Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Possible to remove JL flights from my Alaska account?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2020, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

Long story short, I credited my JL flights to my AS account in August 2019. I called earlier this year to see if it was possible to remove the flights from my account so I can credit them to AA. AS said no even though I had called less than 6 months after crediting to AS since their accounting procedure prevents them from doing that after the calendar year conclude. They said it was possible if I had called before 2019 was over. I tried to escalate without any success. I had given up, but I was thinking maybe asking fellow FTers if there is anything more that I can do at this point? To be clear, I know it’s all my fault for causing this problem.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
That's not going to work...

For the sake of the argument, even AS could remove the JL credit from your account, AA may not accept the credit given it has been 1 year since the travel.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by garykung
That's not going to work...

For the sake of the argument, even AS could remove the JL credit from your account, AA may not accept the credit given it has been 1 year since the travel.
I started the JL flight in August, but returned in September.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Even if AS were willing to process a refund of what it has been paid by JL, you would need to find someone sufficiently at senior to then issue the miles and someone at AA willing to process the payment to JL. It's not quite the same as writing a series of checks, but close enough.

I would not do this unless I had someone at all three carriers lined up to make the multiple transactions. As it stands, even if AS processes this, you are unlikely to convince JL to reissue AA, pay AA and then AA willing to handle the transaction.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by lsquare
I started the JL flight in August, but returned in September.
It does not really the matter. You asked for the August flight. The August flight is what we focus.

FWIW - I don't believe AS is the issue. AA is the actual issue. If AA does not allow the credit, and you pulled the credit from AS, you will lose more than what you could get previously.

So before pushing AS further, are you sure that AA will take it, given that far?
Old Aug 1, 2020, 9:16 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
The part where they mentioned that it had to be done before the calendar year ended is probably the clue. It's not just RDM, but also EQM. There's probably either a policy or system block to disallow reversing credits after elite status for the following year has been finalized, even if it didn't tip you over into the next status tier.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 11:14 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rustykettel
The part where they mentioned that it had to be done before the calendar year ended is probably the clue. It's not just RDM, but also EQM. There's probably either a policy or system block to disallow reversing credits after elite status for the following year has been finalized, even if it didn't tip you over into the next status tier.
I don't think it has anything to do with EQM - rather, it's an accounting issue. JL wrote AS a check to issue the miles in 2019, and AS can't refund that check in 2020 without adding a pile of accounting complexity.
Often1 and writerguyfl like this.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 11:36 pm

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
IIRC most will not reverse these credits, which is why people usually recommend not adding an FFP to a reservation if one wants to credit segments separately. What's done is done and I'd recommend looking for other ways to achieve whatever it is you want.
eponymous_coward and Tokyoite like this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
What's done is done! Accept and move on. Also, learn from this.
eponymous_coward likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.