old Dec 6, 18, 8:56 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by MagicCarpetRider View Post
Should you book this way and then cancel at a future date, both amounts would be refunded back to original forms of payment. $800 would go back on CCard and $200 would go back to your credit certificate (My Wallet). My wallet funds would then expire 1 year from original purchase date or 30 days (whichever is greater). https://www.alaskaair.com/content/gi...dit-cert-terms
i am a bit confused about greater.

if I do this, I can extend 30 days at a time if I repeat the process?
MagicCarpetRider likes this.
Old Dec 6, 18, 10:29 pm

I assume the idea here is to book the cheapest fully refundable ticket as far our as you can and later exchange it for some itinerary you need. This should give you almost another year...
Old Dec 6, 18, 10:47 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
I assume the idea here is to book the cheapest fully refundable ticket as far our as you can and later exchange it for some itinerary you need. This should give you almost another year...
well as mvp gold. i dont really need to book fully refundable ticket.
Old Feb 2, 19, 5:08 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Hmmm....a birt confused....if I buy a fully refundable ticket (I am gold) and use my wallet funds as part of the purchase, then change that ticket or cancel it, the portion that was from my wallet goes back into my wallet. I think I have that right...but when to they expire? Is it a year from the date I buy the ticket? I know I'll be buying a ticket for a trip in October or November if not sooner but have wallet $ that expire in about 2 weeks.

Many thanks! KM
Old Feb 3, 19, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by kileysmom View Post
Hmmm....a birt confused....if I buy a fully refundable ticket (I am gold) and use my wallet funds as part of the purchase, then change that ticket or cancel it, the portion that was from my wallet goes back into my wallet. I think I have that right...but when to they expire? Is it a year from the date I buy the ticket? I know I'll be buying a ticket for a trip in October or November if not sooner but have wallet $ that expire in about 2 weeks.

Many thanks! KM
You said you're Gold, so you don't need refundable. Nonrefundable is fine so long as it's not Saver and you don't go over (or too much over) the cert amount.

The booking window is open until December. Any way you can just book that Oct/Nov ticket now?
Old Feb 3, 19, 7:47 am

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Gold, Club Carlson Gold
I tend to use my points for friends and family. Another option would be to spend the credit on someone else who needs a trip or as a gift if that is feasible.
Old Feb 3, 19, 2:16 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
I guess I could buy the Oct/Nov ticket and just change the dates when they do come in...that's actually a plan! Many thanks! KM