Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Run Help Needed (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Weather is a good point in December when most of us make our runs. I usually try to take that into consideration.

Although airports like ORD, JFK & BOS are well equipped to handle snow & ice removal after an event if you get the unfortunate luck of traveling during an active snow-storm, there's going to be a delay.

Honestly, traveling out of Seattle, it's SEA that is the biggest concern for weather in December. A slight freeze or a dusting of snow and the airport will shut down for approximately 3 months.
spamman808 and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Quintious
I don't feel like looking this up, but I ran into this situation once and ran a flight to DET and back at about 179 each way. Stopped off long enough to get a Coney dog and a Buscemi's sub, went right back and went home.

I'd recommend not flying into ORD - you have no idea how long you'll be stuck there due to weather delays.
Ha... when I did a MR to DTW a few years back (DEQM days) I got a Coney dog as well ^
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
12/11-12/13, 12/15 SEA-MKE-SEA $246

That MKE flight is probably a winner... out and back, 3388 miles, relatively minimal risk of weather issues since it's the same plane.
I did a SEA-MKE-SEA mileage run earlier this fall. In and out in one day, which was super convenient. Best part about it is the Usingers counter, right across from the AS gate. They have the best summer sausage ever! My only regret was not bringing home more ...
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by LWkitty
I did a SEA-MKE-SEA mileage run earlier this fall. In and out in one day, which was super convenient. Best part about it is the Usingers counter, right across from the AS gate. They have the best summer sausage ever! My only regret was not bringing home more ...
Still need to check out MKE sometime ^

Maybe MSN will happen in a few years with AS metal
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:35 pm

Need mileage run help from SFO or SJC

Currently MVPG, trying to get to 75k, but missing about 19,700 miles. I think doing a couple main cabin round trips to BOS or JFK from SFO will do the trick (can someone check my math? I'm totally new at this...), but it's time consuming and definitely not fun. I looked into doing SFO - BOS in F, but that still leaves me about 5k miles short. Any ideas on a reasonable weekend trip that can earn 19,700 for a Gold member? Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by ameskay
Currently MVPG, trying to get to 75k, but missing about 19,700 miles. I think doing a couple main cabin round trips to BOS or JFK from SFO will do the trick (can someone check my math? I'm totally new at this...), but it's time consuming and definitely not fun. I looked into doing SFO - BOS in F, but that still leaves me about 5k miles short. Any ideas on a reasonable weekend trip that can earn 19,700 for a Gold member? Thanks in advance for any help!
do another turn in Y class for SFO - JFK/EWR/BOS would pick up another 5k miles.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
One transcon round trip in Y earns 5k in elite miles, and you will need 4 of those round trips.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456
do another turn in Y class for SFO - JFK/EWR/BOS would pick up another 5k miles.
If I have to do a second RT, isn't it just cheaper to do 2 cheapest economy RT from SFO - JFK/EWR/BOS (I get 100% bonus from MVPG)? I was hoping for one weekend run (Sat - Sun) that can knock out the entire 19,700...
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
If I have to do a second RT, isn't it just cheaper to do 2 cheapest economy RT from SFO - JFK/EWR/BOS (I get 100% bonus from MVPG)? I was hoping for one weekend run (Sat - Sun) that can knock out the entire 19,700...
one round trip in Y only nets 5000 status miles and 10000 redeemable miles.

you need almost 20k status miles which is quite a bit to do in one weekend.

if you buy a first class ticket to london on BA, it would be sufficient. as it earns you 10k*2.5 = 25k
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
20k in two days makes my head hurt. Do you need 75k or 90k (including partner miles)?
SFO-BOS-SFO in F is only going to get you ~9464 EQM. So I don't think it's possible in one weekend unless you connect in SAN/PDX/SEA/LAX

Great Circle Mapper

If you can use partner miles (close to 90k total), just book a r/t BA flight in full F
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by sturges
20k in two days makes my head hurt. Do you need 75k or 90k (including partner miles)?
SFO-BOS-SFO in F is only going to get you ~9464 EQM. So I don't think it's possible in one weekend unless you connect in SAN/PDX/SEA/LAX
Yeah, I'm trying to hit 90k because most of my miles this year was with partner airlines.

Maybe I am not understanding how to calculate miles correctly. If I take this itinerary, for example:

Since the total round trip miles are 5394, and I would get a MVPG bonus of another 5394, and if I fly in F, I'd get another 4045 for the 75% additional bonus, so doesn't that come out to a total of 14,855?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Yeah, I'm trying to hit 90k because most of my miles this year was with partner airlines.

Maybe I am not understanding how to calculate miles correctly. If I take this itinerary, for example:

Since the total round trip miles are 5394, and I would get a MVPG bonus of another 5394, and if I fly in F, I'd get another 4045 for the 75% additional bonus, so doesn't that come out to a total of 14,855?
Not for EQM. Elite bonus flight miles don't count towards future elite status qualification.
ameskay likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold

No, the Elite MVPG 100% bonus miles are Redeemable Miles only. Only the actual miles plus Class of Service bonus is EQM towards status. In this case 5,394 + 4,045 = 9,441.

James
ameskay likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Not for EQM. Elite bonus flight miles don't count towards future elite status qualification.
Ohhhh, I see where I went wrong. Okay, this seems like a pointless exercise, then. 20k seems way too far out of reach. Thanks for the clarification!
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
mileage runs

One thing with mileage runs. It would be great to know which airports have the most services plane-side, without having to re-gate/exit and pass back through TSA. Example: BOS has 3 tiny gates in one cinderblock terminal building, a microscopic "bar" that's flooded under harsh white fluorescent light, and a grab-n-go sandwich and candy stand. That's it. Compare/Contrast SEA where you pretty much get 95% of the airport plane-side. ORD gives you almost the whole airport planeside. While TPA you only get 1 terminal consisting of about 10 gates -- similar to N in SEA in size, but you can't leave without passing out of security. Contrast with DFW which lets you roam the entire airport with assistance of the SkyLink, it is a maximum 11 minutes to traverse it's circuit - useful for visiting the Admirals Lounges in A, B, C or D then making it back to E11. BOI gives you the whole airport, such as it is, plane-side. But that's still only 2 bars, because, well, BOI. But you see my point. These milk runs are ultimately about achieving miles, but it'd be nice if we had a wiki/faq on if lounge access (Partners or Alaska) were available plane-side, for example. I might start a spreadsheet if nobody else does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.