JAL "J" has all but disappeared

Old Nov 2, 18, 1:18 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Hawaii
Programs: AS 75K, HA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 77
JAL "J" has all but disappeared

Fly HNL to Asia a lot, track JAL biz awards daily. Usually a couple of J awards everyday 1-10 days out. As of Nov 1 they pretty much disappeared. Just like Sept 1, "U" availability all but disappeared on Alaska. Anybody heard about a reconfiguring of Mileage Plan no one told use about? Has Alaska's contract with JAL changed, like when Emirates awards went to 180,000.
thepinenuts is offline  
Old Nov 2, 18, 1:53 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 17,743
Originally Posted by thepinenuts View Post
Fly HNL to Asia a lot, track JAL biz awards daily. Usually a couple of J awards everyday 1-10 days out. As of Nov 1 they pretty much disappeared. Just like Sept 1, "U" availability all but disappeared on Alaska. Anybody heard about a reconfiguring of Mileage Plan no one told use about? Has Alaska's contract with JAL changed, like when Emirates awards went to 180,000.
What do BA, CX/AsiaMiles or QF say? JL award availability can be searched on those award engines. Or on AwardNexus.

Bit of overkill to start yelling about things like "OMG STEALTH DEVALUATION" all of 24ish hours into something without actually checking on other award engines, IMO. There are actual innocent explanations (like AS's or JL's award engine hiccupped, wouldn't be the first time.)

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 2, 18 at 2:01 pm
eponymous_coward is online now  
Old Nov 2, 18, 2:52 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SEA
Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Posts: 2,031
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
Bit of overkill to start yelling about things like "OMG STEALTH DEVALUATION" all of 24ish hours into something without actually checking on other award engines, IMO. There are actual innocent explanations (like AS's or JL's award engine hiccupped, wouldn't be the first time.)
Yep. When the EK devaluation happened, AS made a big deal of it, because zero-notice devaluations aren't a normal thing for them.
jinglish is offline  
Old Nov 2, 18, 5:12 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 17,743
FYI:




BA and AS are agreeing that YVR-NRT on January 18 has 5J availability (YVR-NRT usually has good JL J availability, so does SAN-NRT), which seems to preclude the possibility of some sort of blanket block on AS J redemptions on JL.

So maybe clarify what you're seeing? Are you searching at edge of schedule or something, on routes where things usually come open immediately? Out of LAX/SFO/JFK maybe?
eponymous_coward is online now  
Old Nov 2, 18, 5:24 pm
  #5  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Victoria, B.C.
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Posts: 1,699
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
What do BA, CX/AsiaMiles or QF say? JL award availability can be searched on those award engines. Or on AwardNexus.

Bit of overkill to start yelling about things like "OMG STEALTH DEVALUATION" all of 24ish hours into something without actually checking on other award engines, IMO. There are actual innocent explanations (like AS's or JL's award engine hiccupped, wouldn't be the first time.)
I think that the OP was talking about just HNL-Japan flights. I see that they are up today for a handful of dates the next 10 days from now.

Could have been a glitch? However, personally I don't mind when people see "unusual" activity and post it, as sometimes it IS an indicator of something on the horizon that is changing.
Manoa Chris likes this.
smilee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: