Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Lounge Passes - Transferable? (Yes, as of 3/2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Lounge Passes - Transferable? (Yes, as of 3/2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by pipeliner
Are we all talking about the free passes that 75Ks get? Or the ones that Boardroom members can buy for family or friends? I think there probably is a difference. I am just Gold, but maintain a Boardroom membership, so I sometimes buy day passes for my wife, if I'm not traveling with her, or for friends that I'm not traveling with. I have just been introduced to the new process, which is electronic, rather than the paper passes, and are now only good for 3 months before they expire.
I'm referring to G75K AL Guest Passes
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
Originally Posted by beckoa
I'm referring to G75K AL Guest Passes
yup i was denied using my partners g75K AL guest passes at JfK earlier this year
Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by boycruz
yup i was denied using my partners g75K AL guest passes at JfK earlier this year
Same situation for me last week only at PDX...to be fair, the No Priority Pass sign was out (as usual), but the signs make no mention of not accepting 75K guest passes....AS is really going overboard to try and keep as many people out of their lounges as possible....weird.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
How odd, recently I asked the attendants in the AS Lounge (N lounge at SEA) about how I could give one of my codes to a stranded passenger, and they told me that I did not even have to give her one of my codes, just my MP number and they could look me up and use one of my codes for her. I specifically asked as I could not see the access codes on my phone.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctporter
How odd, recently I asked the attendants in the AS Lounge (N lounge at SEA) about how I could give one of my codes to a stranded passenger, and they told me that I did not even have to give her one of my codes, just my MP number and they could look me up and use one of my codes for her. I specifically asked as I could not see the access codes on my phone.
I don't understand why they can't just use the electronic code without the MP #....if you give someone a GGU, they don't need to enter your MP # in order to use it. There seems to be some sort of mis-communication (understanding?) about what information is really needed in order to use the lounge codes...some say just the name, some say the birthday, some say MP #, or any combination of the three.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
The War on Nice

While it’s been touched-on a little bit here I wasn’t aware until just today that giving someone an MVP75 lounge pass is officially banned as of 1 January 2019.

A boardroom rep told me today that the only way passes can be used is if the account holder is present: this really is a War on Nice.

Im not just thinking of my wife and son who have occasionally used one of my passes, but the teachers and clergymen I’m give one to use.

AS, please rethink this policy.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BillScann
While it’s been touched-on a little bit here I wasn’t aware until just today that giving someone an MVP75 lounge pass is officially banned as of 1 January 2019.

A boardroom rep told me today that the only way passes can be used is if the account holder is present: this really is a War on Nice.

Im not just thinking of my wife and son who have occasionally used one of my passes, but the teachers and clergymen I’m give one to use.

AS, please rethink this policy.
The AS Lounges have been going to great lengths to limit lounge access since the whole Priority Pass fiasco started a year or two ago....it's disappointing, but I suppose this is the logical next step into making their lounges more "exclusive"....hopefully it works out for them and the few people that still have access when the dust settles.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, from the OP in the war on nice thread, it sounds like this will all soon be a moot point if lounge passes can no longer be transferred as of Jan. 1st.....I really hope I'm wrong, my guess is that GGUs will only be able to be used if the passenger who donated the GGU is on the same reservation....bummer.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by boycruz
Originally Posted by PDXPremier

Same situation for me last week only at PDX...to be fair, the No Priority Pass sign was out (as usual), but the signs make no mention of not accepting 75K guest passes....AS is really going overboard to try and keep as many people out of their lounges as possible....weird.
Wonder if this is a policy change, or misunderstanding?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
I hope they rethink this. For gold 75K who have lounge membership, it makes the day passes worthless. If they were traveling with me, I could already guest them in under my membership. They were a nice perk to give away to family members who were traveling at separate times or from different airports
Eastbay1K, Red L, DrAlex and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: AS, SQ, SPG, IHG
Ridiculous. I never get to any airport in time to use a lounge and rarely have connection times on AS where I even consider using the lounge. They were nice to give away to friends stranded at LAX. The benefit would now be nearly worthless to me.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: AA ex-EXP LT PLT, AS 75K, B6 Mosaic, HH D, Hyatt Globalist
It looks like a policy change, when looking at elite benefits at the airport. Checked the wayback machine - it wasn't there last year.

Wording from Alaska Website on 30 Nov 2018

Wording from Wayback machine 17 Jul 2018

Last edited by DaWhirledTraveller; Dec 2, 2018 at 12:43 am Reason: Added dates for images.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
This was a nice treat for family members not traveling with me.

I''d not be surprised if the policy change was to combat sale/fraud, but there's got to be a better way.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Do the companions need to be on the same reservation or just accompanied by the 75K under this new policy?

If you can’t give them to family or friends, it makes lounge membership for 75K’s a little less valuable. Unless you have more than 10 person/visits per year (ex 1 person ten visits, 2 persons five visits, etc), you might as well just purchase day pases and use the complimentary ones.

ETA: AL members used to be able to purchase day passes for people not traveling with them. Wonder if that will be changed also.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
This is a confusing change. The lounge passes are a finite resource distributed to a (very) small portion of those who fly AS. It's not some unlimited-entry scheme like Priority Pass. If a 75k gives a lounge pass away, the 75k member does't get to use it, so it's not like it increased lounge use by any measurable amount.
EmailKid likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.