Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OAK or SJC a year from now

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Why all of the AS gloom and doom over WN's anticipated entry in to the Hawaii market? Am I the only one not surprised by the apparent delays in WN receiving ETOPS certification, suggesting fundamental safety concerns?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Didn't VX take a year longer than initially planned?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Another consideration: Amex Plats can use the lovely Escape Lounge in Oakland, while all Priority Pass customers can access The Club at SJC. I personally prefer the OAK lounge, but the SJC version of The Club is probably my favorite location in their network.
Interesting about The Club - I've never been in one, but I've got a trip coming up through PHX and saw it listed under PP lounges. Are you familiar with the one in PHX? How about LAS? (I think I read there's one in T-3, but way down the other end from the AS gates)?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by diver858
Why all of the AS gloom and doom over WN's anticipated entry in to the Hawaii market? Am I the only one not surprised by the apparent delays in WN receiving ETOPS certification, suggesting fundamental safety concerns?
Lots of little esoterica that can occur which has nothing to do with "fundamental safety."
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, so... do people think that Southwest will be successful flying to Hawaii? Their bread and butter seems to be flooding a market with frequent short hops. I'm not sure exactly what their clientele is, but I'm guessing that it's a split between people who use them A LOT for those short hops but wouldn't fly them for longer flights (I know lots of people like that... companion pass due to weekly Bay area - LA area round trips, but wouldn't take them transcon) and people who are super price sensitive (and Hawaii is not really the ideal vacation spot for the price sensitive).
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Interesting about The Club - I've never been in one, but I've got a trip coming up through PHX and saw it listed under PP lounges. Are you familiar with the one in PHX? How about LAS? (I think I read there's one in T-3, but way down the other end from the AS gates)?
AS is in T2 with United in PHX. AS paid F and AL Members access the United Lounge. There is an outdoor walkway between T2 & T3 airside. Not a quick jaunt. They CLUB & AS are not in the same terminal. Way down the other end from the AS Gates doesn't begin to cover it.

James
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
AS is in T2 with United in PHX. AS paid F and AL Members access the United Lounge. There is an outdoor walkway between T2 & T3 airside. Not a quick jaunt. They CLUB & AS are not in the same terminal. Way down the other end from the AS Gates doesn't begin to cover it.

James
I should have mentioned in PHX we're flying American, not AS.

And in LAS the Club lounge is not in T-3, or is it?

I think I confused you by mentioning 2 different airports, sorry.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I should have mentioned in PHX we're flying American, not AS.

I think I confused you by mentioning 2 different airports, sorry.
There is a Club Lounge in T3 @ LAS. That one is at the other end of a very long linear terminal from the AS Gates.

James
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:34 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
LAS has a Club in the E concourse, which I have not been to, and also the D concourse, which I have. The one in D is a tiny shoebox. The only reason to visit it IMO is if you are desperately in need of free caloric input (whether booze or cheap snacks).

The Club at SJC is relatively much larger and also has some seats with a reasonable view (though it is not any better in the food department except maybe before the ANA flight in the morning).

The only other Club that I've been to is at BWI, which is similarly tiny to LAS (but does at least have a view of the ramp). So in that regard...

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Another consideration: Amex Plats can use the lovely Escape Lounge in Oakland, while all Priority Pass customers can access The Club at SJC. I personally prefer the OAK lounge, but the SJC version of The Club is probably my favorite location in their network.
... I'd agree SJC is the best of the 3 Club locations I've been to, but if by "network" you meant PP in general then I think we'd have to add some qualifiers to that (i.e. only domestically, and considering actual lounge locations vs. the $28 restaurant credit)
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Ok, so... do people think that Southwest will be successful flying to Hawaii? Their bread and butter seems to be flooding a market with frequent short hops. I'm not sure exactly what their clientele is, but I'm guessing that it's a split between people who use them A LOT for those short hops but wouldn't fly them for longer flights (I know lots of people like that... companion pass due to weekly Bay area - LA area round trips, but wouldn't take them transcon) and people who are super price sensitive (and Hawaii is not really the ideal vacation spot for the price sensitive).
WN has done an effective job keeping their Koolaid drinkers, CP holders chomping at the bit, anxiously waiting a LONG TIME for Hawaii service, with high expectations for lower fares, plentiful WGA award availability, unicorns and mermaids. From this perspective, there will likely be some surge in initial, pent-up demand. As suggested, I too don't see SJC as their key leisure demographic long term, much in the way of O&D traffic to Hawaii, will be interesting to see if it will be sustainable - particularly with the vision of an early westbound departure, midday inter-island hops, evening eastbound return. Longer term, I could see WN switching to afternoon westbound flights, enabling connections, possibly red-eye returns.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I'm familiar with the PHX and both LAS locations. PHX has two different lounges, both adjacent, and I can only speak to the one lounge opened in the evening: it was very full and had a minimally acceptable seating area; The bar had a decent local beer, but was otherwise unremarkable. LAS has two locations; location a) is quite small and unremarkable, location b) (international terminal) was more comfortable with more food + beverage. None of the PHX or LAS lounges are as nice as SJC.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
AS paid F and AL Members access the United Lounge.
I thought only Alaska Lounge members could access partner lounges and paid F was limited to AL.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
For much of the year West Coast -> Hawaii is already very price-competitive. I'm skeptical that their no meals/no assigned seats is going to be successful over the long haul. And that's as a A-lister married to a CP-holder. Just like with transcons, WN is a less attractive option.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bbison
For much of the year West Coast -> Hawaii is already very price-competitive. I'm skeptical that their no meals/no assigned seats is going to be successful over the long haul. And that's as a A-lister married to a CP-holder. Just like with transcons, WN is a less attractive option.
Yeah, I was thinking this too. $199 each way is commonplace. $169 is not unheard of. Is WN going to be offering $149 regularly? Are people who are trying to save $20 really going to hawaii? You can save several hundred dollars by having your beach vacation in cabo.

With companion pass it's a bit (ok, a lot) more compelling. But I wonder how profitable 2-for-1 $150 tickets to hawaii are for the airline...
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
There is a Club Lounge in T3 @ LAS. That one is at the other end of a very long linear terminal from the AS Gates.

James

It's really not that long, especially if you use the moving walkways. Not much further from a given AS lounge to certain gates at SEA, PDX, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.