Wiki Posts
Search

Making gold at end of year

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k; Hyatt Plat
Making gold at end of year

My wife has been MVP Gold for a number of years. Being Anchorage based always made that easy. Unfortunately, we have now relocated to D.C. and have not had the same volume traveling this years as we typically do. My wife is planning to fly to PDX to see her family between Thanksgiving and Christmas. In doing so, we thought we would have her fly on a paid F fare on one leg to put her over the edge for Gold again. Unfortunately neither of us have ever had to crunch the numbers before and we aren't totally sure we did this quite right:

IAD - SEA: 2306 mi (R fare)
SEA - PDX: 500 mi (R fare)
PDX - SEA: 500 mi + 375 mi = 875 mi (P fare; includes 75% elite qualifying miles bonus)
SEA - BWI: 2335 mi + 1751 mi = 4086 mi (P fare; includes 75% elite qualifying miles bonus)
Total elite qualifying miles: 7,767

Can anyone verify our math? Sorry to ask what is a rather stupid question, but I want to make sure I understand this all correctly. Many thanks for the help!

** Edited: Error in math kindly pointed out by sergent

Last edited by germangreenmtboy; Nov 3, 2018 at 6:49 pm Reason: Error in math kindly pointed out by sergent
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by germangreenmtboy
SEA - BWI: 2335 mi + 1751 mi = 4961 mi (P fare; includes 75% elite qualifying miles bonus)
2335 + 1751 is 4086, not 4961? I think you double counted your 875.
Regardless it looks like your total is correct...
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k; Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by sergent
2335 + 1751 is 4086, not 4961? I think you double counted your 875.
Regardless it looks like your total is correct...
Thank you for the correction and verification. Much appreciated (and correct in OP).
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: AS
Looks good to me. The COS is one reason we fly P fares.
Eastbay1K and williwaw like this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by pcoll
Looks good to me. The COS is one reason we fly P fares.
Why I'm doing the same mańana so I can continue to enjoy another year of MSDS status and the opulent splendor of the AS F cabina!
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Plus, P fare gets access to the AL at PDX & SEA.

Hmmm, mnemonic P is for pancake printer...
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
On short flights that are less than 500 miles
what counts for qualifying miles? The 500 or the lesser amount?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by boycruz
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Just one heads up - be sure that the PDX-SEA leg is actually in a jet with a F cabin. If it is in a Q (which most of those flights still are) then you will need to look closely at what fare class that leg is actually booked in - it won't be P. In the best case it will code as a full Y fare and yield 150% but it might also book into a discount class and give no bonus. You can argue afterwards to get the added miles but YMMV. Been there; done that.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Plus, P fare gets access to the AL at PDX & SEA.

Hmmm, mnemonic P is for pancake printer...
And 2 pieces of checked baggage if you don't otherwise have a waiver.

James
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by boycruz
Unless you are flying Partner CX. You earn on the actual flight ditance, no 500 mile minimum. If you book a 50% EQM fare that is 400 miles you will get 200 EQM.

James
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Sorry to hijack a thread, but I checked and see that I'm very close to making MVPG this year. If I flew ANC-SEA-BOS RT it looks like I'd end up 28 miles short of 40k. Would I need to add something silly like a SEA-PDX flight to get over the hump or would Alaska bump me up to the next tier for being so close?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
You could ask but I wouldn't assume it will happen without asking. There's a decent chance if you are that close.

AS issues challenges for people who fall short. Sort of pointless to have a number to hit or challenges to get back to the missed status if you hand out the status anyway without actually hitting it and without anyone asking.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: AS 1MM/MVPG, AS Lounge, DL SkyClub (Life), Hertz 5* -- AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by cragAK
Sorry to hijack a thread, but I checked and see that I'm very close to making MVPG this year. If I flew ANC-SEA-BOS RT it looks like I'd end up 28 miles short of 40k. Would I need to add something silly like a SEA-PDX flight to get over the hump or would Alaska bump me up to the next tier for being so close?
This happened to me many (17?) years ago. At a Gold Lunch (remember those?) in Anchorage, I asked the head of the Mileage Plan what to do since I expected to be a few miles short of requalifying for Gold. She told me to 1) wait till close to end of year, and 2) write her a letter (I did say many years ago) to request renewal. I did this, and got my status renewed. As to what is today's equivalent to "write me a letter", I'm not sure. I hope you find the path.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by akdancer
This happened to me many (17?) years ago. At a Gold Lunch (remember those?) in Anchorage, I asked the head of the Mileage Plan what to do since I expected to be a few miles short of requalifying for Gold. She told me to 1) wait till close to end of year, and 2) write her a letter (I did say many years ago) to request renewal. I did this, and got my status renewed. As to what is today's equivalent to "write me a letter", I'm not sure. I hope you find the path.
I would try [email protected] and [email protected].

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.