Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS 1409 JFK-LAX (11/25/2018) - No In-Seat Power, IFE or Wi-Fi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM

I guess I should have thought to bring a candle or flashlight.. AS1409 left JFk today with an announcement that there would be no power onboard the aircraft. No seat power, no internet, no entertainment and an excuse that they have no one at JFK to fix minor repairs.

Our dark AS(s) flight departed and nothing more illuminated the aircraft passenger experience so deficient and disappointing that aside from the bizarre inconvenience left me wondering what else may not be working onboard that keeps the flight airborne.

Alaska Air and it’s deaf attitude toward passengers is enough to get this seasoned traveler to look anywhere else’s for my next flight.

So sad that current Alaska Airlines mgt is completely blind to basic norms and safety standards.

THE LIGHTS ARE OUT AT ALASKA AIRLKNES.

pcoll likes this.

Last edited by cyber1k; Nov 25, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by cyber1k
I guess I should have throught to bring a candle or flashlight.. AS1409 left JFk today with an announcement that there would be no power onboard the aircraft. No seat power, no internet, no entertainment and an excuse that they have no one at JFK to fix minor repairs.

Our dark AS(s) flight departed and nothing more illuminated the aircraft passenger experience so deficient and disappointing that aside from the bizarre inconvenience left me wondering what else may not be working onboard that keeps the flight airborne.

Alaska Air and it’s deaf attitude toward passengers is enough to get this seainsed traveler to look anywhere else’s for my next flight.

So sad that current mgt is completely bling to basic norms and safety standards.

THE LIGHTS ARE OUT AT ALASKA AIRLKNES.

You do realise there are various circuits in the aircraft...and id bet large amounts of money on navigation and other vital systems NOT being supplied by the same circuits as domestic cabin supply.... just sayin.. (Never mind that you seem to be suggesting the flight crew would intentionally fly with important systems out)

I would like to ask what YOU would have had them do? I assume you will receive some form of compensation for the outage... but ...would you rather have sat on the ground waiting for some negotiated arrangement for SOMEONE to repair it...or not fly at all...or... what?

Last edited by trooper; Nov 25, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

So sad that current Alaska Airlines mgt is completely blind to basic norms and safety standards.

Were there pilots in the cockpit? (you know, those guys or gals in uniform with a personal vested interest in getting to the destination safely)
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
This happened to me 2 weeks ago on a SFO-EWR Airbus flight. All power in the F cabin was totally out due to a blown circuit. Not a thing could be done. Captain was in touch with maintenance who advised to continue on. Purser mentioned we'd be receiving comp.

Of course no compensation received, and after writing in, only got a measly $75. Seems a bit harsh for a completely non-functioning cabin.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Were there cabin lights of any kind?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Of course no compensation received, and after writing in, only got a measly $75. Seems a bit harsh for a completely non-functioning cabin.
AS has always been relatively stingy in the compensation department compared to other domestic carriers. $75 seems to be on the high side for them for something like no power. If compensation had been issued automatically, I’d guess it would have been lower.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
This happened to me 2 weeks ago on a SFO-EWR Airbus flight. All power in the F cabin was totally out due to a blown circuit. Not a thing could be done. Captain was in touch with maintenance who advised to continue on. Purser mentioned we'd be receiving comp.

For comparison, $75 was proactively offered to me in a different situation because the res agent didn't know how to book partner awards and had to keep putting me on hold to ask various Qs to his supervisor several times.. instead of just transferring me to someone else. I didn't complain at all but after it was all booked he apologized and they just tossed me the code by email.

$75 for that level of inconvenience on a 6 hour flight seems really low, in comparison to my extra hour on the phone. Maybe $75 is their "no upper level approval needed" comp amount?
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
$75 for that level of inconvenience on a 6 hour flight seems really low, in comparison to my extra hour on the phone. Maybe $75 is their "no upper level approval needed" comp amount?
If I could get $75 for every flight in exchange for no wifi, no IFE and no personal overhead lights, I would sign up right away. My IFE consists of Kindle (Oasis, so has backlight) and iPad/Pixel with podcasts, music and videos, and I am one of those odd creatures that relishes being disconnected from the world for a little bit (i.e., I don't buy WiFi ever). I do understand that other people have different preferences, but for me $75 would be awesome
MagicCarpetRider and windscar like this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AS rarely gives me $ for anything. They finally agreed once to reimburse equal to to cost of after hours limo transport after SEA-BOS was delayed 6 hours twice in one week. only about $150 worth which equals $75 per flight.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:37 pm

The reality is that if there are no spares at JFK, which I'm pretty sure is the case, then they basically have to either cancel the flight or defer the issue until they can get back to a hub. I'm sure they would not dispatch the flight if there was any kind of safety issue in the cockpit. I'm guessing most passengers would choose to fly on-time and get to their destination, as opposed to ending up stranded on one of the busiest travel days of the year. As for compensation, AS advertises 400+ free entertainment options on its flights, as well as at seat power and free chat. They did not deliver on their advertised service and I feel compensation should be at least $75. Definitely write in if no voucher is offered.
BearX220, pcoll, jinglish and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CDKing
AS rarely gives me $ for anything. They finally agreed once to reimburse equal to to cost of after hours limo transport after SEA-BOS was delayed 6 hours twice in one week. only about $150 worth which equals $75 per flight.

Frankly, I'm not even thinking about compensation. What I am thinking about is how something so fundamental becomes okay to ignore. And it makes me wonder what else is being ignored that I cannot see. I'm wondering how you could run an airline and have operational leadership that okays a flight going out with no electricity in the cabin. How could there be such a gaff in operational support in America's largest city airport or any airport. It really is about a realization and absolute desire to avoid any future exposure by choosing to fly AS on purpose. Takeaway: Something bigger is off and it doesn't feel right.
Nurse Traveler likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So were all the cabin lights off too. The only light was coming from the open windows?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Frankly, I'm not even thinking about compensation. What I am thinking about is how something so fundamental becomes okay to ignore. And it makes me wonder what else is being ignored that I cannot see. I'm wondering how you could run an airline and have operational leadership that okays a flight going out with no electricity in the cabin. How could there be such a gaff in operational support in America's largest city airport or any airport. It really is about a realization and absolute desire to avoid any future exposure by choosing to fly AS on purpose. Takeaway: Something bigger is off and it doesn't feel right.
You've got a valid point. All airlines defer maintenance on aircraft on a daily basis, but it's usually not something that's so significantly customer facing. I will say that the Airbii do seem to be the redheaded stepchildren in this merger, and we've seen a general decline in those cabins (especially in F, I find it shocking if the leg rests don't have an issue or two with them these days) for months now. Speculation has been that they're getting cabin mods soon and that could be a contributing factor, but none of us have any way of knowing the real reasons.

I don't feel unsafe in them and by all accounts they're still leaps and bounds above the Boeings from a comfort standpoint, but it is something to consider.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Last month, on an EWR-SFO flight, the crew made the decision to fly with one nav computer down (ie. no backup). After the flight, I had a chance to speak with the pilot.

He explained that since the merger, AS has cut full-time exVX maintenance resources at east coast airports and now solely use contractors. The switch to contractors saves AS money, but the downside is they do not A) have as many parts on-hand and B) take longer to show up and C) can't fix all of the issues the previous maintenance crews could. The result is that AS pilots flying from east coast airports are stuck making less-than-ideal decisions when equipment goes out: either cancel a flight, or fly without key equipment. Most of the time this is not a safety issue, but reportedly sometimes it is.

In my case, this was a senior pilot. He said he was completely comfortable flying without a nav computer backup. His co-pilot was nervous, having less flight experience, but went along with the senior officer's decision. All told, this appears to be one of the unfortunate realities of AS cost-cutting.
Sealink and mikeysf like this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by jjmadison
Last month, on an EWR-SFO flight, the crew made the decision to fly with one nav computer down (ie. no backup). After the flight, I had a chance to speak with the pilot.

He explained that since the merger, AS has cut full-time exVX maintenance resources at east coast airports and now solely use contractors. The switch to contractors saves AS money, but the downside is they do not A) have as many parts on-hand and B) take longer to show up and C) can't fix all of the issues the previous maintenance crews could. The result is that AS pilots flying from east coast airports are stuck making less-than-ideal decisions when equipment goes out: either cancel a flight, or fly without key equipment. Most of the time this is not a safety issue, but reportedly sometimes it is...
Well, this makes my broken leg rests seem pretty trivial by comparison, that's for sure!

It also makes me think I should seriously consider returning to one of the Big 3 for EWR/JFK since they all have maintenance resources on each end of these flights.
Sealink likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.