Wiki Posts
Search

Seattle Runway Construction

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Gold 75K
Seattle Runway Construction

I've had a few flights recently from SFO to SEA where we've boarded and then been told, that due to Runway Construction we had a "wheels up" time about an hour later than planned.
My question--each time the pilots announce this just as we're ready to push back, as if it is an unexpected surprise. Are the one hour holds for runway construction really that last minute?

And yes, I know delays happen. And, I understand there may be reasons to board the plane at the scheduled time for gate management. But, iff Alaska knows the delays are coming, I'd appreciate at a minimum they let us know we'll be on the ground for an extra hour so I could buy some food or use the restroom.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sjbsf
I've had a few flights recently from SFO to SEA where we've boarded and then been told, that due to Runway Construction we had a "wheels up" time about an hour later than planned.
My question--each time the pilots announce this just as we're ready to push back, as if it is an unexpected surprise. Are the one hour holds for runway construction really that last minute?

And yes, I know delays happen. And, I understand there may be reasons to board the plane at the scheduled time for gate management. But, iff Alaska knows the delays are coming, I'd appreciate at a minimum they let us know we'll be on the ground for an extra hour so I could buy some food or use the restroom.
I think this happens a lot and I agree...if your know your wheels up time is pushed back an hour, there is no reason to sit at the gate or on the tarmac for an extra hour.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:58 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I think this happens a lot and I agree...if your know your wheels up time is pushed back an hour, there is no reason to sit at the gate or on the tarmac for an extra hour.
Yes there is. The hold is for an hour, but could be rescinded earlier and often is. If you don't have your plane loaded and ready to go then you can't take advantage of that earlier window. So you board the passengers and wait, knowing that 1 hr is the worst, but it could be earlier.

Neil
Flying for Fun and safari ari like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
The airline usually has an estimated wheels up before boarding starts.

One of the things I really miss about flying UA is that they used to publish the estimated takeoff time to GDS (accessible through ExpertFlyer, etc.), so I always had a good idea of whether my connection was shot or not. AS is considerably less transparent with this type of data.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sjbsf

A pilot told me per ATC they are unable to request a takeoff time until the door is closed. An ATC'er I trust said this is bunk.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
We had this happen to us on a Skywest E175 DAL-SEA with about an hour delay. I was up front and could hear the cockpit conversations. Pilots became aware of this delay shortly after boarding started. After everyone was boarded they made the decision to let everyone get off, even though they would have to re-board in about 20 minutes. It was a nice break and re-boarding went smoothly. Our wheels up time did stick to that time. We spent about 10 minutes in the penalty box before that time so it was held firm.

I have not had the ground stops if Seattle weather is perfect, but any periods of low ceilings during the day triggers the longer ground stops it appears. This is supposed to be wrapped up in December... not sure exactly when. I do see the work on the taxiway (forcing closure of the runway) being constant and making good progress, so I am hoping the pain ends sooner.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Imagine some of the reason they'd want to board and have you sit on the tarmac before takeoff vs in the airport is to clear up the gate for other departing or arriving flights. Given how folks have described AS' overly ambitious utilization of gates at SEA, I could see the option of holding boarding until closer to the ATC departure window only leading to further delays/cancellations of other flights.
jinglish likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Originally Posted by dmodemd
We had this happen to us on a Skywest E175 DAL-SEA with about an hour delay. I was up front and could hear the cockpit conversations. Pilots became aware of this delay shortly after boarding started. After everyone was boarded they made the decision to let everyone get off, even though they would have to re-board in about 20 minutes. It was a nice break and re-boarding went smoothly. Our wheels up time did stick to that time. We spent about 10 minutes in the penalty box before that time so it was held firm.

