What to do with all those GGU's?

Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mangoMan
U space just opened up on the return leg of a Hawaii ticket I'm targeting for next summer. Thought about using miles, but the "U fare" for a mileage upgrade is significantly more than the regular coach fare. However, the "U fare" for a GGU upgrade is not much more than the regular coach fare.
You have enough posts to access Coupon Connection....there should be a ton of them over there, especially this time of year with only a few months left before many expire.

Last edited by dayone; Oct 29, 2018 at 8:02 pm Reason: Redact quoted post.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, M Life Gold, Wyndham Diamond, Caesars Diamond, IHG Plat
I was forced to use my last 2 GGU on a PDX-LAS flight next week. I was trying to use them on a PDX-HNL flight, F class was completely open but no U space.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:56 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note: This thread is a discussion of the difficulty of using GGUs. It is not for offers for or solicitation of unused GGUs. Some posts have been edited. Future off-topic posts may lead to additional actions including possible thread closure.

dayone, AS Moderator

Last edited by dayone; Oct 29, 2018 at 10:49 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
In 2018, I used them for SFO/SNA, gifted some for SFO/SNA/SJD (and the SFO/SJD was F4U0 up until the end, so I never got to UG them on the long segment), and was going to use them for an upcoming short hop, which was $30 more (on a $59 ticket) for the short hop just to have the opportunity to use them (and even if I did, there was no instant UG). So, I'll slum it in Premium if my UG doesn't clear. I also tried to gift one a few months ago, on a qualifying fare, to no avail.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:22 pm
Suspended

i'm new to Alaska. I was matched to MVP. I have a trancon flight and would love to be upgraded. On my ticket, it says "This reservation is not eligible for online GGU" What does that mean? I also see "First Class waitlisted" which is probably due to MVP status. Just confused. Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by platinumorwhat
On my ticket, it says "This reservation is not eligible for online GGU" What does that mean?
(bolding added: as an MVP you don't get these issued to you as part of your elite benefits)

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...guest-upgrades[

Guest upgrades

Guest upgrades are electronic upgrade codes given to MVP® Gold members to upgrade friends or family members who are not traveling with them, or for their own use for immediate upgrade when not purchasing a qualifying fare. Once you have qualified for MVP® Gold status, your guest upgrade codes will be deposited into your My account profile.
GGU: Gold Guest Upgrade.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:57 pm
Suspended

I understand that. Let's say someone will give me a GGU code so that I can apply to get upgraded. How can I use the GGU? I read on this forum about U ticket requirement. Can you clear that up for me? Thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
i'm new to Alaska. I was matched to MVP. I have a trancon flight and would love to be upgraded. On my ticket, it says "This reservation is not eligible for online GGU" What does that mean? I also see "First Class waitlisted" which is probably due to MVP status. Just confused. Thanks for your help!
As an MVP Elite member you won't have earned any GGUs but you or anyone even without status can use them if they are gifted. There would need to be "U"pgradeable space available on your flight at the time of booking and you would need to pay the fare that is eligible for an upgrade. Once the flight is paid for, you would apply the GGU and be immediately upgraded into F.

Without any GGUs and U space available you can still purchase an eligible fare for your Elite status and get the immediate upgrade after purchase but the eligible fare for an MVP (Y or S) will be considerably more than when using a GGU. In some cases, more than the outright purchase of discounted F which comes with a 75% COS bonus and Lounge Access.

James
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:07 pm

I understand that. Let's say someone will give me a GGU code so that I can apply to get upgraded. How can I use the GGU? I read on this forum about U ticket requirement. Can you clear that up for me? Thanks!
You would need to call AS and upfare your ticket to the eligible fare to use the GGU and U space needs to be available on your flight.

James
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:12 pm
Suspended

James, thanks a lot for the clarification. Looks like U space is not available (though 6 of the 8 seats are still not booked). I booked the MVP (R type) fare so looks like i only need to hope for a waitlist upgrade. Flight costs are now 3 times the price i bought at. Not sure if it's worth spending additional $300 and wait for U space to open up.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
If you keep reading the link I included, it talks about "How do I apply guest upgrades to a reservation?"

If you keep reading past that, it says "Tickets purchased in G, R, or T classes of service are not eligible for guest upgrades (please select "MVP® Gold guest" from the "Upgrade type" list when shopping at alaskaair.com/planbook to view eligible fares for your itinerary."

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
You would need to call AS and upfare your ticket to the eligible fare to use the GGU and U space needs to be available on your flight.

James
And since it's a coach fare, unless OP pays for full refundable Y, which wouldn't require a GGU to be immediately upgradable when U opened anyway since OP is MVP, there would be a $125 change fee involved in the upfare in addition to the surcharge for a GGU-eligible fare.

So no, OP, you're right, just wait and see if you get upgraded and don't bother with using a GGU.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Oct 30, 2018 at 5:20 pm
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Saw one sole U spot on a OGG-SFO flight 11/2 .... if you want to try for a run back from paradise.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
And since it's a coach fare, unless OP pays for full refundable Y, which wouldn't require a GGU to be immediately upgradable when U opened anyway since OP is MVP, there would be a $125 change fee involved in the upfare in addition to the surcharge for a GGU-eligible fare.
According to AS, an MVP upfaring where there is no change to the itinerary other than the upfare is NOT subject to the change fee. I have that in writing. As a 75K, I never purchase an eligible fare if there isn't any U space open unless, of course, the cheapest Y fare is already an eligible fare. I would never recommend an MVP do it either.

Without U space, I don't see the benefit of buying a GGU eligible fare. There is no COS. An MVPG could buy an M fare (which may be the cheapest Y bucket available) at 121 hours and will be upgraded before the MVPG75K who purchased a K fare and was moved to the upgrade request queue at 120 hours when U failed to Open.

Fully refundable Y or an S fare would put an MVP immediately onto the upgrade waitlist too, not into the MVP upgrade request queue which would give the MVP priority for upgrade over any complimentary upgrades, even MVPG75K.

James
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
We are using my four on SEA-LIH in the winter. But it took very flexible dates (hello, Wednesday to Monday trip) and being willing to connect through PDX on the return, and even then we had to wait until U space opened up on SEA-LIH to use the second two. A hassle, and one that I subscribed to EF to help manage, but it will be worth it. But I understand the frustration at how hard these can be to use.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
According to AS, an MVP upfaring where there is no change to the itinerary other than the upfare is NOT subject to the change fee.
Really? I'm an MVP (not gold) and when I tried to upfare to P on the website (same flight) it was trying to charge me $125 + fare difference.

I asked about it here (different thread) and was told that the fee was only waived if it was an upfare to F

Is this something where you have to call in and ask for it? Because the website doesn't respect this rule automatically.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.