Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with all those GGU's?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I was reading thru this thread while I was on hold ... once I explained it to the agent she was able to straighten things out in less than 5 more minutes
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:06 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I'm asking for a family member. His Gold status expires on 12/31/2018, but he has two GGUs that expire on 12/31/2019. Will the GGUs remain in his account and be usable by him 2019?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
I'm asking for a family member. His Gold status expires on 12/31/2018, but he has two GGUs that expire on 12/31/2019. Will the GGUs remain in his account and be usable by him 2019?
Yes! They are gold guest upgrade certificates. They can be used by him or gifted to anyone regardless of status. Without Gold or 75K, however, he won't be able to change the itinerary without the $125 change/cancel fee outside 24 hours.

James
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
The GGU fairy smiled down on me. U opened SEA-BOS on a purchased trip. Website didn’t want to offer an upfare option but a live agent was able to make it go through.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by rustykettel
The GGU fairy smiled down on me. U opened SEA-BOS on a purchased trip. Website didn’t want to offer an upfare option but a live agent was able to make it go through.
I've definitely noticed the scattered increase in U space (and A as well). I wonder if they noticed increased complaints or a downturn in revenue (e.g., Elites buying cheapest available since U wasn't there). Seems your behavior is just like mine -- willing to pay up on a competitive route if there's U. But I'm not about to pay more than I have to if U isn't available.
BW Flyer likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
U space is hard to come by these days on the SEA-ANC route.... ��
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
just scored BOS-SAN on a Sunday evening in early Feb ... although I’m still tempted to rebook in P for the COS bonus
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
just scored BOS-SAN on a Sunday evening in early Feb ... although I’m still tempted to rebook in P for the COS bonus
If the P fare is more than 75% higher than the eligible fare you paid to use your GGU with you are paying a premium for all your EQM. Will time be of the essence in February and beyond for you or could you optimize future itineraries to gain additional EQM more cost effectively? There is no lounge in BOS or SAN to take advantage of either.

James
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well, Professor, I’ll be in DC for work the previous week; booked DCA-BOS on AS miles (which I may switch to a cash fare, or B6, or even Amtrak) to attend an alumni conference in Boston, and need to have a reasonably priced return for expense reimbursement purposes ... no U space on the nonstop BOS-SEA, don’t want to play UG roulette that evening, don’t care about F for the morning trip, and don’t care about a lounge

and it’s early in the year, so there’s plenty of time to find that ~2000 EQM that I’m passing up to use the GGU
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by BW Flyer
U space is hard to come by these days on the SEA-ANC route.... ��
Impossible might be more descriptive, at least for next summer.
BW Flyer likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by channa
Seems your behavior is just like mine -- willing to pay up on a competitive route if there's U. But I'm not about to pay more than I have to if U isn't available.
The return opened up at around T-5d, but K is around $200 now. I’m will to pay extra for K but not that much, so AS will either sell it to someone else or lose the revenue. Not willing to pay for K on speculation either.

Unfortunately, in order to upfare my outbound the agent says she needed to remove me from the waitlists for the entire ticket and then rewaitlist me after upfaring, even for the return not being upfared. I don’t believe that’s correct but I really didn’t expect additional U to open in advance either so didn’t push it. Lightly loaded flight at this point. Looks like a good chance if I don’t get upgraded, I might get a poorman’s lie flat as a consolation prize.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by rustykettel

The return opened up at around T-5d, but K is around $200 now. I’m will to pay extra for K but not that much, so AS will either sell it to someone else or lose the revenue. Not willing to pay for K on speculation either.

Unfortunately, in order to upfare my outbound the agent says she needed to remove me from the waitlists for the entire ticket and then rewaitlist me after upfaring, even for the return not being upfared. I don’t believe that’s correct but I really didn’t expect additional U to open in advance either so didn’t push it. Lightly loaded flight at this point. Looks like a good chance if I don’t get upgraded, I might get a poorman’s lie flat as a consolation prize.
Surely there's an easier way? Who has time to check all their pending itineraries for open U space? Especially since Gogo inflight is so sucky and leisure internet time is so sparse? I taught my husband how to do it so now I've got more coverage, but it shouldn't be this way. Still have 10 GGU to go....
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by QT31415
Surely there's an easier way? Who has time to check all their pending itineraries for open U space?
www.expertflyer.com
pbelmore likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by QT31415
Still have 10 GGU to go....
How is that (10 GGUs)? We don't seem to have too much difficulty putting them to good use out of SAN.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by diver858
How is that (10 GGUs)? We don't seem to have too much difficulty putting them to good use out of SAN.
Maybe it's just SEA - between the two of us, we had 24 last year, and since we usually buy the "cheap" seats and hope for 75k upgrades, these GGU go unused. Like many on here, I'm not going to pay for a U class when there's no U availability at time of booking. Surely Alaska is going to figure that out someday?
jjmadison likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.