I have not had the ground stops if Seattle weather is perfect, but any periods of low ceilings during the day triggers the longer ground stops it appears. This is supposed to be wrapped up in December... not sure exactly when. I do see the work on the taxiway (forcing closure of the runway) being constant and making good progress, so I am hoping the pain ends sooner.
It surprises me that they let you guys de-board; gate utilization at DAL is pretty tight, and I routinely watch planes come in and wait in the alley for 13 or 15 to open up!

I have actually had ZERO delays in/out of Seattle so far this year. Maybe I'm just traveling during lulls in the daily traffic patterns. I hope it continues, because I booked a multi-airline connection there during the holidays. Which, as I type that, I now realize was a stoopid plan!
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Legend717

I have actually had ZERO delays in/out of Seattle so far this year. Maybe I'm just traveling during lulls in the daily traffic patterns. I hope it continues, because I booked a multi-airline connection there during the holidays. Which, as I type that, I now realize was a stoopid plan!
After a multi-hour delay last month (held on the ground at YVR) that caused me to miss an appointment and leave me sleep deprived for the rest of the week after getting to my destination at 2:00 am (yes, I'm getting too old for this s*%t), I'm steering clear of SEA until the runway construction is over and done with. I was going to book a YVR-SEA-DAL for later this month, but I just don't want to risk a delay and resulting lost connection.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:56 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
It happened to me today on a YVR-SEA flight. Boarded and was told our wheels up time was about 50 minutes from then due to SEA runway construction but we would taxi out and be ready to take off in the hope that we were given clearance to depart earlier. Sure enough, we ended up only waiting for about 5 minutes once we made it out to the runway. So I am all for boarding on time and then sitting on the tarmac, even if it is in that torture chamber known as the Q400. Worked out very well today.
Flying for Fun and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Finkface
It happened to me today on a YVR-SEA flight. Boarded and was told our wheels up time was about 50 minutes from then due to SEA runway construction but we would taxi out and be ready to take off in the hope that we were given clearance to depart earlier. Sure enough, we ended up only waiting for about 5 minutes once we made it out to the runway. So I am all for boarding on time and then sitting on the tarmac, even if it is in that torture chamber known as the Q400. Worked out very well today.
Was that the 06:00 am?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Received a notice that my Tuesday Horizon flight from PDX-SEA has been changed due to runway construction. Moved the PDX departure back from 8:00am to 7:45am and changed equipment from Q400 to E75.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
It surprises me that they let you guys de-board; gate utilization at DAL is pretty tight, and I routinely watch planes come in and wait in the alley for 13 or 15 to open up!
Yes! I was worried too but we already had a gate jumble due to a late arriving flight which sent them to 15. It did leave enough room at 13 though to absorb the one hour delay, amazingly.

If you are on a Q400 inbound to SEA, esp. later in the day or poor weather, your prospects are grim. E75s are borderline.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
The wheels up times usually come from clearance delivery or ground.

If they’re a short wheels up time (like the 10-15 minute delays that are normal on the shuttle routes), usually those are congestion and Seattle center/approach needs to meter the planes coming in to their airspace. Most planes are routed over Portland, Spokane and Vancouver to enter SEA Approach, and there is only so much sky for planes to go in.

I need to travel with you.

I’ve been delayed this year at SEA due to fog, construction, congestion, smoke, wind, sun, crew positioning, a swarm of locusts and clouds.

Last edited by tusphotog; Nov 3, 2018 at 12:36 pm
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by tusphotog
The wheels up times usually come from clearance delivery or ground.

If they’re a short wheels up time (like the 10-15 minute delays that are normal on the shuttle routes), usually those are congestion and Seattle center/approach needs to meter the planes coming in to their airspace. Most planes are routed over Portland, Spokane and Vancouver to enter SEA Approach, and there is only so much sky for planes to go in.

I need to travel with you.

I’ve been delayed this year at SEA due to fog, construction, congestion, smoke, wind, sun, crew positioning, a swarm of locusts and clouds.

I’d like a link to the ATC talking about the swarm of locusts, please.
tusphotog likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.