Bag storage at LAX

Old Nov 8, 18, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Bag storage at LAX

Hi, all. Coming up, I have an all-day layover at LAX. I made plans to get out of the airport for a few hours between flights without renting a car, but then I realized I need to do something with my single carry-on bag.

Where at LAX can I leave a bag for the afternoon? If it matters, I can access the T6 Alaska Lounge.

Thanks for any help for suggestions.

Last edited by discoverCSG; Nov 8, 18 at 7:46 am Reason: Typo
Old Nov 8, 18, 6:06 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by discoverCSG View Post
Hi, all. Coming up, I have an all-day layover at LAX. I made plans to get out of the airport for a few hours between flights renting a car, but then I realized I need to do something with my single carry-on bag.

Where at LAX can I leave a bag for the afternoon? If it matters, I can access the T6 Alaska Lounge.

Thanks for any help for suggestions.
Your best, unofficial, luck is so: arrive at the AS lounge, squat in common area, and leave bag. Then leave AS lounge.

Any other suggestions will get you alerted to Airport Police and assuming you have no other alliance, AS lounge it is. Fortunately, just sneak it in the biz zone - but not too deep to look suspicious. I regularly leave bags in lounges and then go elsewhere for extended periods of time. No one in the lounges do sweeps........
Old Nov 8, 18, 7:48 am
Original Poster

That's an... interesting... suggestion. But I'm not crazy about leaving my baggage unattended in an airport for all kinds of obvious reasons.

So the AS lounge staff won't store bags? And there's no other business in LAX that will? Has anybody had luck with nearby hotels storing bags?
Old Nov 8, 18, 8:08 am

Programs: AS and if I can't avoid it, UA. IHG Spire, CET 7*
Where are you going all day without a car near LAX?

When I've been in this situation in the past, I've taken a shuttle to one of the airport hotels and just stored it with the bell desk.

*edited to add - there is no onsite facility to store luggage at LAX, I don't think there's been one there since 9/11. And no, I'd never just leave luggage in a lounge either.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Last edited by NoLaGent; Nov 8, 18 at 9:35 am Reason: luggage storage.
Old Nov 8, 18, 10:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K
No luggage storage in LAX. I've looked into, but never actually used, a couple of nearby luggage storage services, laxluggagestorage and lax247lockerrentals. The former offers pickup/delivery for extra fees although gets mixed reviews.
Old Nov 8, 18, 10:44 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
Wouldn't recommend leaving your bag in the Alaska Lounge by any means. I'd feel comfortable doing it, with lounge staff permission, if I were to leave the lounge for a few minutes, but for hours, without notice? Definitely not a great idea. At minimum, you risk losing your bag to theft, or on the opposite end of the spectrum creating a security scare resulting in a shutdown of the entire terminal (maybe not likely, but certainly wouldn't be the ideal scenario to arrive back to your connecting flight for).

Rent a car to get around and keep your bag there, drop by a nearby hotel and ask them to hold it (if you need to, fib and say you're checking-in later, then say you got the wrong hotel if they question you at pickup), or use one of the storage services mentioned above.
Old Nov 8, 18, 8:37 pm

I had a 7 hour layover between my Alaska flight from SJC in First Class to a United LAX SFO TLlV flight where I had UA club access. I had the Alaska Lounge. Concierge call the baggage office and they held it until 1:30 PM with no problems.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 9, 18, 4:26 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by VX N281VA View Post
Your best, unofficial, luck is so: arrive at the AS lounge, squat in common area, and leave bag. Then leave AS lounge.
That seems like a good way to get into a heap of trouble, get something stolen, or get your baggage destroyed.

It's not uncommon to see a bag unattended for a short time to save a seat/table as a person steps away for food/drink restroom, etc.
But left long enough it could attract attention and an unattended bag, anywhere in the airport, is going to trigger some unpleasant events.

Not worth the risk to yourself (possible charges) or the disruption to your fellow travelers.

If its a day trip, just bring a backpack instead of roller bag. Hell, I've taken day trips without any kind of bag.
Old Nov 9, 18, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by danielonn View Post
I had a 7 hour layover between my Alaska flight from SJC in First Class to a United LAX SFO TLlV flight where I had UA club access. I had the Alaska Lounge. Concierge call the baggage office and they held it until 1:30 PM with no problems.
Not claiming the bag could work if checked, but always a risk of it getting lost or even stolen
Old Nov 11, 18, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful information and advice, everyone.

I was able to find a solution to my challenge that involves storing my bag legally, with permission, far from the airport, in a way that isn't likely to cause anyone to be evacuated from anywhere, nor likely to result in theft. Since it doesn't apply to bag storage at LAX generally for AS passengers, I won't be more specific than that.

SEA, PDX, and SFO (along with a host of other airports around the world) have businesses that store luggage for a fee; too bad LAX doesn't have one on-site.
Old Nov 11, 18, 7:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The best and easiest solution is to store the bag at any hotel at or near the hotel. Even if in an Uber, simply have the car drop by the hotel and wait while you drop off. I have yet to find a property where the staff are not thrilled to hold a bag in the storage room in return for a nice tip. On return, swing by and pick up. This works pretty much anywhere that has anything passing for a hotel near the airport.
Old Nov 11, 18, 5:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP
There's no bag storage at LAX. Or any US airport, AFAIK, certainly not since 9/11.

Your best bet would be to hop on one of the hotel airport shuttles and store your bag there. As a bonus, you'll avoid the LAX Uber/Lyft fee, probably get a car a lot faster than if you tried to get an Uber/Lyft directly from the terminal (the traffic on the loop can be ....ing brutal and they make the rideshares wait off-site until they get a pickup request), and by extension probably pay a lot less even beyond the LAX fee since you're not paying for them to slog through the loop coming to get you.
Old Nov 11, 18, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA *G, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by discoverCSG View Post
Thanks for the helpful information and advice, everyone.

I was able to find a solution to my challenge that involves storing my bag legally, with permission, far from the airport, in a way that isn't likely to cause anyone to be evacuated from anywhere, nor likely to result in theft. Since it doesn't apply to bag storage at LAX generally for AS passengers, I won't be more specific than that.
OP this feels pretty hypocritical to me. After taking up everyone’s time asking for solutions, you find a legal, safe way to store your bag off-airport, and you’re not willing to share?
Old Nov 11, 18, 9:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by dordal View Post

OP this feels pretty hypocritical to me. After taking up everyone’s time asking for solutions, you find a legal, safe way to store your bag off-airport, and you’re not willing to share?
It's not hard for me to imagine scenarios where OP got an offer that would simply not be extended to anyone and everyone who came knocking.
Old Nov 11, 18, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA *G, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s View Post
It's not hard for me to imagine scenarios where OP got an offer that would simply not be extended to anyone and everyone who came knocking.
Sure, then say that: ‘I talked to my friend in LA and he’s planning to hold onto my bag at his office.’

Maybe it’s just a tone thing, but the cloak and dagger ‘there’s a way to do this but I’m not going to tell you how’ rubs me the wrong way. Especially since people will Google this thread for years to come.
Eurynom0s and trooper like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: