Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Supplemental Boarding Processing (With iPad)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM

Just boarded in Boise. According to the gate agent they now have to scroll through the manifest list on the iPad to mark a person boarded. No scanning devices or tickets. All gate agent touch screen glory. I will see how the rest of the boarding process go tonight. Wanted to see if the rest of the community has experienced this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: AS, SQ, SPG, IHG
I experienced this happening at IAD a few days ago but chalked it up to the boarding pass scanner glitching. This at least hasn't seemed to roll out to SEA yet--will keep you posted on my travels.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Flew JNU-SEA-PDX yesterday and there was none of this, in either Juneau or Seattle.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
If they don't use tickets do they ask for your ID? Or are you saying they just look at the tickets but don't scan them? Just wondering how they tell you're the one who is supposed to be getting on the flight.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
I've seen them using the iPad for boarding before, but they were able to use the camera to scan boarding passes. I overheard the GA talking to someone from IT about how much better/easier it was to use. Imagine they're piloting some way to use these, but seems like scrolling to find each pax would take longer than scanning the old way?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
Luckily it was only the Boise flight that used the iPad. Yep, this agent was manually scrolling and selecting each passenger. If I see it agian I’ll be sure to report back.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
This is akin to having folks bag their own groceries in their weirdly shaped canvas bags etc, it will gum up the process and make things take a long time. Then again, I've been proven wrong on more than one occasion.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
They used the iPad on a flight I was taking from SEA to DCA but the camera was scanning the boarding pass. Perhaps there was a problem with the camera and they had to do it manually. Haven't had this on any other flights I have taken this past month.
missamo80 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:35 am

I wonder if this is somehow related to the (new, much slower) TSA machines. You don't hand the TSA agent a boarding pass at those machines. Instead, you hand them your ID and they run it through some system that searches for you and your flight. It's possible we're moving towards a boarding pass-free environment.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I can't imagine scrolling through a list on an iPad is faster than scanning the ticket/phone. I mean, even with the iPad they must be looking at the ticket to confirm right?

Manually reading the ticket, then looking up the pax, can't be faster than scanning. Even if quite a few people do have challenges scanning their digital boarding pass properly.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Fastest scanning I have seen is with Southwest where they have a camera pointed down and they just hold the BP several inches under it and it picks it up very quickly. The Alaska scanners have always been a little temperamental.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:22 pm

There’s very little passenger impact to slowing boarding at the top of the jetway. It simply shifts the back up from the aisle and jetway to the gate area.
jinglish likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I had this at ORD when they borrowed a gate from Spirit. Really slowed down the process.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by dmodemd
Fastest scanning I have seen is with Southwest where they have a camera pointed down and they just hold the BP several inches under it and it picks it up very quickly. The Alaska scanners have always been a little temperamental.
I've always found the Alaska scanners easier and quicker than Southwest. With Alaska it forces you to put your phone in the proper position; with Southwest you guess at where it should go below the scanner and move it around until it registers.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, BAEC, SPG, Global Entry
The gate agents were using iPads at KOA on Sunday night. At the time I thought they must have experienced a computer glitch and were using a backup method, which would have been fine. If it's a new way of doing things ... wow. It's pretty clunky, and it's going to make the C gates at SEA even worse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.