OAK/PDX Reduced to 2X/Day (November 2018)

Old Oct 29, 18, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
OAK/PDX Reduced to 2X/Day (November 2018)

That is a shocker. I had no idea how much the OAK station is being decimated. And the 2x/day in the fall are afternoon/evening - you can't even get to PDX in the AM. Looks like the West Coast Most stock ticker is spelled LUV.
Old Oct 29, 18, 10:53 pm

Last winter it went to 2x daily, but that was with 737s because of the pilot shortage, and they at least kept the more useful early and late flights, instead of mid day and evening. Hopefully it'll go back to 3x daily as scheduled in March. I hold out a tiny bit of hope that at some point they'll finally attempt to compete at OAK, to offer anything else, but they appear pretty firmly committed to being an SFO/SJC-only airline (despite the inexplicable Oakland-specific advertising).
Old Oct 29, 18, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
SEA-LAS is twice a day on WN some days. SEA-PHX isn’t all that either on WN, 3x some days. I’d say the fiefdoms are being carved up.
Old Oct 29, 18, 11:00 pm

Meanwhile, WN is going to 7x daily on the route
Old Oct 30, 18, 12:25 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Lifetime United Club stolen by Oscar “The Grouch” Munoz on 11.11.19
Both airlines serve their customers. As AS grows at SFO there is less need for people from
OAK to connect in PDX.
MagicCarpetRider likes this.
Old Oct 30, 18, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer View Post
Both airlines serve their customers. As AS grows at SFO there is less need for people from
OAK to connect in PDX.
Um no. That doesn't make sense. We don't want to go to SFO. There is also apparently plenty of OD if WN is at 7 a day.
tusphotog likes this.
Old Oct 30, 18, 12:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer View Post
Both airlines serve their customers. As AS grows at SFO there is less need for people from OAK to connect in PDX.
Not exactly. The problem is that WN offers so much frequency ex-OAK, it's really difficult for anyone to compete with them. They've already chased DL off of OAK-LAX.
Old Oct 30, 18, 1:36 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
That is a shocker. I had no idea how much the OAK station is being decimated. And the 2x/day in the fall are afternoon/evening - you can't even get to PDX in the AM. Looks like the West Coast Most stock ticker is spelled LUV.
Still beats the UA frequencies for OAK-LAX or OAK-DEN...
Old Oct 30, 18, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
SEA-LAS is twice a day on WN some days. SEA-PHX isn’t all that either on WN, 3x some days. I’d say the fiefdoms are being carved up.
+this

this intra-west coast war is going to come to close at some point. Both sides are going to shrink on their loosing battles.
Old Oct 30, 18, 11:08 am

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
All airlines are being very careful with excess capacity. If the bookings don't support a flight at a particular time, then that flight is removed from the schedule. I guess OAK-PDX is one of those markets for AS (but perhaps not for WN). The OP can write an email to AS,.if they would like to complain.
Old Oct 30, 18, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
All airlines are being very careful with excess capacity. If the bookings don't support a flight at a particular time, then that flight is removed from the schedule. I guess OAK-PDX is one of those markets for AS (but perhaps not for WN). The OP can write an email to AS,.if they would like to complain.
"They" is he, and complaining doesn't do anything. I was just really surprised that the route is a sad shadow of its former self, and it is another example of how many Bay Area folks are not able to patronize the "West Coast Most" airline very conveniently anymore, notwithstanding advertising to the contrary.
Old Oct 30, 18, 11:41 am

For people who want an alternative to WN as AS continues to ignore OAK, JetSuiteX is continuing to grow, now flying to BUR, SNA, LAS and RNO.
Old Oct 30, 18, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by ucdtim17 View Post
For people who want an alternative to WN as AS continues to ignore OAK, JetSuiteX is continuing to grow, now flying to BUR, SNA, LAS and RNO.
JetSuiteX also serves CCR for those who live out that way. There's free parking at CCR too.

AS has also dropped the evening SEA-OAK's as well. Starting around March 10, the last SEA-OAK leaves at 3:35 PM. There used to be a 7:00 pm and 9:30 pm or so.
milypan and FlyingBear like this.
Old Oct 30, 18, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ucdtim17 View Post
Yes. Took it once. Other than the hassle of getting the B6 points to post, loved it.
Old Oct 30, 18, 7:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Last winter it was 2 a day, but there was an early AM and a later PM flight. Southwest owns the route, it's just that simple.

Search this Thread