Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Icelandair/WOW

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
Icelandair/WOW

Any idea if the Icelandair purchase of WOW (just announced) will lead to WOW recognition in the Alaska MP? They're going to retain independent branding and certificates.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Realistically even Alaska and Icelandair probably haven't even thought about this yet
jinglish, AS737 and icelandman2 like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
If its anything like LANTAM, give it a few years.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
My reaction is kinda “eh”. FI isn’t generous with AS miles on the earn side and redeeming for coach on a WW plane with tight pitch and carrier surcharge doesn’t exactly send tingles down my spine. Assuming they even do that (for an LCC they might well have good reason not to fully merge the carriers: you don’t earn AS miles on LEVEL even though they are owned by the same company that owns BA).
jinglish likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:49 am

Until the Icelandair - WOW combination has achieved shareholder and regulatory approval they will continue to operate as completely separate entities, which means any speculation about plans with respect to partner airline arrangements is premature.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
My reaction is kinda “eh”. FI isn’t generous with AS miles on the earn side and redeeming for coach on a WW plane with tight pitch and carrier surcharge doesn’t exactly send tingles down my spine. Assuming they even do that (for an LCC they might well have good reason not to fully merge the carriers: you don’t earn AS miles on LEVEL even though they are owned by the same company that owns BA).
Even more relevant example is DE and MT. Both budget airlines owned by the Thomas Cook Group, both serve AS hubs, but DE is an AS parter and MT is not. Hard to understand the rhyme or reason for some of these choices.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:53 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
I for one would love it. Wow flies nonstop from KEF to TLV. That would be an awesome way to get over with miles. I am really tired of BA's charge for seats.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ijkh
I for one would love it. Wow flies nonstop from KEF to TLV. That would be an awesome way to get over with miles. I am really tired of BA's charge for seats.
​​​​​​Boy, do I have some news for you about WOW.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijkh
You mean like how WOW Air charges for seats, just like BA? You don't even get carryon luggage on a WOW Basic fare- just a personal item like NK (so I hope you can pack for an overseas trip in a small 16x10x8 bag). Not sure FI wants to be giving that revenue up on WW flights just so people can redeem AS miles to go to TLV. Ancillary revenue on things like bags and seat assignments is hugely profitable for airlines like FR. I can't imagine it's any different for WW.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Not super concerned about mileage earning - if they offer it at all it'll be at 10% or so on the kind of fares you'd be flying WW on. Perhaps more interesting would be if we could know whether a post-merger WW would give access to the Sage Lounge at KEF...
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jinglish
​​​​​​Boy, do I have some news for you about WOW.
Does WOW have seats?
QT31415 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I think the better comparison is Cathay Pacific. Cathay is a partner but Cathay subsidiary DragonAir is fenced off.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I think it is way too early to worry about that. Today they say Iceland Air and WoW will operate separately (as separate brands). That could change down the road when they discover that the cost savings from simplification might be worth dropping one brand. Business plans change.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure, but who is to say FI won’t be the brand dropped instead of WW?

The highest margin airlines in operation are the FRs and NKs of the world that charge for EVERYTHING. AS and FI broke up once already...
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Sure, but who is to say FI won’t be the brand dropped instead of WW?
Yup, that is why I said “one brand” - it could certainly be either one. Basically I wouldn’t worry about it. It is status quo until it isn’t anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.