Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Two awards (both operated by AS) - will QR interline bags?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

Thinking about booking

AA Award 1:
Segment 1: QR (QR outstation in Africa)
Segment 2: QR
Segment 3: AS

AS Award 2
Segment 4: AS

(I would book it as one AA award if AA's awesome website would allow me... and also it's 12,500 extra miles for the final segment vs 7,500 as a mileageplan award)

When I check in for my QR flight, what do you think are my chances getting bags checked in all the way to the final destination of segment 4?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Thinking about booking

AA Award 1:
Segment 1: QR (QR outstation in Africa)
Segment 2: QR
Segment 3: AS

AS Award 2
Segment 4: AS

(I would book it as one AA award if AA's awesome website would allow me... and also it's 12,500 extra miles for the final segment vs 7,500 as a mileageplan award)

When I check in for my QR flight, what do you think are my chances getting bags checked in all the way to the final destination of segment 4?
In Sept 2016 many, but not all, OW airlines stopped interlining on separate itineraries. QR did not, so may be possible.
But still plan on having to collect-check in. Anyway you may have to collect and present for immigration/customs formalities at a USA border.

notquiteaff likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
In Sept 2016 many, but not all, OW airlines stopped interlining on separate itineraries. QR did not, so may be possible.
But still plan on having to collect-check in. Anyway you may have to collect and present for immigration/customs formalities at a USA border.
Thanks. I will read through those threads. And yes, I would be collecting the bags for US customs after the second QR segment and then immediately hand them over the AS.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Thanks. I will read through those threads. And yes, I would be collecting the bags for US customs after the second QR segment and then immediately hand them over the AS.
This is where I'd try to get AS to retag your bags. What's the two AS segments?
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:30 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Originally Posted by beckoa
Agreed, since you have to interact with AS agents at the first point of entry I wouldn’t even bother trying to get QR to do it.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Originally Posted by tonei
Agreed, since you have to interact with AS agents at the first point of entry I wouldn’t even bother trying to get QR to do it.
Thanks, that is a good point. My past experience with rechecking bags is that you don’t actually have to interact with anyone, just put it on a recheck conveyor belt, bu5 this presumably wouldn’t preclude me from simply taking the bags to the actual AS checkin counter instead for retagging.

The port of entry is DFW (with a 3+ hrs connection) and the AS segments are DFW-SEA and SEA-RDM (the separate ticket; AA’s site always barfed up some generic error when trying to make SEA-RDM part of the 4-segment multi-city AA ... and it wouldn’t find it at all when trying to book it as a one-way).

So how about the other way around: first an AS award RDM-PDX and then an AA award starting out with an AS segment and two QR segments - will AS (QX) in RDM allow me to check through? Seems more likely, but will they also give me the QR business class weight allowance of 2x 70 lbs? (the weight question is more out of curiosity because I don’t think I will have that much...)

Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG
I'd call to book it as one award. Their website doesn't always show all available options, and it sounds like it's a valid routing. They'll waive the phone fee if it's not bookable online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.