Booking LATAM/LAN flights with AS Miles

Old Nov 8, 18, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, United, American Airlines
Booking LATAM/LAN flights with AS Miles

I just go the email with the "50% bonus on purchased miles". Before purchasing miles, I called into Alaska Airlines to see if I could actually use these miles to book a business class ticket on LATAM/LAN with the miles.

The agent could not find any availability in business class from North America to South America.

We searched several different city pairs for a whole week in August of 2019. Miami to Sao Paulo, LAX to SCL, etc.... we might have had one city pair that had availability if that...

This is super frustrating because I had a ton of miles saved to book some Cathay Pacific flights last year, and no availability, ended up going on JAL.

Has anyone here had luck booking business class on LATAM with AS miles?

Thanks!
Old Nov 9, 18, 9:19 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K
Same experience here. Nothing in coach either the last time I tried.
Old Nov 9, 18, 11:40 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, NEXUS, Mooney driver
Originally Posted by petomoo View Post
I just go the email with the "50% bonus on purchased miles". Before purchasing miles, I called into Alaska Airlines to see if I could actually use these miles to book a business class ticket on LATAM/LAN with the miles.

The agent could not find any availability in business class from North America to South America.

We searched several different city pairs for a whole week in August of 2019. Miami to Sao Paulo, LAX to SCL, etc.... we might have had one city pair that had availability if that...

This is super frustrating because I had a ton of miles saved to book some Cathay Pacific flights last year, and no availability, ended up going on JAL.

Has anyone here had luck booking business class on LATAM with AS miles?

Thanks!
MAI-GRU is a pre-merger JJ route and is probably not eligible for Mileage Plan redemption (last I tried). Most of the old TAM flights aren't eligible.
LATAM is incredibly protective over their awards for partners I commonly find only 1 seat for a whole month available in business class.

The best way to find seats is to create an account on ba.com and search for availability there. The availability available to Alaska is usually similar/the same as what is available to BA customers.

It is possible to book LAX-SCL (did it last year) in J, but I had to be very flexible on my dates.
mixmastermark likes this.
Old Nov 9, 18, 7:24 pm

Programs: alaska
we ended up doing American to our desired South American city. We could only ever find one business class seat at a time.
Old Nov 9, 18, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses.

We need two J seats, so looks like this won't work.

Super frustrating to have every miles and points blogger on the interwebs saying "Wow. Alaska Airlines miles are THE BEST! You can book a one way from North America to South America on LATAM for only 45k Alaska miles. WHAT A STEAL!"

What are these bloggers smoking? You can also win billions of dollars playing the PowerBall, but the odds of actually winning are slim (But maybe higher than finding 2 J seats on LATAM with Alaska miles lol)
Old Nov 10, 18, 9:32 am

Thanks for the responses.

We need two J seats, so looks like this won't work.

Super frustrating to have every miles and points blogger on the interwebs saying "Wow. Alaska Airlines miles are THE BEST! You can book a one way from North America to South America on LATAM for only 45k Alaska miles. WHAT A STEAL!"

What are these bloggers smoking? You can also win billions of dollars playing the PowerBall, but the odds of actually winning are slim (But maybe higher than finding 2 J seats on LATAM with Alaska miles lol)
That's the difference between bloggers who look at award charts and bloggers who actually book or at least search for award seats.

I know I sound like a broken record on this but AS has gutted their Mileage Plan to the point that it's no better than any other. The fact that it's not (explicitly) revenue-based has pulled the wool over bloggers' eyes who don't actually fly AS and use MP.
Old Nov 10, 18, 10:13 am

Programs: AS, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, IHG Au, HH Au, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Professional bloggers are selling eyeballs to advertisers and (often) credit card commissions. Actually getting you a booked award isn't their product.
Old Nov 10, 18, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
Professional bloggers are selling eyeballs to advertisers and (often) credit card commissions. Actually getting you a booked award isn't their product.
Yeah, one would hope that there's some coupling between the quality of their information and their revenues but...
rustykettel likes this.
Old Nov 10, 18, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by IStream View Post
That's the difference between bloggers who look at award charts and bloggers who actually book or at least search for award seats.

I know I sound like a broken record on this but AS has gutted their Mileage Plan to the point that it's no better than any other. The fact that it's not (explicitly) revenue-based has pulled the wool over bloggers' eyes who don't actually fly AS and use MP.
You do know a lot of them run award booking services, right? So they would be booking and searching for seats.
Old Nov 10, 18, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

You do know a lot of them run award booking services, right? So they would be booking and searching for seats.
Good point, but if that's the case, why not a post about "The 45K AS miles award redemption is harder to find than a one-eyed unicorn."

With these writers, it seems to be only good news.
Old Nov 11, 18, 5:31 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Good point, but if that's the case, why not a post about "The 45K AS miles award redemption is harder to find than a one-eyed unicorn."

With these writers, it seems to be only good news.
Yeah, even TPG has gone down the tubes quite a bit.
They've exchanged informative articles and write-ups and reviews for some REALLY click-baity headlines, authored by a whole slew of new hires that apparently just graduated from CNN Journalism Junior College.

Then, OTOH, you have blogs like OMaaT, where Lucky will only give your airline a positive review if you have a CERTAIN LAYOUT of business class reverse herringbone seats manufactured by a certain manufacturer; everything else in the sky is immediately labeled as "subpar," "uncompetitive," or "obsolete."

The blogs are as bad as a.net!

Meanwhile, I've discovered that LAN/LATAM (emphasis on LAN) is really a good partner for EARNING miles... not so much on REDEEMING them. Kind of like Singapore.
Old Nov 11, 18, 9:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Legend717 View Post

[...]

Meanwhile, I've discovered that LAN/LATAM (emphasis on LAN) is really a good partner for EARNING miles... not so much on REDEEMING them. Kind of like Singapore.
When did Singapore become a good partner airline for EARNING miles? LA is not as attractive since July 1st either with the loss of J COS & most Y fare buckets < 100% EQM. Both airlines are poor for AS EQM with Singapore "nose diving" into the bottom spot.

James
Old Nov 12, 18, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post

I do realize that. But not all of them. Hence, my point.
Old Nov 12, 18, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Legend717 View Post
Yeah, even TPG has gone down the tubes quite a bit.
They've exchanged informative articles and write-ups and reviews for some REALLY click-baity headlines, authored by a whole slew of new hires that apparently just graduated from CNN Journalism Junior College.
haha. Yeah, bunch of fake news. Lucky pushes the AS miles like they're drugs.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: