Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Lounge Passes - Transferable? (Yes, as of 3/2019)

Alaska Lounge Passes - Transferable? (Yes, as of 3/2019)

Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
The way back machine shows clearly, this is more of the bait and switch.

bait-and-switch
noun
  1. the action (generally illegal) of advertising goods that are an apparent bargain, with the intention of substituting inferior or more expensive goods.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Ridiculous
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DaWhirledTraveller
It looks like a policy change, when looking at elite benefits at the airport. Checked the wayback machine - it wasn't there last year.

Wording from 2018

Wording from 2017
What time frame are you comparing? Jan 2017 with Jan 2018? Can you determine when the policy actually changed? Was it in January, june, or last week?

I ask because we have given away all our Lounge Passes this year to friends and family when we were not traveling, without any issue, yet you are saying the "new" policy is applicable in 2018.

James

EDIT: Updated to reflect Lounge Passes where I earlier had erroneously written GGUs.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Dec 1, 2018 at 12:11 am
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
What time frame are you comparing? Jan 2017 with Jan 2018? Can you determine when the policy actually changed? Was it in January, june, or last week?

I ask because we have given away all our GGUs this year to friends and family when we were not traveling, without any issue, yet you are saying the "new" policy is applicable in 2018.

James
The change is referring to lounge passes, not GGU’s. I think this must be a very recent change, as you probably suspect
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Finkface
The change is referring to lounge passes, not GGUs. I think this must be a very recent change, as you probably suspect
My apologies, I said GGUs when I meant Lounge Passes. I fixed my original post. Thanks for pointing that out.

James
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: AA ex-EXP LT PLT, AS 75K, B6 Mosaic, HH D, Hyatt Globalist
I was able to look at the 13 captures it has for 2018 and 18 captures for 2017, It looks like the website change happened after 13 Nov 2018, but before 21 Nov 2018.

However, the caveat we all know, is the website update doesn't necessarily correspond to when policy changes took effect.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by DaWhirledTraveller
I was able to look at the 13 captures it has for 2018 and 18 captures for 2017, It looks like the website change happened after 13 Nov 2018, but before 21 Nov 2018.

However, the caveat we all know, is the website update doesn't necessarily correspond to when policy changes took effect.
That would make sense as I used gifted lounge passes with no problem on Nov. 3.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:18 am

Apparently the policy is in effect. What in the world is Alaska thinking? This really saves the company zero dollars. If anything the ability to gift helps create loyalty -- not just for the 75Ks, but for those that use the passes.

jinglish likes this.

Last edited by Single_Flyer; Dec 3, 2018 at 3:10 pm
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:27 am

Hi -

Wow. So a Pass that I had planned to give to my brother this Christmas will now have to expire worthless. Just .. WOW.

To revive an old paraphrased thread, this is so South Of Expected.
nsx, jinglish and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
This makes it an easy decision not to renew my lounge membership expiring Dec 31.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by Fredd
This makes it an easy decision not to renew my lounge membership expiring Dec 31.
That's an odd post. Lounge membership is not affected. In fact, your lounge visit might actually be less crowded with this new policy. It doesn't make it worse. The new policy only affects people who are provided complimentary 4 visit lounge passes. The new policy will essentially make these free passes non-transferable.

Jiburi
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by jiburi
That's an odd post. Lounge membership is not affected. In fact, your lounge visit might actually be less crowded with this new policy. It doesn't make it worse. The new policy only affects people who are provided complimentary 4 visit lounge passes. The new policy will essentially make these free passes non-transferable.

Jiburi
Yes, but if you have lounge access with guest privileges when are you going to use the passes? It is a benefit with little usefulness. It was nice to provide them to family or friends when not traveling with you.

James
milypan, ctporter and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:08 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I received 4 MVP75K lounge passes in March 2018. They expire at the end of 2019. I have been saving them this year, with the plan to gift them to a family member traveling with a companion in June 2019. Will Alaska grandfather my old lounge passes?

The answer may not make a practical difference since my family member has a Priority Pass, but changing the rules on using a gift after giving it more than negates any goodwill earned by the gift. Edited to add: This change is a partial retraction of the gift.

I have always rated Alaska at or near the top in FT awards, but I think Alaska is abdicating to Southwest, now alone at the top in respect for customers, and perhaps even United.

Last edited by nsx; Dec 4, 2018 at 12:16 pm
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
I received 4 MVP75K lounge passes in March 2018. They expire at the end of 2019. I have been saving them this year, with the plan to gift them to a family member traveling with a companion in June 2019. Will Alaska grandfather my old lounge passes?

The answer may not make a practical difference since my family member has a Priority Pass, but changing the rules on using a gift after giving it more than negates any goodwill earned by the gift.

I have always rated Alaska at or near the top in FT awards, but I think Alaska is abdicating to Southwest, now alone at the top in respect for customers, and perhaps even United.
As of now, they are not grandfathered in (based on reports I have heard and response from Alaska's Twitter). Also remember that Priority Pass no longer works at Alaska Lounges in Seattle.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
This is beyond stupid.

Just watch...next up on the list is not allowing GGU’s to be used on friends and family not traveling with you.
rustykettel likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.