FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   What to do with all those GGU's? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1937867-what-do-all-those-ggus.html)

Flying for Fun Oct 31, 2018 10:34 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30377284)
Really? I'm an MVP (not gold) and when I tried to upfare to P on the website (same flight) it was trying to charge me $125 + fare difference.

I asked about it here (different thread) and was told that the fee was only waived if it was an upfare to F

Is this something where you have to call in and ask for it? Because the website doesn't respect this rule automatically.

You are trying to upgrade to the F cabin. As per the information I have, there is no change fee if the ticket is upfared within the same cabin. A Y upfare in Y is not a change while a Y upfare to the F cabin is. In essence, you are exchanging your Y ticket for an F ticket. I specifically asked if an MVP wanted to upfare to apply a GGU would it trigger a change fee. The answer was No!

James

be_rettSEA Oct 31, 2018 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 30377431)
You are trying to upgrade to the F cabin. As per the information I have, there is no change fee if the ticket is upfared within the same cabin. A Y upfare in Y is not a change while a Y upfare to the F cabin is. In essence, you are exchanging your Y ticket for an F ticket. I specifically asked if an MVP wanted to upfare to apply a GGU would it trigger a change fee. The answer was No!

James

There is another thread active right now, where it was confirmed that only upfares to F (fare, not cabin, so excluding P fares, etc) waive the change fees.

VegasGambler Oct 31, 2018 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 30377431)

James

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

What if you want to upfare within the same cabin, not for the purposes of redeeming a GGU? For example, to get the EQM bonus? Also waived?

It's sounding like the ONLY same-flight upfare that generates a fee is to P? (since for F it's waived; that's right in the fare rules)

Flying for Fun Oct 31, 2018 11:17 am

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA (Post 30377445)
There is another thread active right now, where it was confirmed that only upfares to F (fare, not cabin, so excluding P fares, etc) waive the change fees.

Yes, I understand that. I was explaining to the poster that, in his situation, a change fee would apply beause he wanted to upfare from his economy ticket to a P bucket first class ticket, a change of "cabin." In the case of upfaring for an MVP to attach a GGU to an economy ticket a change fee is not applicable as long as the date, time, flight & cabin, remain the same.

James

eponymous_coward Oct 31, 2018 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 30377600)
Yes, I understand that. I was explaining to the poster that, in his situation, a change fee would apply beause he wanted to upfare from his economy ticket to a P bucket first class ticket, a change of "cabin." In the case of upfaring for an MVP to attach a GGU to an economy ticket a change fee is not applicable as long as the date, time, flight & cabin, remain the same.

James

So if I want to pay $200 extra to upfare a Y fare to P, there's a $125 fee, but if I want to pay $100 extra to upfare the exact same fare to a GGU-eligible fare and apply a GGU when U is available, and get the exact same F seat, there's no fee?

(Since G/T/R are almost always low fares, it's a sucker bet that a P fare is MORE than a GGU-eligible fare like V.)

Way to do logical revenue management, AS. Protip: your lounge pancakes aren't THAT good. Second protip: LET PEOPLE GIVE YOU MORE MONEY AND DON'T PENALIZE THEM FOR WANTING TO ACTUALLY BUY FIRST CLASS TICKETS.

:rolleyes:

Flying for Fun Oct 31, 2018 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 30377923)
So if I want to pay $200 extra to upfare a Y fare to P, there's a $125 fee, but if I want to pay $100 extra to upfare the exact same fare to a GGU-eligible fare and apply a GGU when U is available, and get the exact same F seat, there's no fee?

(Since G/T/R are almost always low fares, it's a sucker bet that a P fare is MORE than a GGU-eligible fare like V.)

Way to do logical revenue management, AS. Protip: your lounge pancakes aren't THAT good. Second protip: LET PEOPLE GIVE YOU MORE MONEY AND DON'T PENALIZE THEM FOR WANTING TO ACTUALLY BUY FIRST CLASS TICKETS.

:rolleyes:

You can buy First class fares without a change fee, just not discounted ones. ;)

James

eponymous_coward Oct 31, 2018 7:46 pm

You’re not getting it. You can change from an inexpensive discounted coach fare to a somewhat more expensive discounted coach fare with no fee, and be able to apply an upgrade, but an even more expensive discounted first class fare, please pay a fee. You are penalized if you want to spend MORE money (not that AS has much U space any more anyways).

All it needs is the Guinness ad going “brilliant”.

NoLaGent Oct 31, 2018 7:52 pm

This is where UA actually does something right. Upfaring into their F cabin, regardless of F fare type, is done without fee following the rules of GGBUYUP.

VegasGambler Oct 31, 2018 9:01 pm

Yeah, VX had that right, too.

platinumorwhat Oct 31, 2018 10:23 pm

can someone explain to me how this makes sense? imgur com/a/RAJqxTC

Idaho Territory Oct 31, 2018 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by platinumorwhat (Post 30379560)
can someone explain to me how this makes sense? imgur com/a/RAJqxTC

The first class that you are seeing is for a “P” discount first fare. The buy ups are for Y,M,B,H... Those Y fares are still lower than full F. It just doesn’t look that way to the average consumer. Now what’s the inflight difference between F and P? Nada.

Flying for Fun Oct 31, 2018 11:27 pm

The provision might be there to prevent customers without a waiver from upfaring to a discounted first class fare when it is less than the GGU eligible economy fare. That does happen. It also allows for some control & competitiveness on F fares without the worry they will be eaten up by upfaring.

James

platinumorwhat Nov 1, 2018 1:03 pm

If i travel with a companion and bought tickets together under 1 iternery numb, even my ticket won't be eligible for first class upgrade waitlist?

Finkface Nov 1, 2018 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by platinumorwhat (Post 30382056)
If i travel with a companion and bought tickets together under 1 iternery numb, even my ticket won't be eligible for first class upgrade waitlist?

More info would help. Your status? Your companion’s status?

Your profile doesn’t say what status you have, if any. I am going to assume that your companion does not have status based on your post. If you are MVP Gold/75k, then yes, you will both be eligible based on your status. If basic MVP, then no, you will not be put on the upgrade list with another person on your PNR.

eponymous_coward Nov 1, 2018 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 30379669)
The provision might be there to prevent customers without a waiver from upfaring to a discounted first class fare when it is less than the GGU eligible economy fare. That does happen.

GGU eligible fares are "everything but G/T/R" (K being the lowest GGU eligible fare per the fare hierarchy at AS). There aren't a lot of cases where K fares > P fares (I'd be interested to see a case of one, to be honest, because it would make for a sort of status/mileage run, since you'd be getting full F EQM/RDM COS bonuses AND Alaska Lounge Access AND an F seat, at a very mild premium to AS's lowest fare buckets, cheaper than using a GGU).

Y/B/M > P, sure. K not so much. That's why I think that's wacky and counterproductive to revenue management that sells the F cabin away from elite upgrades (as long as you're yanking U from 90% of the usual places you find it); if you want to upsell people to F, ferchrissake, don't charge them $125 to do it on top of the upfare. I mean, really, I get upfare offers on DL award tickets as a Delta Dirt.