Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS 1409 JFK-LAX (11/25/2018) - No In-Seat Power, IFE or Wi-Fi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS 1409 JFK-LAX (11/25/2018) - No In-Seat Power, IFE or Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
This has happened to me on 2 of my 3 flights on Airbus planes. They are just unreliable, and Alaska should drop them.
I have taken 7 flights on ex-VX Airbus planes since the merger completed, and RED worked on every flight. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I haven't encountered any planes that looked really run down inside. A little wear and tear, one flight had some lav issues, but overall nothing major. The main thing I notice is how much more comfortable the VX Y seats are compared to the rock slabs on AS. In terms of run-down aircraft, some flights I took on HP, US and AA over the past 10-15 years really come to mind. Funny how all those airlines had Doug Parker at the helm...
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Gig103
I'm not a frequent AS flier, but on any carrier equating an IFE and in-cabin power absence to a pending "Major incident" is such hyperbole. The FAA regulates the heck out of aircraft, which is a good thing for safety records. Will AS stop maintaining the pmVX cabins? Maybe, I can't comment on that. But will AS keep them safe for flying? Yes.
Exactly. These pilots will refuse to fly if there is any material concern for the airworthiness of the airplane.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by tom911
Does anyone know the details of ownership of the Airbus aircraft? Are they owned or leased? If leased, how long are they obligated to hold onto them? How quickly could they procure new 737 aircraft from Boeing? Do they get any preferential treatment in new aircraft orders?
They're mostly leased. This article has some more info on the timing of the leases, etc, but I anticipate they'll plan to keep them around through at least 2025 when most expire. Doesn't make a ton of sense to do full cabin mods, only to get rid of them a couple years later.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/...bus-fleet.aspx
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gig103
I'm not a frequent AS flier, but on any carrier equating an IFE and in-cabin power absence to a pending "Major incident" is such hyperbole. The FAA regulates the heck out of aircraft, which is a good thing for safety records. Will AS stop maintaining the pmVX cabins? Maybe, I can't comment on that. But will AS keep them safe for flying? Yes.
There are airlines that seem to have maintenance issues, but AS is not one of them. I would not feel comfortable flying southwest right now, for example, regardless of FAA regs. They have had too many incidents. Alaska has not had an incident since 2000.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by pcoll
“Something Bigger is OFF”. This sentence was chilling. It seems just a matter of time before there is a MAJOR incident with pmVX planes.
Our experience on these planes has been that the last 6 flights in F have ALL had issues with seats and IFE.
Could you please explain how "issues with seats and IFE" are related to safety of flight?
pbelmore likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
This article has some more info on the timing of the leases, etc,
Pretty informative article. Thanks.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Gold 1MM (the unfriendly sky), Marriott Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz no longer
Originally Posted by pcoll
Going forward, NO MORE AS as now our safety is of concern. IMHO.
IFE or electrical plugs not working is a standard occurrence on lots of planes of lots of airlines. I have stopped counting how many time there was no electricity on UA planes ...
You don't send a plane for maintenance each time a convenience feature is not working. Taking a plane out of production is something that need to be scheduled weeks in advance.
AS doesn't cut corner on safety maintenance, the airline that has been caught not maintaining safety standard by the FAA is SW.
SW just grounded 34 planes for not meeting FAA standards (and it's not the first time it happened).
For the people that have concern about their safety, it is not AS that should be avoided!
JacksonFlyer and jinglish like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by VX N281VA
OP: sorry you experienced such horrid service. There used to be a VX maintenance base at JFK, but it seems as if AS has decided one of the nations most lucrative and important centres is unworthy of an MX base.
There still is an Airbus maintenance base at JFK. Staffed by both company and vendor mechanics.
DAL is the only company staffed station that has been closed since the merger.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Putzy
There still is an Airbus maintenance base at JFK. Staffed by both company and vendor mechanics.

When you say "company staffed" are you referring to MX or gate agents as well?

DAL served as a defacto base for the 319 fleet; not sure if this was by design (to consolidate MX or other 319-specific routine needs to one base) or by necessity (DAL flights had systemically low loads, so basing the 319s there makes sense). It used to be that the 319s basically circled between DAL-LAX-SFO-DAL-LGA-DAL-DCA-DAL-SFO-LAX-DAL with half of the subfleet (5/10 ships) remaining overnight at DAL on any given day.

Were the ground staff contracted out too?

Haven't had a need to go to Dallas since the merger, but whatever happened with VX's "First Class Check-In" lounge? I assume that got tossed -- it was only two white $4.5k Eames Lounge Chairs, a desk, a minifridge, and some white fluffy temporary walls, occupying about 20 square feet.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Putzy
Not according to this post:

Originally Posted by jjmadison
Last month, on an EWR-SFO flight, the crew made the decision to fly with one nav computer down (ie. no backup). After the flight, I had a chance to speak with the pilot.

He explained that since the merger, AS has cut full-time exVX maintenance resources at east coast airports and now solely use contractors. The switch to contractors saves AS money, but the downside is they do not A) have as many parts on-hand and B) take longer to show up and C) can't fix all of the issues the previous maintenance crews could. The result is that AS pilots flying from east coast airports are stuck making less-than-ideal decisions when equipment goes out: either cancel a flight, or fly without key equipment. Most of the time this is not a safety issue, but reportedly sometimes it is.

In my case, this was a senior pilot. He said he was completely comfortable flying without a nav computer backup. His co-pilot was nervous, having less flight experience, but went along with the senior officer's decision. All told, this appears to be one of the unfortunate realities of AS cost-cutting.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:32 pm

That pilot is clueless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.