Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with all those GGU's?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
If you have a segment between that doesn't have U space, this still works (or is a Q400 aircraft, or OAL).

eg: ANC-SEA-PDX-LAX-DCA. I've done this before and had connections under 4 hours. But not all segments had U, or had F at booking.
Thanks for the data point.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I also used 4 GGUs for SJC-KOA-SAN coming up this weekend with SAN-SEA waitlisted and SEA-YLW only on Q400 service. I booked that with a companion certificate (are we seeing a trend here yet? ). About 3 weeks out 2 U opened on SAN-SEA flight so I called AS and applied my last two GGUs to that segment.

James
Is it possible to get more than one companion cert per year per person? Does BoA let you have multiple of the same cards open?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Is it possible to get more than one companion cert per year per person? Does BoA let you have multiple of the same cards open?
Yes, at least sometimes. I was up to four a couple of years ago, dropped down to one, and recently added a second. My guess is that odds are better on an additional card after you’ve paid a couple of annual fees on the one you have, but very limited data to support that.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:33 pm

I have two Bank of America Visa Accounts and three MBNA Canadian Mastercard accounts. The Canadian AF just recently increased to $99 CAD but I still get 1 mile for each $1 CAD I spend on the accounts. That is eqivalent to 1.34 Miles per $1 USD.

I don't use the Canadian Accounts for Foreign currency purchases as they do not have the "no foreing currency exchage fee" benefit. I use the US based accounts for the 3X on AS purchases.

As an aside, I see AS have a link on their homepage tonight for a 40K bonus if you apply through Alaska.

James
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: AS 75K
I have two and the wife has one...she's thinking about picking up a second (she just doesn't know it yet...)
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by spamman808
I have two and the wife has one...she's thinking about picking up a second (she just doesn't know it yet...)
I am thinking of picking up another one too. That would give me a companion certificate to use every other month. It seems like I am often anxiously awaiting my next Annual Fee and more than happy to pay it. My itinerary savings last week would pay the annual fee for 15 years.

James
spamman808 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:38 am

It's kind of annoying when you have a K fare, and the flight is showing A1 U0
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UserMark
It's kind of annoying when you have a K fare, and the flight is showing A1 U0
I agree...at least in the past, that was very rare.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
On the opposite end of the problem spectrum:

I found some U space to use my GGUs over the holidays for SFO-JFK and JFK-SEA. Called in to have it cleared. GGU's applied and U confirmed, but never removed from my account. Please AS, take them away from me!
pbelmore likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Any way to waitlist-apply a GGU when there isn't current availability?

I have a GGU expiring end of this year (e.g., in about a week). Don't currently have any status on AS.
I'm flying from MCO to SFO in Feb 2019 and was excited to find an upgradeable flight last night. Stupid me, went to book it this morning... no longer upgradeable.

I bought it, assuming I'd have the option to at least waitlist myself with a GGU for the flight in case it opens up. But after purchase, though I was prompted at upgrade with a GGU, I got an error message saying "no flights upgradeable."

Any workarounds with this? Or should I just donate / trade this GGU while there are still days left before it expires?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can't waitlist a GGU.

You can watch for U space (or set an EF alert if you are a subscriber) and when it becomes available, call in to upfare to K (if you are not already K or higher) and apply the GGU.

Honestly this is kind of a ridiculous benefit.. you need a level of knowledge that most flyers don't have in order to use it. I wonder what percentage of GGUs expire unused? 80%? More?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Ah, that's what I was afraid of.
So, basically, if there's no space in the next 8 days, I'm out of luck, right?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ThatAdamGuy
Ah, that's what I was afraid of.
So, basically, if there's no space in the next 8 days, I'm out of luck, right?
Some people have said that your can apply the GGU to another reservation, then cancel, and you will get the GGU returned to you with a new expiry date. So if you are ok with making a dummy booking that you have no intent of flying (technically against the AS ToS but whatever) you can find a flight with U space, book it, apply the GGU, and then cancel after Jan 1 (I assume you are gold+ so you can do this with no fee)

At least that's my understanding from reading this (and other) threads. I've never actually done this. You might want to research a bit more (or maybe someone else will confirm or deny that this works)
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
yes, AS will reissue a GGU if you cancel the original booking, but it requires speaking with a Mileage Plan rep

in my experience as MVPG the best approach has been to cancel the original res by phone rather than on the website/app, and explicitly mention that you need to have the GGU reissued ... the phone agent will transfer you to the MP desk
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Guess I will be letting mine expire at the end of the month. Never really tried using them and "forgot" about them until a recently saw a post about the perk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.