What to do with all those GGU's?

Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Finkface
More info would help. Your status? Your companion’s status?

Your profile doesn’t say what status you have, if any. I am going to assume that your companion does not have status based on your post. If you are MVP Gold/75k, then yes, you will both be eligible based on your status. If basic MVP, then no, you will not be put on the upgrade list with another person on your PNR.
I'm MVP. I understand both won't be put on upgrade list. But will I be put on the upgrade list? I don't see myself being put on the list...
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by platinumorwhat
I'm MVP. I understand both won't be put on upgrade list. But will I be put on the upgrade list? I don't see myself being put on the list...
No. If you are MVP you can waitlist if you are the only person on the PNR. If two (and the other is not also an Elite), then NO, you won't be waitlisted as an MVP.

Only MVPG+ can upgrade a second (and only two pax on the PNR) traveler without status. In that case there would need to be two upgrades available for both to be upgraded. It is both or none. If you are next up for an upgrade with a companion and only 1 upgrade is available, you are skipped by.

James
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also: once your upgrade window opens you can still select premium seats. You will pay for the companion's seat but not your own (or, depending how much you like your companion, you can just put yourself in premium for free and not sit together)
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
It’s beginning of November and I’m still not sure what to do with mine...
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; AAdvantage;Delta Silver
GGU

Originally Posted by QT31415
I've tried giving them away, ignoring them, crying over them - there's no way to use them, so what do you all do? And why does Alaska still even pretend that they're a perk? Help!
In the past FT allowed these to be given away. And I gave many away. This year I was gifted GGUs by a MVPG75 friend and was able to use them on a red-eye MR OGG-PDX, PDX-SEA for two.

So you can gift them, just not through FT.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by sueinjuneau
In the past FT allowed these to be given away. And I gave many away. This year I was gifted GGUs by a MVPG75 friend and was able to use them on a red-eye MR OGG-PDX, PDX-SEA for two.

If you qualify for Coupon Connection you can give them away there --- unless something has changed?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sueinjuneau

They are traded and gifted away on Coupon Connection all the time so yes, you can give them away on FT....there is a whole thread for freebies (lounge passes that are about to expire, coupons for hotel breakfasts, etc.).
Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
They are traded and gifted away on Coupon Connection all the time so yes, you can give them away on FT....there is a whole thread for freebies (lounge passes that are about to expire, coupons for hotel breakfasts, etc.).
If your account has sufficient longevity and the required amount of posts. Not for those popping by looking to trade or be gifted something.

James
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
An MVPG could buy an M fare (which may be the cheapest Y bucket available) at 121 hours and will be upgraded before the MVPG75K who purchased a K fare and was moved to the upgrade request queue at 120 hours when U failed to Open.

Fully refundable Y or an S fare would put an MVP immediately onto the upgrade waitlist too, not into the MVP upgrade request queue which would give the MVP priority for upgrade over any complimentary upgrades, even MVPG75K.

James
This is the part I don't understand. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth keeping my 75K status on AS. With the new upgrade policy, it seems that money wins over status every time. If upgrades are easier to get via higher fare class vs status, then what is the point of status?

I recently purchased a SEA-LIH ticket (R, cheapest coach availabe) for tuesday evening with a return on Thursday - this midweek, low season ticket had no U space despite empty F seats. 48 hours out and can't use status or GGU to upgrade until AS decides to release the seats, and even then, someone who purchased an upgradable fare months ago will get the upgrade over a 75K who is too frugal to pay for an upgradable seat when there's no upgrades available.

I guess there's always the chocolate bar....
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QT31415
This is the part I don't understand. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth keeping my 75K status on AS. With the new upgrade policy, it seems that money wins over status every time. If upgrades are easier to get via higher fare class vs status, then what is the point of status?

I recently purchased a SEA-LIH ticket (R, cheapest coach availabe) for tuesday evening with a return on Thursday - this midweek, low season ticket had no U space despite empty F seats. 48 hours out and can't use status or GGU to upgrade until AS decides to release the seats, and even then, someone who purchased an upgradable fare months ago will get the upgrade over a 75K who is too frugal to pay for an upgradable seat when there's no upgrades available.

I guess there's always the chocolate bar....
I'm not sure I understand the complaint. It seems reasonable to me that instant-upgrade fares would clear before fares that require you to wait for your window.

An MVP with a Y ticket would have priority over you at T-121... why not at T-119? It seems like, if they are ahead of you, they are ahead of you... the order shouldn't switch when your upgrade window opens.

I think that the key is, as 75k:

1. Your instant-upgrade fares are much, much cheaper, and
2. You win if you are both in non-instant-upgrade fares
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:46 pm

Hi -

I just burned another one for a friend. Traveling 12/23 LAX-PDX. He thanked me profusely --- he was about to get stuck in a middle seat.

Kind of what these are all about, right?
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

I just burned another one for a friend. Traveling 12/23 LAX-PDX. He thanked me profusely --- he was about to get stuck in a middle seat.

Kind of what these are all about, right?
Absolutely. I would prefer someone get some use out of them, even a stranger, than see them expire unused.

James
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:00 am

Hi -

Back in the day when we used to get paper certs, I used to stop by the AS ticket counter in PDX, then find the ticket agent I know and hand him my unused ones. He always said he would make sure they found a good home.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
I’m looking for a good home for a bunch of mine before year’s end.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:11 am

Hi VX N281VA -

if you know someone behind the counter at AS, see if you can just give them your upgrade codes. he guy I know uses them on vets, the disabled or people "having a bad day" (and haven't we all been THERE before).

It is funny how 4 of my friends ask me "if I can get them upgraded". One result of the new(er) upgrade policy is the I can.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.