Wiki Posts
Search

Time to raise elite thresholds?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Red Lion Gold
Time to raise elite thresholds?

Curioua what others think....I'd really like to see Alaska raise the MVP mark to 25K and Gold to 50K.

I almost never ever get upgrades anymore and I find myself being like #10 on the list or even lower. Whether it’s from matches or more people earning status, premium class is pretty much the best I’m ever seeing anymore.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
And minimum spend at $2.5k/$5k/$9k?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:23 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

My opinion is that AS needs another year to see how elites rank shake out after the combination of the AS/VX programs. There also seems to have been a lot of status matches from AA in the last two years. Reassessing in January, 2020 may yield a more meaningful analysis.

If it is decided that elite thresholds should be raised, my suggestion would be to first increase the elite-qualifying partner miles levels (e.g., 30K, 55K, 100K).
tusphotog, maradori, zs58 and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:25 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by rustykettel
And minimum spend at $2.5k/$5k/$9k?
Heresy!!! Bite your tongue.
ijkh, Jma12, jjmadison and 9 others like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
I suspect if they make status “harder” in any way, it’ll be by introducing a 100k tier (possibly requiring 120k or 125k with partners, to match DL Diamond). A few small additions would be added at the top, but mostly, benefits would move up-tier or stay the same. I worry about this a lot. (I fly ~90-95k with AS each year, but rarely pass 100k without partners.)

My advice would be to never hope that they make status harder to get (but just hard enough so you keep what you have, and it’s harder for others!). They’ll wind up passing you, too, eventually. If you want more consistent upgrades, hope the program stays exactly as it is as long as possible, and do some mileage runs to get to the next tier up.
bbinchi, milypan and Eurynom0s like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by dayone
If it is decided that elite thresholds should be raised, my suggestion would be to first increase the elite-qualifying partner miles levels (e.g., 30K, 55K, 100K).
Given that earnings on cheap economy fares on most partners are pretty dismal, that's not exactly easy at this point anyway, unless you're flying a bunch of premium cabins.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
My opinion is that AS needs another year to see how elites rank shake out after the combination of the AS/VX programs. There also seems to have been a lot of status matches from AA in the last two years. Reassessing in January, 2020 may yield a more meaningful analysis.

And with the elite $$ changes at the others, will be a shake out from them.
But most flyers are not that interested in ffp's. How many will change airlines is debatable. We are the 1% 2% 3% ?% who are interested in the fine details of ffp's and use them.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
I have noticed the end of the year tougher to get upgrades...plenty of new people qualify while others that are surfing towards a downgrade in January....i would like to gauge this in January when everyone that didnt requalify shake out of the system.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:01 pm

Alaska is monetizing the first class cabin more than ever. Routes that can't sell F are selling P. Status upgrades have decreased overall as a result. My upgrade success as a 75K is lower than it's ever been, and I typically buy at least a month out. So now I'm buying the seat if I really want to sit up front. Higher thresholds won't solve that dynamic. And I doubt Alaska wants to raise thresholds right as we enter a recession...
milypan, JPat, Crazy Dave and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:04 pm

Hi -

Another reason upgrades are harder late in the year is people topping off their accounts to hit/retain status. I am seeing more and more planes that are full in F and 1/3-1/2 full in Y.

The reality is that MVPs can get upgraded sometimes up and down the coast; anything else is a gift. Golds get west coast UGs most of the time, but mid con/transcon you have to have luck or fly on off-peak days. The only way to get upgraded consistently these days is to be 75K. And even that can fail on heavy business travel days.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

Another reason upgrades are harder late in the year is people topping off their accounts to hit/retain status. I am seeing more and more planes that are full in F and 1/3-1/2 full in Y.

The reality is that MVPs can get upgraded sometimes up and down the coast; anything else is a gift. Golds get west coast UGs most of the time, but mid con/transcon you have to have luck or fly on off-peak days. The only way to get upgraded consistently these days is to be 75K. And even that can fail on heavy business travel days.
A recent hopscotch across the USA yielded 2 of 8 segments into the front. This was with a G75K and MVPG.

Yeah, those are decreasing.

I've been hitting 100K+ on AS for a couple years now, so I could see a new tier. As a MM'er however, I'm not sure we want another level.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Always nice to see another “raise the threshold right to the level where I benefit the most” thread.

:-)
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:25 am

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
AS has been messing with their upgrade process during their second half of this year, basically shutting the door on elite upgrade days ahead of departure. So I don't think upping the elite levels will increase chances of upgrade for the top tier members. For example I am 75K, and in the last 6 weeks I flew four segments to HI, 2 segments transcon, and 2 segments mid-con+. I got upgraded 4 out of these 8 segments, and 0 for 4 this month. Granted this is a small set of data, and upgrades chances also depends on your routes, but I see this as a new trend, especially the 120-hour upgrade window for 75K was basically gone even before October.

QT31415 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:09 am
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
The change from 16 to 12 F seats on most planes has reduced the number of upgrades significantly. However when saver fares roll out the number of upgrades should increase since a percentage of elites will take the savings and be ineligible.

As for raising the requirements I'd say that would be bad. If anything maybe add a tier above 75k.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by T2A
The change from 16 to 12 F seats on most planes has reduced the number of upgrades significantly.
In what universe is ~38% most of the 737 fleet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.