Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Dumb question-how many miles does a flight earn?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

OK, I know this is a kindergarten question, but I cannot seem to find on the website how many miles each flight is worth. I find myself, for the first time ever, just a few thousand miles away from Gold, and want to shop around for a mileage run. I feel silly asking, because I know it's got to be there somewhere! Pro advice for finding max miles for min cost? I don't mind hunting a bit!
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Travelinangel
OK, I know this is a kindergarten question, but I cannot seem to find on the website how many miles each flight is worth. I find myself, for the first time ever, just a few thousand miles away from Gold, and want to shop around for a mileage run. I feel silly asking, because I know it's got to be there somewhere! Pro advice for finding max miles for min cost? I don't mind hunting a bit!
The number of elite-qualifying miles earned (which, in some FFPs is not the same as the number of redeemable miles earned) will depend on the class of service booked, and perhaps on the airline flown (if AS lets you earn elite-qualifying miles on partner flights).

I expect that a Google search will get you to the page on the AS website that explains all this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
It's the straight-line distance between the two airports in US statue miles. You can use Great Circle Mapper to calculate the distance.
Alaska offers a minimum earning of 500 miles on any single flight leg - so you will get the same number of miles if you fly WRG-PSG (31 mi) and PDX-SMF (479 mi)
FlyerDigits likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
www.milecalc.com is also quick and easy.

James
pcoll and FlyerDigits like this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by sturges
It's the straight-line distance between the two airports in US statue miles. You can use Great Circle Mapper to calculate the distance.
Alaska offers a minimum earning of 500 miles on any single flight leg - so you will get the same number of miles if you fly WRG-PSG (31 mi) and PDX-SMF (479 mi)
...and back in the days when I was working, the SEA-PDX and return shuttle was wonderful. Distance 135 miles each way but qualifying miles earned, 1,000. Of course if I were doing it today I would consider driving or taking the train due to the damn ATC holds.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by sturges
there is a caveat I believe… If you were on a single flight number with multiple snaps, you do not get 500 miles for every leg.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
www.milecalc.com is also quick and easy.
I'll second this, its quick, easy and I don't think I've ever had a mile estimate from there be off by more than 10 miles of what AS actually posts to my account.

Also, while you're on AS website if you add a flight to your cart, before you start the checkout process, it will tell you the class of service & estimated mileage.

In the example here, you can see the it is an "S" fare and that should earn 150% elite qualifying miles based on AS fare classes.

So, you could expect approximately 1430 miles.
FlyerDigits and PlowJockey like this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70

there is a caveat I believe… If you were on a single flight number with multiple snaps, you do not get 500 miles for every leg.
You are correct. It is called a direct flight, not non-stop. In the case of a direct flight you earn miles from A-C not A-B + B-C. Still 500 minimum.

James
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!! This is exactly what I needed. Appreciate the help.
FlyerDigits likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by nearlysober
I'll second this, its quick, easy and I don't think I've ever had a mile estimate from there be off by more than 10 miles of what AS actually posts to my account.

Also, while you're on AS website if you add a flight to your cart, before you start the checkout process, it will tell you the class of service & estimated mileage.

In the example here, you can see the it is an "S" fare and that should earn 150% elite qualifying miles based on AS fare classes.

So, you could expect approximately 1430 miles.
AS fails if you have a connecting flight < 500 miles as it will total the actual miles for each segment and not account for the 500 minimum. Try your orgin at BLI (+92 miles) or YLW (+218 Miles.) You could also have a mixed "bucket" fare. Purchased F(P) connecting from mainline to Q400 (or vise versa) would yield F with 75% COS mailine and full Y on Q400 @ 50% COS.

I developed a spreadsheet that allow each segment to be handled independently and Milecalc for the distances. CX flights are actual miles flown with no 500 minimum. I agree that the Milecalc numbers are accurate within 10 miles either way.

James
Old Oct 26, 2021, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
AS fails if you have a connecting flight < 500 miles as it will total the actual miles for each segment and not account for the 500 minimum. Try your orgin at BLI (+92 miles) or YLW (+218 Miles.) You could also have a mixed "bucket" fare. Purchased F(P) connecting from mainline to Q400 (or vise versa) would yield F with 75% COS mailine and full Y on Q400 @ 50% COS.

I developed a spreadsheet that allow each segment to be handled independently and Milecalc for the distances. CX flights are actual miles flown with no 500 minimum. I agree that the Milecalc numbers are accurate within 10 miles either way.

James
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I found conflicting answers to the question of whether a <500 mile connecting flight will be posted as a minimum of 500 EQMs (750 EQMs with the current 1.5x bonus), or whether the actual distance of the <500 mile connecting flight will be added to the actual distance of the other leg(s)? In other words, let's say I'm flying PDX-SEA-ANC: Would I get a minimum of 500 EQMs (750 EQMs) for the PDX-SEA leg, plus the EQMs on the SEA-ANC leg?
Old Oct 26, 2021, 2:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by KE81
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I found conflicting answers to the question of whether a <500 mile connecting flight will be posted as a minimum of 500 EQMs (750 EQMs with the current 1.5x bonus), or whether the actual distance of the <500 mile connecting flight will be added to the actual distance of the other leg(s)? In other words, let's say I'm flying PDX-SEA-ANC: Would I get a minimum of 500 EQMs (750 EQMs) for the PDX-SEA leg, plus the EQMs on the SEA-ANC leg?
So long as it's two non-stop flights, with distinct flight numbers (very likely the case), then yes. If it's a "direct" flight, with a stop in SEA, continuing on the same aircraft to ANC, then it would be the total of PDX - ANC earned vs PDX - SEA (500 min), SEA-ANC when it's 2 separate flight numbers.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
So long as it's two non-stop flights, with distinct flight numbers (very likely the case), then yes. If it's a "direct" flight, with a stop in SEA, continuing on the same aircraft to ANC, then it would be the total of PDX - ANC earned vs PDX - SEA (500 min), SEA-ANC when it's 2 separate flight numbers.
A direct flight will not be listed as two flights in your itinerary. If you purchase flight SEA-PSP that is what your itinerary reflects even though there is a stop in SFO enroute.

Adding up the miles for the individual segments in the itinerary before purchase won't be accurate if there are sub 500 mile flights since the actual flight miles are displayed. They will be topped up to the 500 mile minimum once the flight is flown & the miles post.

James
KE81 and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 8:30 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
In the current mile earning system, does the 25% bonus for H & K fares apply to both RDMs and EQMs?

I assume so reading the Alaska website. But for so long it was only YBM that got bonuses in coach that I guess I hadn't realized this changed.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
In the current mile earning system, does the 25% bonus for H & K fares apply to both RDMs and EQMs?

I assume so reading the Alaska website. But for so long it was only YBM that got bonuses in coach that I guess I hadn't realized this changed.
Yes, COS bonuses are both EQM & RDM. The Elite bonus RDM applies only to the base miles without the COS.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.