Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with all those GGU's?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I have an event near SEA next August, so I checked fares and GGU opportunities. Not only are most of the GGU fares that day $199, but there's not a single U seat to be found. (I wasn't expecting any big fare sale for flights that far out ... but )
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I have an event near SEA next August, so I checked fares and GGU opportunities. Not only are most of the GGU fares that day $199, but there's not a single U seat to be found. (I wasn't expecting any big fare sale for flights that far out ... but )
It doesn't always make sense to use a GGU on short-haul competitive (inexpensive) markets such as the Bay Area to/from SEA/PHX. Often you will see the cheapest GGU eligible fare is more than the discount First fare (P). In those cases, I would just buy the P fare outright.

Unfortunately, with a companion certificate, you can't purchase the cheaper (P) fare. At least with the companion certificate you only need to upfare one ticket as the other is $99 Base fare or $0 depending on your certificate, regardless of fare purchased by the primary.

I am seeing more U space availability, at least three months out in early March in random searches including EWR to/from SFO.

James
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It doesn't always make sense to use a GGU on short-haul competitive (inexpensive) markets such as the Bay Area to/from SEA/PHX. Often you will see the cheapest GGU eligible fare is more than the discount First fare (P). In those cases, I would just buy the P fare outright.

Unfortunately, with a companion certificate, you can't purchase the cheaper (P) fare. At least with the companion certificate you only need to upfare one ticket as the other is $99 Base fare or $0 depending on your certificate, regardless of fare purchased by the primary.

I am seeing more U space availability, at least three months out in early March in random searches including EWR to/from SFO.

James
The cheapest F fares are $499! I was just checking to see if anything was worthwhile before the GGUs expire.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The cheapest F fares are $499! I was just checking to see if anything was worthwhile before the GGUs expire.
Plans change, whY not use them now?

James
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: Gold 75K
I have 3 unused certificates expiring end of year due to lack of availability. There is no U space on any flight longer than 2 hours that I might consider booking. But, as a Gold, I could book something, anything, then cancel later and politely ask for my certificate back, with the hope of getting one that expires in 2019.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by sjbsf
I have 3 unused certificates expiring end of year due to lack of availability. There is no U space on any flight longer than 2 hours that I might consider booking. But, as a Gold, I could book something, anything, then cancel later and politely ask for my certificate back, with the hope of getting one that expires in 2019.
There are SFO-EWR, EWR-SFO flights with U availability in the first week of March, non-stops & daytime flights. Starting to see a lot more white on blue in the spring.

James

EDIT: How about SEA-HNL via SFO March 9th. Daytime flight, 55 min connection in SFO, U available on both segments, use 1 GGU and fly First SEA-SFO-HNL and be there at 1:10 pm.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Dec 6, 2018 at 1:54 pm
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I've never tried a GGU on a connecting flight... but one GGU will cover both segments? Or does it take 2 codes?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by nearlysober
I've never tried a GGU on a connecting flight... but one GGU will cover both segments? Or does it take 2 codes?
I GGU will upgrade all connections when U is available and the connection is <= 4 hours. In this case, SEA-SFO & SFO-HNL would both be upgraded with 1 GGU. If the connection is more than 4 hours you would need 2.

I have upgraded ANC-LAX-SJO 6K miles to F with one GGU each on a companion certificate as I have similarly upgraded SJO-LAX-SEA-PVR with 1 GGU each.

James
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I GGU will upgrade all connections when U is available and the connection is <= 4 hours. In this case, SEA-SFO & SFO-HNL would both be upgraded with 1 GGU. If the connection is more than 4 hours you would need 2.

James
If you have a segment between that doesn't have U space, this still works (or is a Q400 aircraft, or OAL).

eg: ANC-SEA-PDX-LAX-DCA. I've done this before and had connections under 4 hours. But not all segments had U, or had F at booking.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
EDIT: How about SEA-HNL via SFO March 9th. Daytime flight, 55 min connection in SFO, U available on both segments, use 1 GGU and fly First SEA-SFO-HNL and be there at 1:10 pm.
Pleasantly surprised to see some U space for GGU if I go from PDX through the Bay to get to HNL for a work trip next month. Now I just need to get the office to ok travel before that space evaporates!
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by williwaw
Pleasantly surprised to see some U space for GGU if I go from PDX through the Bay to get to HNL for a work trip next month. Now I just need to get the office to ok travel before that space evaporates!
I just used 3 GGUs on a March OAK-LIH leg. Very pleasantly surprised to be able to use them on that.
williwaw and DrAlex like this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

I have upgraded ANC-LAX-SJO 6K miles to F with one GGU each on a companion certificate as I have similarly upgraded SJO-LAX-SEA-PVR with 1 GGU each.

James
Congrats on finding LAX-SJO U space...I've been checking those LAX-SJO/LIR flights and U space is far more scarce than NYC or Hawaii flights, even during the somewhat "off" season of summer...weird.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Congrats on finding LAX-SJO U space...I've been checking those LAX-SJO/LIR flights and U space is far more scarce than NYC or Hawaii flights, even during the somewhat "off" season of summer...weird.
I found it this summer. Ironically the only segment I couldn't find on SEA-LAX-SJO-LAX-SEA was... drum roll... SEA-LAX.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Thanks, we have flown twice to Costa Rica on GGUs with a companion certificate as part of a Mileage Run, mini vacation. We have visited the Country 3 times, all on companion certificates.

There wasn't any U space availability when I booked flights to do a same day return LAX-SJO last Saturday. We sat in Premium on the way down but were upgraded to F on the way back. Technically, this last weekend we were never in Costa Rica. We simply transited the airport. Off the plane, walled to connecting flights, went through security and then got back on the same aircraft.

There was definitely availability in early November to both LIR & SJO which was nearing the end of the wet season.

J
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
I just used 3 GGUs on a March OAK-LIH leg. Very pleasantly surprised to be able to use them on that.
I also used 4 GGUs for SJC-KOA-SAN coming up this weekend with SAN-SEA waitlisted and SEA-YLW only on Q400 service. I booked that with a companion certificate (are we seeing a trend here yet? ). About 3 weeks out 2 U opened on SAN-SEA flight so I called AS and applied my last two GGUs to that segment.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.