What to do with all those GGU's?

Reply

Old Nov 1, 18, 2:08 pm
  #46  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
More info would help. Your status? Your companionís status?

Your profile doesnít say what status you have, if any. I am going to assume that your companion does not have status based on your post. If you are MVP Gold/75k, then yes, you will both be eligible based on your status. If basic MVP, then no, you will not be put on the upgrade list with another person on your PNR.
I'm MVP. I understand both won't be put on upgrade list. But will I be put on the upgrade list? I don't see myself being put on the list...
platinumorwhat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 18, 3:37 pm
  #47  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AA, AS Gold 75K, BA, QF, SQ, Marriott Platinum Premiere
Posts: 2,095
Originally Posted by platinumorwhat View Post
I'm MVP. I understand both won't be put on upgrade list. But will I be put on the upgrade list? I don't see myself being put on the list...
No. If you are MVP you can waitlist if you are the only person on the PNR. If two (and the other is not also an Elite), then NO, you won't be waitlisted as an MVP.

Only MVPG+ can upgrade a second (and only two pax on the PNR) traveler without status. In that case there would need to be two upgrades available for both to be upgraded. It is both or none. If you are next up for an upgrade with a companion and only 1 upgrade is available, you are skipped by.

James
Flying for Fun is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 18, 2:04 pm
  #48  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,912
Also: once your upgrade window opens you can still select premium seats. You will pay for the companion's seat but not your own (or, depending how much you like your companion, you can just put yourself in premium for free and not sit together)
VegasGambler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 18, 10:56 am
  #49  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 111
Itís beginning of November and Iím still not sure what to do with mine...
flyingislove is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 18, 4:00 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: JNU
Programs: AS MVPG; AAdvantage;Delta Silver
Posts: 89
GGU

Originally Posted by QT31415 View Post
I've tried giving them away, ignoring them, crying over them - there's no way to use them, so what do you all do? And why does Alaska still even pretend that they're a perk? Help!
In the past FT allowed these to be given away. And I gave many away. This year I was gifted GGUs by a MVPG75 friend and was able to use them on a red-eye MR OGG-PDX, PDX-SEA for two.

So you can gift them, just not through FT.
sueinjuneau is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 18, 4:19 pm
  #51  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Seattle WA, USA
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titan, AS MVPG&AL, others no status
Posts: 3,353
Originally Posted by sueinjuneau View Post
In the past FT allowed these to be given away. And I gave many away. This year I was gifted GGUs by a MVPG75 friend and was able to use them on a red-eye MR OGG-PDX, PDX-SEA for two.

So you can gift them, just not through FT.
If you qualify for Coupon Connection you can give them away there --- unless something has changed?
Westcoaster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 18, 4:50 pm
  #52  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Posts: 7,290
Originally Posted by sueinjuneau View Post
In the past FT allowed these to be given away. And I gave many away. This year I was gifted GGUs by a MVPG75 friend and was able to use them on a red-eye MR OGG-PDX, PDX-SEA for two.

So you can gift them, just not through FT.
They are traded and gifted away on Coupon Connection all the time so yes, you can give them away on FT....there is a whole thread for freebies (lounge passes that are about to expire, coupons for hotel breakfasts, etc.).
PDXPremier is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 18, 5:30 pm
  #53  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AA, AS Gold 75K, BA, QF, SQ, Marriott Platinum Premiere
Posts: 2,095
Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
They are traded and gifted away on Coupon Connection all the time so yes, you can give them away on FT....there is a whole thread for freebies (lounge passes that are about to expire, coupons for hotel breakfasts, etc.).
If your account has sufficient longevity and the required amount of posts. Not for those popping by looking to trade or be gifted something.

James
Flying for Fun is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 18, 9:03 pm
  #54  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SEA-LIH
Programs: Alaska 75K, Marriott Platinum and Chairman's Club
Posts: 151
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
An MVPG could buy an M fare (which may be the cheapest Y bucket available) at 121 hours and will be upgraded before the MVPG75K who purchased a K fare and was moved to the upgrade request queue at 120 hours when U failed to Open.

Fully refundable Y or an S fare would put an MVP immediately onto the upgrade waitlist too, not into the MVP upgrade request queue which would give the MVP priority for upgrade over any complimentary upgrades, even MVPG75K.

James
This is the part I don't understand. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth keeping my 75K status on AS. With the new upgrade policy, it seems that money wins over status every time. If upgrades are easier to get via higher fare class vs status, then what is the point of status?

I recently purchased a SEA-LIH ticket (R, cheapest coach availabe) for tuesday evening with a return on Thursday - this midweek, low season ticket had no U space despite empty F seats. 48 hours out and can't use status or GGU to upgrade until AS decides to release the seats, and even then, someone who purchased an upgradable fare months ago will get the upgrade over a 75K who is too frugal to pay for an upgradable seat when there's no upgrades available.

I guess there's always the chocolate bar....
QT31415 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 18, 10:09 pm
  #55  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,912
Originally Posted by QT31415 View Post
This is the part I don't understand. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth keeping my 75K status on AS. With the new upgrade policy, it seems that money wins over status every time. If upgrades are easier to get via higher fare class vs status, then what is the point of status?

I recently purchased a SEA-LIH ticket (R, cheapest coach availabe) for tuesday evening with a return on Thursday - this midweek, low season ticket had no U space despite empty F seats. 48 hours out and can't use status or GGU to upgrade until AS decides to release the seats, and even then, someone who purchased an upgradable fare months ago will get the upgrade over a 75K who is too frugal to pay for an upgradable seat when there's no upgrades available.

I guess there's always the chocolate bar....
I'm not sure I understand the complaint. It seems reasonable to me that instant-upgrade fares would clear before fares that require you to wait for your window.

An MVP with a Y ticket would have priority over you at T-121... why not at T-119? It seems like, if they are ahead of you, they are ahead of you... the order shouldn't switch when your upgrade window opens.

I think that the key is, as 75k:

1. Your instant-upgrade fares are much, much cheaper, and
2. You win if you are both in non-instant-upgrade fares
VegasGambler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 18, 11:46 pm
  #56  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,440
Hi -

I just burned another one for a friend. Traveling 12/23 LAX-PDX. He thanked me profusely --- he was about to get stuck in a middle seat.

Kind of what these are all about, right?
Flying for Fun likes this.
Orwaid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 18, 11:53 pm
  #57  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AA, AS Gold 75K, BA, QF, SQ, Marriott Platinum Premiere
Posts: 2,095
Originally Posted by Orwaid View Post
Hi -

I just burned another one for a friend. Traveling 12/23 LAX-PDX. He thanked me profusely --- he was about to get stuck in a middle seat.

Kind of what these are all about, right?
Absolutely. I would prefer someone get some use out of them, even a stranger, than see them expire unused.

James
be_rettSEA likes this.
Flying for Fun is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 18, 12:00 am
  #58  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,440
Hi -

Back in the day when we used to get paper certs, I used to stop by the AS ticket counter in PDX, then find the ticket agent I know and hand him my unused ones. He always said he would make sure they found a good home.
Orwaid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 18, 7:38 am
  #59  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: LAX, BOS, and Seat 1A
Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 387
Iím looking for a good home for a bunch of mine before yearís end.
VXforever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 18, 10:11 am
  #60  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,440
Hi VX N281VA -

if you know someone behind the counter at AS, see if you can just give them your upgrade codes. he guy I know uses them on vets, the disabled or people "having a bad day" (and haven't we all been THERE before).

It is funny how 4 of my friends ask me "if I can get them upgraded". One result of the new(er) upgrade policy is the I can.
Orwaid is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread