Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Lounge Passes - Transferable? (Yes, as of 3/2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Lounge Passes - Transferable? (Yes, as of 3/2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by jiburi
That's an odd post. Lounge membership is not affected. In fact, your lounge visit might actually be less crowded with this new policy. It doesn't make it worse. The new policy only affects people who are provided complimentary 4 visit lounge passes. The new policy will essentially make these free passes non-transferable.

Jiburi
Heh... We only fly business or first abroad, with lounge access. We will gift passes to ourselves when flying domestic flights. YMMV.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:43 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Chugach
This is beyond stupid.

Just watch...next up on the list is not allowing GGU’s to be used on friends and family not traveling with you.
Yeah, why are GGUs any different?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:26 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by TA
Yeah, why are GGUs any different?
Probably because the second "G" stands for "Guest."
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
If I did not have an AL membership the restrictions on the passes could possibly make some sense (maybe). But, as a 75k that is also an AL member this really is a downgrade. When I am traveling as a member I already can bring in guests. The value of those passes for me absolutely was the ability to let friends or family or even strangers I have met at the airport or on a flight be able to go to the lounge when I was not there. This seems to be not very well thought out!
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by ctporter
This seems to be not very well thought out!
Looks like we found AS' new marketing slogan!
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:59 am
TA

Originally Posted by dayone
Probably because the second "G" stands for "Guest."
You think an extra word in the name of something would make them declare "oh no those are totally off limits"?

All the observed usage, ineffective restrictions, and conditions that came with the lounge passes could equally be seen as issues with the GGUs if they chose to go that route.

If I were AS I would justify it by saying that oh, "Guest" refers to our guests who were given the upgrades to begin with.

Last edited by TA; Dec 4, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:22 pm

I just had it confirmed by my contact in Alaska PR:

Starting on 1/1/19, Alaska MVP 75Ks will need to be present in order to redeem their day passes.

The policy is outlined on the Mileage Plan elite benefits website. For reference, Mileage Plan provides plenty of ways for our elites to share their status with family and friends, such as gifting status or Gold Guest upgrades. 75K day passes are intended to be used by the 75K or guests traveling with the 75K.

Apparently the change isn't supposed to happen until January 1 -- so use those passes while you can!!
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:45 pm
TA

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
I just had it confirmed by my contact in Alaska PR:

Starting on 1/1/19, Alaska MVP 75Ks will need to be present in order to redeem their day passes.

The policy is outlined on the Mileage Plan elite benefits website. For reference, Mileage Plan provides plenty of ways for our elites to share their status with family and friends, such as gifting status or Gold Guest upgrades. 75K day passes are intended to be used by the 75K or guests traveling with the 75K.

Apparently the change isn't supposed to happen until January 1 -- so use those passes while you can!!
That's good to know but what about the conflicting reports from above suggesting that people are already being denied access if original holder isn't there?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:58 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
The policy is definitely in effect now.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
This is definitely one of the more lame-o moves I've seen AS make in awhile....
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by TA
That's good to know but what about the conflicting reports from above suggesting that people are already being denied access if original holder isn't there?
Originally Posted by missydarlin
The policy is definitely in effect now.
I've reached out to my contact. She was very clear that it was not to go into effect until 1/1/19. My guess would be miscommunication with the staff at the Lounge locations, but I'll report back what I hear.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:09 pm
TA

I'm not seeing nearly as much outrage on this topic as with the no-Asia-award-redemptions-within-72-hours issues earlier this year. Maybe people really don't care all that much, and this one will stick with AS not hearing huge objections.

Or, maybe people are already fed up with AS and not caring any more for that reason and defecting.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

Wow. So a Pass that I had planned to give to my brother this Christmas will now have to expire worthless. Just .. WOW.

To revive an old paraphrased thread, this is so South Of Expected.
Exactly what, if anything, ha AS done in the last few months that is not way south of expected? AS is on a one horse "race to the bottom" all by themselves. The AL's have been pitiful for years and AS has no plans to stop downgrading them. The food and snack options are horrible and the liquor continues to be supplied by a spice company (MacCormicks). The lounges are run down and dreary with no plans far any remodels.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:48 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
If this devaluation were made for day passes ISSUED after 1/1/19, it would be fair. Still not good business, but fair.

Devaluing passes issued in the past is a partial take-back of the gift.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by TA
Or, maybe people are already fed up with AS and not caring any more for that reason and defecting.
DING, DING, DING We have a winner here. For anyone outside of captive markets (ANC, FAI) and somewhat the former fortresses (SEA, PDX) AS is giving little reason to stay loyal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.