Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AA destination not allowed for website search?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Hello all. Ran into this situation today and wonder if anyone might have a solution.

Trying to book a trip from PDX to SJU, with one stop at DFW and the second leg on AA (still ticketed by AS). Google Flights can easily find the ticket, and I can use their link to get to the AS "cart" page. But when I use AS website, search engine wouldn't allow SJU as a destination, unless I check the "award flight" box. Is there any workaround to this?

From what it looks like right now, I can only try searching for the itinerary on Google Flights and go from there. But I really want to search through AS own website for other possible routings.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
unless it’s a code-share destination, AS website won’t allow a revenue (non-award) booking
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
*EDIT*

Why it wont come up on the AS site directly, i don't know but you can push through from google flights. Its AS coded. Though GF only comes up with good prices but the return is looking to be a challenge

Last edited by CDKing; Nov 25, 2018 at 10:23 am Reason: better screenshot
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
unless it’s a code-share destination, AS website won’t allow a revenue (non-award) booking
So does this mean a revenue booking to SJU (a non code-share destination) would be considered "illegal" by AS?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
*EDIT*

Why it wont come up on the AS site directly, i don't know but you can push through from google flights. Its AS coded. Though GF only comes up with good prices but the return is looking to be a challenge

I figured this's probably the only way to go, but I do worry if this's going to be violating any AS terms and result in not getting partner miles, etc... I guess when I purchase the ticket I'll give them a call and check then.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jrl767
the screenshot from CDKing shows an AS flight number (AS4499) for DFW-SJU, so isn’t that a code share? Or a bug of alaskaair.com?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Looks like a bug on the AS website search. However, you'll still get your miles using the Google Flights link.
ezak likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

Is this new? I could swear the last time I tried to book an award ticket to a non-AS destination and forgot to check the checkbox it simply didn't find the airport code.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Is this new? I could swear the last time I tried to book an award ticket to a non-AS destination and forgot to check the checkbox it simply didn't find the airport code.
It is normal functionality. AS does not fly to/from Frankfurt. You need to click Use Miles so AS knows you are looking for an award otherwise it will only allow cities served by AS or a codeshare.

James
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It is normal functionality. AS does not fly to/from Frankfurt. You need to click Use Miles so AS knows you are looking for an award otherwise it will only allow cities served by AS or a codeshare.

James
I know that

My question was, is the helpful message new? I don’t recall ever seeing that before when searching for awards.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

I know that

My question was, is the helpful message new? I don’t recall ever seeing that before when searching for awards.
Sorry, now that I think about it, I believe you are correct. I don't specifically remember the pop-up error message.

James
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've seen that (the pop-up telling you to click "use miles") at last as early as the beginning of this year (when I was looking to book my first ever AS award after transferring my VX pts)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.